Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:07:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mesh Network - Continued Discussion - New Idea  (Read 735 times)
VoR0220 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 07:50:18 AM

So I came across this thread while googling about Mesh Networks: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=666425.0

For those who don't know what a Mesh Network is, here is a youtube video to get you up to speed on what the idea is and why it's important: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tEkyLOh-tY
An interesting idea I had while reading this is not so much a means of global reach so much as talking about the problem of SuperNodes that would allow for the necessary efficient transcontinental travel in a mesh network.

This could be possibly achieved by creating a new ISP by a Mesh Network foundation that would take on the sunk costs of establishing infrastructure for the project (most likely in a city as that is the area where ISPs actually can maintain some semblance of competition), that would make a superNode that takes information from any anonymous node that had theoretically been passed by some user deep off in the mesh network. The ISP then recoups its costs by charging larger fees on a packet of data to transmit across a continent/large area, or it could take the google model and divvy it out for free on the basis that the user reciprocates some data about themselves in exchange for the service.

Thinking about this with the mindset of this particular project in mind that utilizes a cryptocurrency like protocol to incentivize the relaying of information across the network
 http://www.openlibernet.org/

The pros of this as I see it are that users would see lower costs due to less need to travel to a large node as the main route and correct me if I'm wrong but the ISP would also therefore be easier to establish and maintain. Not sure if there would be increases in speed or efficiency of data packet travel.

The cons as I see it are that we have to use a ISP still. However, this is mitigated by the option to do it in an encrypted fashion and still potentially get it for free.

Again, this is meant mainly to take on the concept of supernodes in a practical way and to discuss the potential flaws and benefits of going about this route. Discuss.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mark Messa

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 08:19:43 PM

I liked the idea. Is there an active mailing list about it?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: