Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:36:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most important security measures  (Read 827 times)
CryptoNext (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 08:06:41 AM

When judging an exchange platform, what are the most important security measures that you look for before you feel you can trust it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 09:02:56 AM

When judging an exchange platform, what are the most important security measures that you look for before you feel you can trust it?

2FA Wink of course with the most secure 2FA.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:31:24 PM

Multifactor authentication, ability to lock payout address, deposit addresses that change for every transaction.
hemry

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 04:02:52 PM

It would be better for the industry if you would consider doing something else than launching new exchange if you have questions about security. Security requirements for an exchange go way above technical security. Compliance to AML/KYC regulations should be on top of your list, which will drive technical requirements.
meowball

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 11:41:04 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2014, 12:53:02 AM by meowball

SSL/TLS on transportion layer for any links between client and server, and server and database. Encryption for "data-at-rest". Attention to server and database security (i.e. firewall). Redundant and constantly backed up servers and databases. Spam and DDoS protection. MFA supported (optional) for sending transactions and logging in.

Multifactor authentication, ability to lock payout address, deposit addresses that change for every transaction.

Not sure what the big deal is with changing a deposit address for every transaction. In an exchange, your account is associated with your addresses or any new address that is created for any transactions that you make with your account, so there's no reason to create a new address for every new transaction. I can see that this could be beneficial for someone who creates addresses offline outside of any exchange or service in hopes to not let anyone ever link your behavior with any one of your addresses, but an exchange is an exchange. You have an account on an exchange and your addresses will be associated with your account.

However, I don't see this as a big deal at all. What's important is if the exchange is able to obfuscate the transactions that you make by moving the responsibility of transacting on behalf of a user through a "super"-address that is owned by the exchange. This is done by moving your funds into this "super" address. This way, even though it may be possible to determine that your address is linked with a particular exchange, it is not possible to determine the transactions you make. In this way, it adds a layer of security that is unique versus creating your own addresses offline because it's difficult to track what you do, considering the exchange does not store the transaction history that is linked to your account.

EDIT: I can see that if the previous address was deleted and its connection to your account was totally wiped, then I understand changing the deposit address for every transaction would work as a security measure. Not sure if this is good practice tho. Think of it like deleting your private key (wallet.dat if we use qt as an example) and starting all over for every new transaction you make. Is this what bitcoin was designed for? I'm not sure. For me personally, a new address for every new transaction is edging towards paranoia.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 12:44:11 PM

It is one of hardest questions ever made I think. One of most serious measures - never send any passwords to E mails and have good antivirus in your server.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: