Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:10:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Bloat  (Read 1349 times)
hack_ (OP)

Activity: 501
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 08:52:53 PM

Hi..i just had a random thought and wonder why such a system has not been mentioned or tried.

so, the block chain is bloated and is likely to always bloat after a given number of blocks under the current structure. So i had a thought while reading through some alts, i saw how they imported balances from other chains here is my suggestion:-

After every 50000 blocks, there are 10 "Maintenance" blocks. During this time the app automatically parses the chain for all balances and prepares to import them into a new block. To avoid gaming issues, NO transactions are processed during maintenance blocks. at block 50000+11 whichever solves it adds all relevant balances to a block and alll previous blocks are "pruned/deleted".

That means for every year of blocks, the chain has 1 hour maintenance time whereby it summarizes the year and starts afresh.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
altcoinex

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

Director - www.cubeform.io

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 09:54:41 PM

Hi..i just had a random thought and wonder why such a system has not been mentioned or tried.

so, the block chain is bloated and is likely to always bloat after a given number of blocks under the current structure. So i had a thought while reading through some alts, i saw how they imported balances from other chains here is my suggestion:-

After every 50000 blocks, there are 10 "Maintenance" blocks. During this time the app automatically parses the chain for all balances and prepares to import them into a new block. To avoid gaming issues, NO transactions are processed during maintenance blocks. at block 50000+11 whichever solves it adds all relevant balances to a block and alll previous blocks are "pruned/deleted".

That means for every year of blocks, the chain has 1 hour maintenance time whereby it summarizes the year and starts afresh.

Well, you are mistaken in that it has not been mentioned or tried. In fact, Satoshi covers pruning in the original whitepaper. Grin

Most recently, in Gavin's https://bitcoinfoundation.org/2014/10/a-scalability-roadmap/ post he touches on the current state of implementation of pruning, and it is likely much further along than you expect.

There are several threads that go into detailed discussion about the methodology of implementing pruning effectively and efficiently, and it is very actively being worked on, just search the forums for 'pruning'. Cheesy

╓╢╬╣╣╖
                                   ┌║██████║∩
                                   ]█████████
                                    ╜██████╝`
                                      ╙╜╜╜`
                                   ╓╥@@@@@@╥╓
         ╓╖@@╖,                 ,@║██████████╢@,                 ,╓@@╖╓
       ╓╢██████╢.              ╓╢███████████████╖               ║╢█████║╓
       ║█████████    ,,╓╓,,   ┌║█████████████████┐   ,,╓╓,,    ]█████████
       └╢██████║` ╓╢║██████╢║∩``╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙`»╢╢██████╢║╖  ║███████╜
         "╜╜╜╜` ╖╢█████████╣╜                      └╢██████████@ `╜╜╜╜╜
               ║██████████╜                          ╙╢██████████
              ┌█████████╜                              ╙╢█████████
              └███████╨`                                 ╜████████
               ║████╨╜                                    `╢█████
                ╙╢╣╜                                        └╢█╜
                ,,                                            ,,
             ╓@║██┐                                          ┌██║@╓
            ╢██████                                          ]█████H
           ╢███████∩                                        ┌████████
  ╓@@@@╓   █████████                                        ║████████`  ╓@@@@╖
╓╢██████║. █████████∩                                      ┌█████████ ,║███████╖
██████████ └█████████                                      ██████████ ]█████████
`║██████╜`  └╢████████                                    ┌███████╣╜   ╙██████╨`
  `╙╜╜╙`      `╙╨╢████                                    █████╝╜`       `╙╜╜`
                      ]@╓                              ╓╖H
                      ███╢║@╓,                    ,╓@╢╢███`
                      ████████╢@╖╓.           ╓╖@║████████`
                      ]███████████╢║@╓,  ,╓@╢╢████████████
                       ╙╢█████████████╨` ╜██████████████╜
                         ╙╝╢███████║╜`    `╜║████████╝╜`
                     ,╓@@@╓  `²╙``             `╙²`  ╓@@@╖,
                    ║╢█████╢H                      ╓╢██████H
                    █████████                      █████████`
                    ╙╢██████╜                      ╙╢██████╜
                      └╨╩╝┘                          └╨╩╝╜
WINFLOW.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 10:37:59 PM

It does not help at all, because the number of addresses with balances is still growing.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 01:13:24 AM

It'd help by trimming the addresses that have no unspent outputs but it'd take much more than 10 blocks. There are several million addresses in use and more than 1 GB of active data. The blockchain is at 27 GB, it's still a considerable win but it would take several days of downtime.

hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 01:55:06 AM

Well, you are mistaken in that it has not been mentioned or tried. In fact, Satoshi covers pruning in the original whitepaper. Grin

Most recently, in Gavin's https://bitcoinfoundation.org/2014/10/a-scalability-roadmap/ post he touches on the current state of implementation of pruning, and it is likely much further along than you expect.

There are several threads that go into detailed discussion about the methodology of implementing pruning effectively and efficiently, and it is very actively being worked on, just search the forums for 'pruning'. Cheesy

i've seen the discussions on pruning i meant the exact method i have hinted at
hack_ (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 01:58:25 AM

It does not help at all, because the number of addresses with balances is still growing.

Whats bloating the chain is not balances, its transaction records. by tallying all the balances and creating a block that represents the current state of the chain, there becomes no need to keep all the old data. ie from 27 GB down to a few hundred megabytes.
xcapator

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

Here I Am !!

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 05:09:14 AM

bloating was not really the problem since orphan blocks dont stay on the "disk" necessarily... but the daemon was using more cpu/network bandwidth per tx due that reordering problem

gmannnnn

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:59:20 AM

1) pruning
2) not really all that bloated. Adding ~150mega a day at max is not really a big deal right now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: