Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:28:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do you think should be the fool to buy Bitcoin from you for 1000$+?  (Read 4731 times)
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:41:48 PM

first good answer and shows merchant adoption is actually still good for something. Well, maybe there is hope if the merchants are stupid enough to accept bitcoin as volatile as it is.
The businesses I have helped LOVE bitcoin now. There is no reason to face any price swings. You could use a payment processor and give up 1% for the service. That's better than the 3% you give up to a credit card. Bitcoin also allows some businesses to capture new markets. Look at this place I know.
http://centraltexasgunworks.com/ ...

Does the nug store offer a discount for using Bitcoin?  (link pls)

If not, none of my CC charge me the 3% fee you claimed.  

Once again, Bitcoin is more expensive to use than CC Smiley

im pretty sure hes talking from the merchant perspective.

also i think in the end you as the consumer will have to pay the fee because it is already priced in

/edit

btw there are actually some good discounts from big merchants (overstock,dell what i remember right now, also im pretty sure that i saw advertisments of other merchants)

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:00:14 PM

Gyft gives 3% back on all gift card purchases bought with bitcoin.

If gas stations ever sell fuel for bitcoin that will avoid the extra $ per gallon that they charge you for using a credit card instead of cash. Same with vending machines. I know that not all states charge the consumer more for using CC (as it is illegal in some states), but in california many places charge you more if you pay with CC (such as gasoline and vending machines). Usually if it's illegal or just against their corporate practice to charge more for CC, they give "cash" discounts or they just flat out raise their prices across the board.

Hopefully they will take bitcoin like cash, since they don't get hit with the CC fee.

Edit: this also applies to gun stores and dentist offices. Always ask for cash discounts even if they don't advertise it Smiley

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:08:20 PM

first good answer and shows merchant adoption is actually still good for something. Well, maybe there is hope if the merchants are stupid enough to accept bitcoin as volatile as it is.
The businesses I have helped LOVE bitcoin now. There is no reason to face any price swings. You could use a payment processor and give up 1% for the service. That's better than the 3% you give up to a credit card. Bitcoin also allows some businesses to capture new markets. Look at this place I know.

also i think in the end you as the consumer will have to pay the fee because it is already priced in

/edit

btw there are actually some good discounts from big merchants (overstock,dell what i remember right now, also im pretty sure that i saw advertisments of other merchants)

If the retailer is not passing the savings on to me, I'm not interested.  I'm sure most consumers are not, either.  Dell offers no discount for using BTC.  Further, Dell redirects buyers to Coinbase.com, so Dell's not accepting Bitcoin--it is accepting fiat via Coinbase, a payment processor that does.

Not sure how Overstock does it, but I'm sure it's about the same--a cursory glance mentions Coinbase.com.  Overstock also offers its own plastic, giving you savings galore.  I'm sure substantially better than whatever promo they ran for Bitcoin.  If BTC discount is offered, it is certainly unadvertised Undecided

So yeah, chalk up another win for CC Sad
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:12:19 PM

Gyft gives 3% back on all gift card purchases bought with bitcoin.

If gas stations ever sell fuel for bitcoin that will avoid the extra $ per gallon that they charge you for using a credit card instead of cash...

Most gas stations near me offer no cash discount--i stick my card in the pum & I'm done.
Also, see post above.  Major retailers accepting BTC do so through a payment processor.  Payment processors charge for their service, because not Communism Sad
homo homini lupus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:16:04 PM

http://centraltexasgunworks.com/

They were just another tiny gun store in Texas. They had a website, but no traffic. Then they began taking bitcoin and their online business exploded. The website you see was paid for by profits from bitcoin and they are now primarily an online store. Eventually there will be a lot of online gun shops and they will be back to competing on price, but since they went first they have revenue from people who would have never heard of them.

You can call them stupid if you want. But they are crushing it in bitcoin sales.

hehe nice. Once more confirmed:

bitcoin is:
-gambling
-scamming
-drugs
-guns
-[fill in here]

do sales of groceries explode too because of bitcoins? Is there interest from the economy beyond legal grey areas?

edit1:
now wait for overtocks-argument...

edit2:
shit i was right - that was fast  1minute 40 seconds.
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:17:43 PM

/edit

If the retailer is not passing the savings on to me, I'm not interested.  I'm sure most consumers are not, either.  Dell offers no discount for using BTC.  Further, Dell redirects buyers to Coinbase.com, so Dell's not accepting Bitcoin--it is accepting fiat via Coinbase, a payment processor that does.

Not sure how Overstock does it, but I'm sure it's about the same--a cursory glance mentions Coinbase.com.  Overstock also offers its own plastic, giving you savings galore.  I'm sure substantially better than whatever promo they ran for Bitcoin.  If BTC discount is offered, it is certainly unadvertised Undecided

So yeah, chalk up another win for CC Sad

@dell:
i think the clue was about where you would buy from. i think it was like a discount of 20-30% if you bought dell products via btc from china or similiar.

@overstock
overstock is actually holding some % of their btc earnings if i remember correct.

but you are right that both use a payment processor to exchange most of their btc to fiat.
but its still a long(?) way until you will get payed with btc or can pay taxes with it

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:19:38 PM

@dell:
i think the clue was about where you would buy from. i think it was like a discount of 20-30% if you bought dell products via btc from china or similiar.

Link pl0x.  I could find nothing.
For Overstock too, if possible.  "My uncle's friend heard it on IRC" doesn't cut it.
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:48:00 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2014, 10:58:49 PM by criptix

@dell:

For Overstock too, if possible.  "My uncle's friend heard it on IRC" doesn't cut it.

@overstock

http://www.coindesk.com/overstock-ceo-patrick-byrne-1-6m-bitcoin-sales/

@dell

they had an up to 15% discount promotion of alienware stuff.

and if you bought from china with bitcoins you would have saved around 45% because of their foreign exchange controls.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=701178.0

i have a favor good now, took me like 2030 minutes to dig that out --"

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 11:25:16 PM

@dell:

For Overstock too, if possible.  "My uncle's friend heard it on IRC" doesn't cut it.

@overstock

http://www.coindesk.com/overstock-ceo-patrick-byrne-1-6m-bitcoin-sales/

Thanks, I followed the 10% link in the article, which landed me here, but couldn't find a ref. to him holding 10%.  Then I realized I misunderstood the intended meaning, which is:  At the time the article was written, "CEO Patrick Byrne ... now holds "several million dollars" in bitcoin, having recently invested in the currency."

TL:DR:  As I understand it, he is not keeping a percentage of the sales, he holds (owns) several mil$ worth of BTC, which constituted 10% of Overstock's BTC sales to date.  If this is unclear (my fault), I can try to explain it beterer.

@dell

they had an up to 15% discount promotion of alienware stuff.

and if you bought from china with bitcoins you would have saved around 45% because of their foreign exchange controls.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=701178.0

i have a favor good now, took me like 2030 minutes to dig that out --"

Thanks for taking the time (no sarcasm).  Maybe it did take place, but this: "Andy, a Chinese, shared his experience on Weibo (Chinese Twitter). ... He saved 46%" is exactly what I meant by "my uncle's friend from IRC"-- unverifiable, anecdotal evidence.  This fora are full of stuff like this.

Regardless, thanks again for taking the time to find it.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 11:55:28 PM

Yes, what crazy fools to get fractions of currency worth 1000000 per unit which he can spend for the same real world value in goods and serviced...

All them fools getting USD's...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
fewcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 07:16:10 AM

Large investment firms can buy on the tops. In dec 2013 there have been million $ funds that moved into bitcoin at premium ($1,000 +).

Wow you guys all sound like idiots who have no idea how companies work, especially in the investment field...

NOBODY WILL PAY THAT MUCH FOR BITCOIN EXCEPT YOU IDIOTS!!!

You'll keep buying and buying again even though we are down over 70%
This is why the slow bleed down will continue... nice and slow... extracting your "worthless" fiat every week
fonsie

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 08:39:45 AM

Large investment firms can buy on the tops. In dec 2013 there have been million $ funds that moved into bitcoin at premium ($1,000 +).

Wow you guys all sound like idiots who have no idea how companies work, especially in the investment field...

NOBODY WILL PAY THAT MUCH FOR BITCOIN EXCEPT YOU IDIOTS!!!

You'll keep buying and buying again even though we are down over 70%
This is why the slow bleed down will continue... nice and slow... extracting your "worthless" fiat every week

What a coincidence, that's exactly how you sound.

I decided to no longer use a signature, because people were trolling me about it.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:07:25 AM

I don't know who will buy coins at $1000 or whether or not I will have the right to call them a fool.

My take is that btc will continue to gain acceptance, but I don't know when the price will 'turnaround'.

I think it will be something like a major economic shock that sees a run to bitcoin; there is plenty happening at the moment, noticed this today.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/10/uk-ecb-banks-idUKKBN0JO1PH20141210

gr8n8

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:46:19 AM

people will still buy because a $1000 bitcoin still gets you $1000 worth of goods or services at that time
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:18:53 PM

Yesterday I heard about a small bar, that just accepts cash and Bitcoins, because the fees for credit cards and ATM card is just too high for them.
In Austria a lot of merchants that accept credit cards charge extra for that.
I am really amazed how a lot of people just don't realize, that there are other countries, with other laws, fee structure and mentality. Credit Cards are not that widely used here in Austria.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

...Credit Cards are not that widely used here in Austria.

Not every country adopts to modernity as quickly as USA.
Nothing wrong with that, you'll catch up.  There are other developing countries where CC use is even less prevalent.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:55:49 PM

^^^^ Says the advocate of bronze age money.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
turvarya

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:58:34 PM

...Credit Cards are not that widely used here in Austria.

Not every country adopts to modernity as quickly as USA.
Nothing wrong with that, you'll catch up.  There are other developing countries where CC use is even less prevalent.
Are you trying to be funny or are you just an idiot? We don't need CC since we just use ATM cards = less fees, more secure, same convenience.
Calling CC modern is one of the stupidest things, I have heard in a long time.

NotLambchop

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:05:33 PM

^
Yes, ATM, a US Invention.  Enjoy using our hand-me-down technology Smiley
turvarya

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:11:42 PM

^
Yes, ATM, a US Invention.  Enjoy using our hand-me-down technology Smiley
You still fail to explain why cc are better than atm cards.
I'd love to here that.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: