Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:45:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini Rigs in the wild!  (Read 14505 times)
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:40:24 AM

Faulty after 1 day ? not very impressive. Now what if the buyer is in Europe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cmg5461

Activity: 369

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:41:22 AM

The buyer is fucked

If I've helped: 1CmguJhwW4sbtSMFsyaafikJ8jhYS61quz

Sold: 5850 to lepenguin. Quick, easy and trustworthy.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:49:55 AM

BFL said they weigh 50 lbs.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:08:16 PM

Did I read correctly that the Mini Rigs Require a 208v circuit and not a 110v?

I would like to know this as well.

Also giga, how loud are these?  Can you put something on youtube?

I can post a video when I am back in town in July.

How heavy are they? 10-20 pounds? Or more?

1 mini rig is 45lbs. They are monsters.

Did you trade in your Singles or are you still using those?

The singles are still running strong. They are the most maintenance free mining devices I have ever used.

Equipment breaks. What IS impressive is BFL's response and how they are handling the situation.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:24:32 PM

Yeah, doesn't inspire much confidence of their extensive "burn-in" testing...
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:59:54 PM

Equipment breaks. What IS impressive is BFL's response and how they are handling the situation.

Good to hear, but I expect it's only a matter of time before people pop up to troll about this.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:25:01 PM

One could argue though that the failure rate after burn-in is very low. 

So lets ask Giga:  would you rather BFL did longer burn-in on all of your units, delaying shipment.

OR send them all and have three in production and have them deal with the situation of a failed one like a rock-star?

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:36:40 PM

It could have been jostled in shipping. The burn in may have went just fine.
Buckwheet

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:40:33 PM

The only reason I didn't order the mining rig was because of exactly what happened here. I am not saying its anyone's fault. Giga is down 25Gh with that machine being down. I ordered all singles just so that if individual singles break down I am not out such a large chunk of hashing power.

ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:44:38 PM

The only reason I didn't order the mining rig was because of exactly what happened here. I am not saying its anyone's fault. Giga is down 25Gh with that machine being down. I ordered all singles just so that if individual singles break down I am not out such a large chunk of hashing power.

If you don't want to ship it back, you can take out the individual modules and run them ? will take a bit of DIY.
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 01:46:40 PM

It's a bad PSU and doesn't appear to be the fault of shipping damage.  I think this one's on us.  We were eager to get these units out and should have burn tested a bit longer.  We've paid for the return frieght, will swap the PSU and point it at Gigga's credentials while we run it through a longer burn.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:49:49 PM

It's a bad PSU and doesn't appear to be the fault of shipping damage.  I think this one's on us.  We were eager to get these units out and should have burn tested a bit longer.  We've paid for the return frieght, will swap the PSU and point it at Gigga's credentials while we run it through a longer burn.
Cool of you guys to pay overnight freight for a 50 lb box. That had to be expensive.

If such a thing happened in the future, how simple is it to swap the PSU? Any more complicated than in a normal PC?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Buckwheet

Activity: 169

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:52:41 PM

If you don't want to ship it back, you can take out the individual modules and run them ? will take a bit of DIY.

But like Giga, this is not something I would be opening/messing with on day one.

BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 01:54:39 PM

Cool of you guys to pay overnight freight for a 50 lb box. That had to be expensive.

If such a thing happened in the future, how simple is it to swap the PSU? Any more complicated than in a normal PC?

It can be done by the box owner.  The processor trays plug into the PCI-E connectors as do the fan walls & LCD power system.  Only the power trip switch is hard wired.

It can be quite a lot of work though and in Gigga's case, it was really our responsibility...   didn't want to put him through that.

In a worst case scenario, the trays can run without a case and just plug into PCIE connectors of a standard ATX PSU.  Their top fans will keep them cool if sitting in open air.

There are no throttle issues with the Mini Rig cards.  The processors exibit performance edge behavior by giving errors and not via throttling.  Overall, they're much more heat tolerant.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 02:08:23 PM

It can be done by the box owner.  The processor trays plug into the PCI-E connectors as do the fan walls & LCD power system.  Only the power trip switch is hard wired.

It can be quite a lot of work though and in Gigga's case, it was really our responsibility...   didn't want to put him through that.

In a worst case scenario, the trays can run without a case and just plug into PCIE connectors of a standard ATX PSU.  Their top fans will keep them cool if sitting in open air.

There are no throttle issues with the Mini Rig cards.  The processors exibit performance edge behavior by giving errors and not via throttling.  Overall, they're much more heat tolerant.

Thanks for the info - I have a spare PSU just in case...

jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:19:44 PM

Thanks BFL!
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:39:51 PM

^^^ This is why I would send money to BFL if I had any Tongue

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:58:05 PM

We just need more open communication like this and BFL being clear about what they can.   Because they are the "best in breed", its more like a partnership because we are all in it together from Oct going forward until something else comes along.  I am still moving forward in mining, the rules have changed but that happens.

Dalkore

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:27:15 PM

GiggityVPS

No bounty this time, thanks for the pics though.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:49:12 PM

^^^ This is why I would send money to BFL if I had any Tongue

now there's a good idea. " All purchasers of X amount of dollars worth of mining equipment may send in their credentials to be used during burn in testing"

though i imagine that'd be a headache if the pool went down.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: