Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:29:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to remove QT Wallet completely ?  (Read 1166 times)
safeminer (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:08:21 PM

Hello, I am having a problem where QTwallet is not synchronising anymore.

First bitcoin refused to start everytime after i closed it. Then a fresh install would allow me to start bitcoinqt again. But if i closed it next time i would have to reinstall again.

Then i upgraded my client to the latest 8.4 i believe.

Now it gives me a message in the bottom: You might need to upgrade, or different nodes need to upgrade (something like that i have dutch client)

Its stuck in a corrupt blockchain or something, but if i delete bitcoin, delete everything in my appdata except wallet.dat, After a new installation it will say it is reindexing the blockchain on the harddrive, which means it still is there and then its stuck again.

TLDR:

How to remove bitcoin QT wallet and everything that comes with it, so that after i install it, i will have a new wallet inwhere i put my wallet.dat backup. And redownload the full blockchain fresh.

THANKS ALOT FOR WHOEVER SOLVES THIS !!!!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:38:11 PM

TLDR:

How to remove bitcoin QT wallet and everything that comes with it, so that after i install it, i will have a new wallet inwhere i put my wallet.dat backup. And redownload the full blockchain fresh.

THANKS ALOT FOR WHOEVER SOLVES THIS !!!!!!!

What operating system?  (Windows, OSX, Linux)?

After you get installed and running, be aware that you need to add "checklevel=2" to a configuration file or you will likely be forced into a "reindexing" on every startup.  For details see the following thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290923.0
safeminer (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:52:24 PM

Oh lol sorry yes Windows 7 64 Bit i am running  Roll Eyes
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:57:32 PM

Oh lol sorry yes Windows 7 64 Bit i am running  Roll Eyes

In this case the blockchain is stored in:
C:\Users\{YourUserName}\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin

As indicated here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory
Windows

Go to Start -> Run (or press WinKey+R) and run this:

Code:
explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin

Bitcoin's data folder will open. For most users, this is the following locations:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application data\Bitcoin (XP)

C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin (Vista and 7)

"AppData" and "Application data" are hidden by default.

Remove that Bitcoin directory, and you will have removed your wallet file and your blockchain.

Note, that if you don't have a good backup of your wallet.dat file, then removing this directory will result in the permanent loss of any bitcoins that you currently have in this wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: