Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:35:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved]Abnormal hash/s rate on PCIe x1 slot. [.1 BTC Bounty-Paid]  (Read 3471 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 04:35:43 AM

Not sure i follow your results since yuo only list one connections side.

so the 1x to 16x is the one that workd correctly but a 1x to 1x did not?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 05:04:11 AM

Not sure i follow your results since yuo only list one connections side.

so the 1x to 16x is the one that workd correctly but a 1x to 1x did not?

I never purchased a 1x > 1x adapter, just the 1x > 16x, and that is the adapter I tested on.
ChanceCoats123

Activity: 682

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 01:04:07 PM

Did you ever end up trying a new miner? I personally think that it's just a faulty extension (maybe shipping damage), but I would want to completely confirm my hashrate before putting more money into it. I think a new motherboard is definitely not necessary. That's an unneeded expense if you ask me.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 04:55:36 PM

Did you ever end up trying a new miner? I personally think that it's just a faulty extension (maybe shipping damage), but I would want to completely confirm my hashrate before putting more money into it. I think a new motherboard is definitely not necessary. That's an unneeded expense if you ask me.

Nah, as it the miner mines just fine with the two 5850's in the two pcie x16 slots. Yea me too, I believe the adapter might be at fault here. The adapter I've got does not look like the one on cablesaurus , it has gigabyte printed on the x16 slot of the adapter with a white pin plug but I looked at the soldering job before I used it to make sure no contacts were touching each other, they looked fine but the soldering job is for horse shit on it. Like a very cheaply made one. If I do get a new board it won't be for a while and might not at all with these new supposedly butterflylabs machines coming out.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 05:11:07 PM

I am going to go ahead and refund the 0.5 BTC you paid me for the extender, just in case it was the extender.

Although it worked fine for me, who knows what could have happened in shipping.

I will send it to the address in your signature.

Hope you sort it all out and get back to full speed mining!

Edit: I am also sending you the .1 bounty you paid.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 05:20:46 PM

I am going to go ahead and refund the 0.5 BTC you paid me for the extender, just in case it was the extender.

Although it worked fine for me, who knows what could have happened in shipping.

I will send it to the address in your signature.

Hope you sort it all out and get back to full speed mining!

Edit: I am also sending you the .1 bounty you paid.

Don't do that. What if it is my board? So, yea, don't do that. Even if it turns out bad, don't worry about it as no one would have known.

Please don't.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 05:25:18 PM

It is already done.

It is quite alright, as a business person I would not feel right keeping the coin.

I have always run my business in this manor, and perhaps I could be more successful if I didn't, but it is who I am as a person.

pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 05:27:08 PM

It is already done.

It is quite alright, as a business person I would not feel right keeping the coin.

I have always run my business in this manor, and perhaps I could be more successful if I didn't, but it is who I am as a person.

oboy, what if it's not the adapter? Even if it was, makes me feel like utter shit.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 05:31:54 PM

It is already done.

oboy, what if it's not the adapter? Even if it was, makes me feel like utter shit.

Don't, we are talking about 0.6 BTC here, hardly anything to feel like shit over.

I am just happy that I was able help a fellow form member, do not give it a second thought.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 05:36:47 PM

Very kind and thoughtful of you. I apologize for all this.
ChanceCoats123

Activity: 682

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 06:02:15 PM

Note to self: Dreamwatcher is a stand up member.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 04:49:01 AM

Note to self: Dreamwatcher is a stand up member.

Word.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:48:03 PM

Ok.

I had received a pcie x1 > pcie x16 adapter from sadpandatech, I am mining normally on my pcie x1 slot @ normal hashrates. 370 mhash/s.

So, it was the adapter that dreamwatcher mailed off to me. I know dreamwatchers attentions were good, so don't let this think otherwise of him as he was trying to help me.

I can now mark this thread solved, and I will leave it open for others to scope it out.

Btw, dreamwatcher, where had you purchased the adapter from, if you don't mind me asking? I was notified before I purchased sadpandatechs adapter that he had got his from cablesaurus.com.

So, I thank everyone, everyone, for helping me solve this and everyone that had shipped off quickly an adapter to me, dreamwatcher and sadpandatech.

Thank you to all.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 08:18:12 PM

From an Ebay vendor called Emilyandlily.

My guess is that it was damaged in shipment, as when I pulled it , it was was working OK.

Those are some delicate solder points from the ribbon cable to the slot board, possibly weakened through my own use.

Perhaps a good lesson here is not to buy used risers, as after use, the solder points could be in a weakened state that are more likely to be damaged in shipping.

I am glad you were able so solve your issues, and I think we both both learned a valuable lesson.  Smiley
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 08:30:24 PM

any of the ones I either was going to be flexing a lot or were not wrapped very good at the connectors, I have taken and ran a few windings of electrical tape around the soldered points on the pcbs. So far, so good.

I have had 1 extender that arrived bad (a 1x to 1x), though I am not completely certain. I may have used it briefly when testing cards and assumed the card was giving me a hard time before I verified the connector as bad. No visible signs of borken connections on it. I did not troubleshot it as I had extra around at the time.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: