Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:09:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did bitcoin jump up in price so suddenly in the past 2 weeks?  (Read 10425 times)
mrkent (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 256

Try Purse Instant! https://purse.io/instant

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 11:27:55 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2013, 11:27:37 PM by mrkent

I'm sure this has been talked about, but searching for it has proven extremely difficult.

May 3 2013 edit:
It's funny readying through history. 50% of these answers can be used for everything that happened in the past month.

Spend BTCBTCBTCBTCBTCBTC @ amazon
Save 10-25% with Ƀ worldwide - PurseIO
Anonymously▃▃▃▃▃▃ ⌚Fast ⚖Safe ⓑOn Credit
Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 11:30:47 PM

Bitcoin historically has been very unstable but over the last four months has been stable hovering around a constant with no major rises.  This is just the market correcting its self.

vssa

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 11:49:57 PM

Here is why:http://alturl.com/5c8a6
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:07:59 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2012, 01:23:29 PM by Raphy

This is not an explanation this is an attempt to fuel another bubble. But it won't be a remake of june 2011. Why? Because the market is much more stable than before, much more multi-currency, people remember the bubble from last year and start selling each time bitcoin price increases.

So I think there will be a steady growth, matching the growth of the economy, slowly, but not a fly to the moon bubble where a bitcoin is worth 1000 in 2 months. Sorry.

As for the last two weeks, there are multiple signs that bitcoin is catching up in various markets, there an afflux of new bitcoiners from all over the world (or at least of funds from all over the world), hence the rise.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:49:05 AM

Some hedge fund has accumulated enough BTC at $5 level and now they are going to push the exchange price up. Due to limited supply, this push will be very effective, no one can stop it, and they will dump those BTC on the rise Roll Eyes

mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:05:37 PM

This is not an explanation this is an attempt to fuel another bubble. But it won't be a remake of june 2011. Why? Because the market is much more stable than before, much more multi-currency, people remember the bubble from last year and start selling each time bitcoin price increases.

So I think there will be a steady growth, matching the growth of the economy, slowly, but not a fly to the moon bubble where a bitcoin is worth 1000 in 2 months. Sorry.

As for the last two weeks, there are multiple signs that bitcoin is catching up in various markets, there an afflux of new bitcoiners from all over the world (or at least of funds from all over the world), that why were seen this rise.

Your post is reasonable and logical. It has no place on the economics sub-forum. GTFO.

Just kidding. I agree with what you said.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:25:06 PM

The truth is that nobody really knows for sure. It's all just *educated guessing.

*sometimes
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:34:35 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2012, 03:27:51 AM by Raize

I made a post about 6 months ago that attempted to explain what I saw happening in the Bitcoin world here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53949.40

I forecasted pretty steady growth, which we've mostly seen. But there are a number of other factors that have arisen since that time.

Bitcoin is getting more secure
One, the fact that more and more FPGAs are being purchased and that ASIC is being talked about means that a government or large financial institution 51% attack on the Bitcoin network is going to get significantly more difficult to implement. The value being put in to prevent such an attack actually increases the value of a Bitcoin itself. At some point it will be widely recognized that it is impossible for any single entity to establish a 51% attack on the network.

Once that happens, the value of a Bitcoin will be based directly on its inherent function as: a medium of exchange, a unit of account (divisible and fungible), a store of value, a standard of deferred payment, and a measure of value.

Right now there is still some question as to whether or not one institution or individual will attempt to "corner the market" on mined coin, thus making all of the above significantly more difficult to assess with regards to Bitcoin, however it is getting less likely ever day. I imagine that continued security over time means demand has been increasing for Bitcoin slightly faster than the 7200/day rate at which they are being added to the network.

Mining is becoming a more mature business
Supply might also be tightening as more miners are factoring in December's reward-halving into their return on investment (ROI), meaning they are far less willing to sell at lower prices. Coupled with the increased security and other options for spending coin within the network as opposed to simply "cashing out", more miners are seeing the benefits of delaying a sale right now. At some point the bulk of their stored coin may get sold en masse, though, and we could *could* potentially see the price head back down. There have also been some slightly delays will selling coin via the largest exchange, so some miners have chosen other exchanges or alternative methods.

More options for keeping Bitcoins within the network now exist
GLBSE is a great example of a Bitcoin "sink" to a certain extent. While many people who obtain dividends from companies listed on GLBSE are choosing to sell their coin, many simply considered those investments a sunk cost and simply reinvest, thus keeping the money within the network. While the operator of a mining company does have to purchase hardware, and thus has to sell the coin, they are doing so in a much more delayed manner than previously, and their shareholders may not be approving them to spend coin as readily.

There are simply more people playing the game
Every new business or Bitcoin user also becomes a Bitcoin "sink" as they probably want to hold or have some coin on hand at all times relative to their interest. Many of them may sell immediately to pay off USD-denominated debt, but with banking and lending institutions now handling some of this within Bitcoin, others may need to buy in order to fulfill obligations. As interest increases, more and more of these users are active and more and more want to hold or have coin on hand.

I guess we'll see over time if increases remain steady, but I suspect to continue to see it do so as more and more people use it more and more regularly.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:23:10 AM

The truth is that nobody really knows for sure. It's all just *educated guessing.

*sometimes

best response here... imo

though, i will add (another hypothesis Cool) that maybe some of it has to do with the bitcoin award size for miners being reduced from 50 btc to 25 btc around this coming december. A buy up before the potential run-up. Seems pretty low risk considering the level trading for the past months.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:51:25 AM

Could it be Bitcoin Magazine?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ReginaldBuxley

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:40:17 PM

My pure speculation theory, based in no market reality other than human nature: I suspect human beings like things in "nice packages" including valuations.

I feel that the hover at 5.xx was nothing more than wanting to value the BTC at a fair & solid constant. High stability around values divisible by 5 and 2. After a few more weeks of cycling, I suspect we'll sit at $8 for a while before hitting $10.

Now that I have predicted this, it will never happen.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:26:39 PM

I guess that 20% Magazin,30% News media internet,50% Bitcoinica

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 03:40:17 AM

I guess that 20% Magazin,30% News media internet,50% Bitcoinica
What about the China market growth, new Columbia exchange, and BitInstant's "700,000 locations" availability, all in a short time, probably had something to do with it in addition to the three you mention.
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:58:49 AM

BitInstant was a huge factor IMO.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 12:30:56 AM

BitInstant was a huge factor IMO.

Yes, having a way for people to get bitcoins within very little time and not being gouged 30% or more has been helpful.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 08:41:10 PM

So is it a good idea to buy AT MARKET or should we still purchase limit orders and risk those orders will never be filled and the value of BTC continues to rise?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:09:30 PM

So is it a good idea to buy AT MARKET or should we still purchase limit orders and risk those orders will never be filled and the value of BTC continues to rise?

Depends - what's your time horizon, next week or next year? If you're holding long term, just buy @ market. If you're taking a short term position, there isn't much depth back to a little over 7, chance it.
DATA COMMANDER

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:04:20 PM

If BitInstant was a major factor, then expect the price to continue to rise. FastCash4Bitcoins is totally operational and legit (in my experience at least) and now offers overnight ACH. BitInstant + FC4B = fast and easy BTC<->USD, which has been a bit of a Holy Grail for a while now.

Tips are appreciated (very tiny tips are perfectly okay!) 13gDRynPfLH3NNAz3nVyU3k3mYVcfeiQuF
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 08:59:20 AM

Just after the news that BFL ASIC is coming

ASIC miners will increase the whole network hashing power a lot (so does difficulty), this will dramatically reduce the availability for BTC for average person, so either they invest in ASIC miner or use those money to buy BTC now

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 09:32:35 AM

Just after the news that BFL ASIC is coming

ASIC miners will increase the whole network hashing power a lot (so does difficulty), this will dramatically reduce the availability for BTC for average person, so either they invest in ASIC miner or use those money to buy BTC now

Agreed. The ASIC miners will hoard bitcoins because less will be generated through mining as difficulty rises and block havling occurs.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: