Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:56:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest company/coin/country to buy and hold Gold?  (Read 847 times)
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:51:10 PM

I did a search and gave up after 5 mins. I saw this article and got thinking about buying gold certificates with Bitcoin and holding them. But I wonder how safe the vaults are and what country and company is less likely come a global reset to not confiscate your gold?

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114175/top-5-ways-to-own-and-trade-gold-with-bitcoin

*Plus be the most anonymous?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
infovortice2013
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 06:57:55 PM

search for BitGold inside BitShares, are the best ones.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 10:23:44 PM

Switzerland was considered the safe country for storing assets, but AFAIK that's no longer the case.

Why not buying physical gold and keep in in your own possession? You could buy small quantities from different trusted sellers and accumulate large holding.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 10:34:05 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 04:15:50 AM by Lethn

Don't ever buy gold certificates or ETF's, even the most well known gold bugs advise against them, make sure to buy the physical stuff yourself, you're better off buying a simple fireproof safe and storing it at home than trusting anyone else with it. Banks and financial groups for the past century have become experts at scamming people by making them think that the paper they sell can always be redeemed for gold, they play with anything deposited or bought in the background and you're the one that has to deal with the cost if they make any mistakes.

Sure, you could maybe have some sort of guarantee at least for awhile that people with security guards and such will take care of any of your precious metals for awhile, but chances are they might end up pissing off the wrong people and then they're going to lose it all anyway.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 03:58:25 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 04:19:56 PM by countryfree

I see those 5 services at best as scam, as BS at worst.
A better way is to travel to Geneva or Zurich, sell your BTC there via localbitoins and buy gold with the cash.
Then it's easy to store your gold there in a vault.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 04:00:33 PM

search for BitGold inside BitShares, are the best ones.

Those are very risky and has third party dependency. Ok for trading, but not for holding...
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 04:18:30 PM

Anyone knows Amagi Metals? they seem to be doing a hell of a job, and they are Bitcoin exclusive. I would help brands like this. You are buying metal, and helping BTC at the same time.
Studio60

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:25:17 PM

Check out http://vaultoro.com

They claim to be what you're looking for, safe audited physical reserves which you can have delivered anytime and which stay safe even through periods of war/unrest.
victoryboy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:29:05 PM

You asked where to buy from ? This depends on your physical location to see what company suits you more to deliver your easily.For storing to save Gold more securely there is no place than your home.Find some hidden and usual place and hide there well.
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 05:31:46 PM

Anyone knows Amagi Metals? they seem to be doing a hell of a job, and they are Bitcoin exclusive. I would help brands like this. You are buying metal, and helping BTC at the same time.

They're well known. I haven't bought from them yet as intercontinental shipping (to UK) makes it less attractive, but they have good opinion.

AM official thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130831.0

But where did you get the 'bitcoin exclusive' info from? From what I remember they said they hope to switch to bitcoin-only in the next few years but other payments are still shown on their website.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
Moebius327

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:45:07 PM

They're well known. I haven't bought from them yet as intercontinental shipping (to UK) makes it less attractive, but they have good opinion.

AM official thread:

But where did you get the 'bitcoin exclusive' info from? From what I remember they said they hope to switch to bitcoin-only in the next few years but other payments are still shown on their website.

I have bought silver from Amagi Metals as intercontinental shipping once and can only recommend their services and high quality goods. I think the owner has an account here on the forums.

nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:46:02 PM

AM official thread:

A quick look at their site shows the Gold is stored in Switzerland. Maybe in the past Switzerland has been neutral in times of war etc but I personally wouldn't rely on that as part of the EU block which is more than likely to go tits up in the coming years.
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 05:50:26 PM

I see those 5 services at best as scam, as BS at worst.
A better way is to travel to Geneva or Zurich, sell your BTC there via localbitoins and buy gold with the cash.
Then it's easy to store your gold there in a vault.

While I don't know those companies isn't having a gold certificate stored on the blockchain pretty secure, well as secure as and ownership of Gold in a vault ultimately? I mean if you have the claim on a well run vault in a 'safe; country thats quite safe, I mean its not an ETF or something that is ownership of nothing.

Sure holding is ideal but its not always practical plus tax is an issue in most countries.

What are the safe countries if you have stored gold anyway? I'm thinking Asia is the safest, maybe Hongkong or Singapore. I could see confiscation happening anywhere in Europe.
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 05:52:00 PM

A quick look at their site shows the Gold is stored in Switzerland. Maybe in the past Switzerland has been neutral in times of war etc but I personally wouldn't rely on that as part of the EU block which is more than likely to go tits up in the coming years.

Switzerland is not in EU and never was.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 06:14:05 PM

If you want to anonymously buy and hold gold, go to a dealer and buy the physical for cash.

If you want to own certificates representing your gold ownership, probably can't be bought and held anonymously, at least not from anyone reputable. They need your info for tax reporting and for account validation.

In the U.S., there are companies like sunshine mint (www.sunshinemint.com) that let you buy into pools of u segregated gold, basically gold in certificate form. But the costs are quite a bit more than simply buying shares of GLD or IAU, largely due to the economies of scale.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 17, 2015, 06:15:17 PM

Gold is like Bitcoin.
And like Bitcoin in order to truly own it you need to be the sole controller of the private key.
In this case, physical acquisition.

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 06:25:56 PM

Also have a look at BullionVault.com

Gold bought through them can be stored in several different location and you may also take possession if you so wish.

All gold in their vaults are audited daily and the audit is made public on their website.

Just a pity they do not accept bitcoin..... yet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: