Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:36:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMiner BE300S Samples Arrived, <0.2W/G Achieved at Board Level  (Read 66384 times)
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 05:29:09 PM

The package turns from QFN to Flip-Chip-LGA,
Package propably will be the same.
These two are inherently incompatible statements Smiley

I was reffering to this:
...The MPW samples...final chips...
The ones that are mounted onto the boards in the pictures shown are the MPW samples, and they aren't FCLGA. If the production chips are to be FCLGA then it would make sense that the package is different between the MPW samples and final chips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 05:52:20 PM

... the MPW samples, and they aren't FCLGA....
No pictures of chip itself so we don't know. There's no reason that it couldn't be a FCLGA... It's not a big processor with over thousand pins so it dosn't need to look like one....

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 06:11:36 PM

No pictures of chip itself so we don't know. There's no reason that it couldn't be a FCLGA... It's not a big processor with over thousand pins so it dosn't need to look like one....
There are pictures of the chip mounted to the board, as well as the board mounting pattern. While you could do a flip chip like that an encapsulate it, it would seem weird to do so with those massive power and ground pads at the bottom if you're planning on pulling most of the heat out the top. You can get overmolded FC packages, but the thermals out the top aren't usually great.

I will concede it could be FCLGA though.
Dexter770221
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 06:25:16 PM

There are pictures of the chip mounted to the board, as well as the board mounting pattern. While you could do a flip chip like that an encapsulate it, it would seem weird to do so with those massive power and ground pads at the bottom if you're planning on pulling most of the heat out the top. You can get overmolded FC packages, but the thermals out the top aren't usually great.

I'm also curious how friedcat want to achive better performance in mass production chips. As for now we only know that with samples he achieved better specs than simulations. 6GH/s | 0.343w/g  vs.  7.2GH/s | 0.2495W/G

Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
antirack

Activity: 489
Merit: 500

Immersionist

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:02:59 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2014, 04:15:28 AM by antirack

Sometimes things are different than they seem, especially in China.

I have seen these small LGA packages in sensors (from Analog Devices) for instance.

friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:09:53 AM

FC, you can probably dispel a little confusion here. The MPW samples you have and are testing are not in the same package as the final chips will be in. The production chips will look significantly different than the test chips, and the board package will be different.
Is that correct?
BE200 -- QFN 8x8 or 9x9
BE300S -- FCLGA 5x5
BE300 Final Version -- FCLGA nxn (n not determined yet)

QFN in a low voltage setting introduces too much overhead, so although we wanted compatibility hard, we chose a different package.

AJRGale

Activity: 767

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:20:03 AM

FC, you can probably dispel a little confusion here. The MPW samples you have and are testing are not in the same package as the final chips will be in. The production chips will look significantly different than the test chips, and the board package will be different.
Is that correct?
BE200 -- QFN 8x8 or 9x9
BE300S -- FCLGA 5x5

QFN in a low voltage setting introduces too much overhead, so although we wanted compatibility hard, we chose a different package.

i thought Flip Chip Land Grid Array (FCLGA), would require pins, or solder balls on the PCB, to connect to the land grid at the bottom of the package. Something like them socket'ed intel cpus, you know, they flipped the chip for the bond pads to face down, for the bond wires to be all inside the substrate.

these BE300S's still look like Quad Flat No-leads (QFN)

now Flip Chip Ball Grid Array (FCBGA), like you'd see on DDR2/3/4 ram, is what i thought the setup would be like.
..if you want exposed dies, you could follow the path of what intel does with one of their gigabit Ethernet controller chips, have the dies backside flush with the top of the substrate. or you could copy knc or cointerra and have bare dies just sitting on the substrate and held by glue.

on the note of compatibility, there was no compatibility between the BE100 and the BE200.  we all like the "drop in and run" idea, but i've never seen too much backwards compatibility with packages like this. so don't kick yourself over it, make the package the way the chips need it, even if you have to go 40 pin DIP, people will work around it

... am i rambling on?
Dexter770221
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 12:25:50 PM

even if you have to go 40 pin DIP, people will work around it
Yeah, I miss alot 40 pin DIP packages...
Those were good times of C51 uC...

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 02:33:43 PM

Heck yeah. PCB costs would suck but I would totally build a miner with DIP. BGA, not so much.

The backward compatibility idea was pretty great, especially when they open-sourced BE200 design, because a lot of folks were working on stuff hoping they'd be able to reuse the same design. Would have been nice, and I'm glad they at least tried to make it happen.

So uh, so when do we get to see the Vcore/GH curve?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Sine(X)

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:13:05 PM

The spring will be an interesting time for sure.  I hope FC and AM build a decent size self mine with their cheap power in China.
AMHash takes 47$/Ths/month (0.8W/Ghs) = 0.08 USD/kwh - is it a cheap power?
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:34:14 PM

The spring will be an interesting time for sure.  I hope FC and AM build a decent size self mine with their cheap power in China.

You have to figure maintenance, internet, staff, datacenter are all included in that $47 / Th/month.  Cheap power would be ~$0.03 / kwh.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 05:02:51 PM

There is cheaper power in CN, however there are plenty of other reasons that manufacturers want farms in other countries even if they're more expensive.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 05:03:37 PM

It might be misleading to post it for the BE300S if he thinks that they're going to be significantly different than BE300 - which its suggested it will be.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:15:26 PM

Is that correct?
BE200 -- QFN 8x8 or 9x9
BE300S -- FCLGA 5x5

What do you expect the Tjc to be for the top and bottom on the production chips?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:51:48 PM

It might be misleading to post it for the BE300S if he thinks that they're going to be significantly different than BE300 - which its suggested it will be.

Right, but at least it'd be a good starting point. We have really good data on expected W/GH at various GH setpoints, but without knowing either the I or the V, the W is basically useless except for cooling concerns and overarching "efficiency" marketability. Sure we can plan heatsinks, but not string lengths or VRM outputs or anything. Even in accurate data is still data.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 06:51:20 AM

Right, but at least it'd be a good starting point. We have really good data on expected W/GH at various GH setpoints, but without knowing either the I or the V, the W is basically useless except for cooling concerns and overarching "efficiency" marketability. Sure we can plan heatsinks, but not string lengths or VRM outputs or anything. Even in accurate data is still data.

the only reason FC is obliged to release any specs at all is due to the fact that the company is in perpetual ISO.
we all know the initial specs will be a wide variation of the finished product, it's always the case with AM.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:13:48 AM

There is cheaper power in CN, however there are plenty of other reasons that manufacturers want farms in other countries even if they're more expensive.

They have to find really cheap power, if you ask me! i want to see 0.01$/KWh! That way they could build a really big farm an mine the hell out of the blockchain. AM isn't a small player, they should go as far as possible and re-claim those 40% in 2015! Also they could continue to offer a cutting-edge cloud mining!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
jdany

Activity: 644

Inspired

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:19:27 AM

They have to find really cheap power, if you ask me! i want to see 0.01$/KWh! That way they could build a really big farm an mine the hell out of the blockchain. AM isn't a small player, they should go as far as possible and re-claim those 40% in 2015! Also they could continue to offer a cutting-edge cloud mining!

I LOVE this talk.
Guns a'blazin.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:41:03 AM

*cough*decentralize*cough*

antirack

Activity: 489

Immersionist

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:57:51 AM

Even if the network wouldn't grow much from today on, claiming 40% of the network possibly means building 100-150MW worth of new Bitcoin mines in 2015. That's about half of all of Google's capacity (265MW) by power combined. And twice the size of Facebook (78MW). And it remains a moving target during and after.

I had a post here with some numbers I put together recently:

Energy Consumption of the Bitcoin Network
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=520977.msg9825138#msg9825138
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: