Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:05:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty > 1 share adoption suggestion for pool operators.  (Read 3681 times)
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1623

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 10:23:19 AM

With the upcoming HUGE hashing hardware starting to hit, now would be a good time to consider supporting higher than 1 difficulty shares for bigger miners which would allow pools to scale without as much increase in bandwidth and server resource requirements as the increase in hashrates. I'd suggest initially making an optional difficulty multiplier switch for workers on the website, which would scale with the miners' hashrate. Enabling it by default would surprise and confuse many miners, and also some mining software may not support it so they'll just get high rejects unexpectedly. As a rough guess, I'd recommend increasing difficulty by 1 for every 1GH of hashing power. This will not dramatically change getwork rates, but it would change share submission rate and processing of them which is bandwidth and CPU intensive. There would be issues with fluctuating hashrates and difficulty targets when precisely on the 1GH boundaries, and this could be worked around by the user setting their own target or by using some hysteresis for the change up and down of targets to avoid frequently flicking between difficulties.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 10:39:15 AM

We have been discussing higher diff shares going forward
Initially we will offer miners a choice of 2 difficulties.
Over time we will code up some way to do dynamic difficulty as suggested and ensure payouts work correctly with dynamic share difficulties

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:57:46 AM

Will be interesting to see the affect on stale shares - since each stale is worth n times what they were before.
e.g if your difficulty goes up 10 times but your stale rate doesn't go down 10 times, you lose by having a higher difficulty.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:02:26 AM

Will be interesting to see the affect on stale shares - since each stale is worth n times what they were before.
e.g if your difficulty goes up 10 times but your stale rate doesn't go down 10 times, you lose by having a higher difficulty.
Indeed, back to that chance debate I've seen many times before in different forms. Whether the random nature of shares scattered about and when they fall relative to block changes will even out compared to many many small shares. Mathematically to me it would seem to be exactly the same as current shares based on chance: It will fluctuate visibly more but even out long term to be identical.

-ck
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:32:47 AM

It's also worth mentioning this would make things very interesting for the proxy pools out there if they start passing work to pools set up for higher difficulty shares  Wink

-ck
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:01:08 PM

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to review sections 7.5 and 7.6 of AoBPMRS. Having different difficulty shares for different miners is fairly straightforward from the reward method perspective.

Stale rate is measured as a percentage, and as long as the percentage remains the same it doesn't matter what difficulty the share are.

And, the share difficulty should have absolutely no effect on the stale rate.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:07:54 PM

Increasing D for pooled share submissions would increase variance for miners.

The variance in time between share submissions at a constant hashrate will increase by the square of the ratio of the greater difficulty to the lesser one. Increase D from 1 to 10 and the variance of the time in between share submissions increases one hundred fold.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:12:06 PM

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to review sections 7.5 and 7.6 of AoBPMRS. Having different difficulty shares for different miners is fairly straightforward from the reward method perspective.

Stale rate is measured as a percentage, and as long as the percentage remains the same it doesn't matter what difficulty the share are.

Except that with higher difficulty it takes longer to find a share thus the amount of work lost due to a stale increases ......
So no.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:17:08 PM

Except that with higher difficulty it takes longer to find a share thus the amount of work lost due to a stale increases ......
So no.

mathfail
kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:18:48 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 12:34:09 PM by kano

So no.

mathfail
Yep - OK he said % - I was thinking number of shares Tongue
I guess my wording was really bad Smiley

Edit: as long as the number of stales drops by the same ratio as difficulty increases then it will be ok Smiley
My reason for bringing this up is simply that different devices have different characteristics so it will be interesting to see if the differences come into play with LP's and higher difficulty.

Edit2: cgminer reports numbers not % (and I don't look at the pool %) so I guess that's why I messed up.

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:20:00 PM

The variance in time between share submissions at a constant hashrate will increase by the square of the ratio of the greater difficulty to the lesser one. Increase D from 1 to 10 and the variance of the time in between share submissions increases one hundred fold.

If true then the automatic scaling should be logarithmic rather than linear.

-ck
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:34:12 PM

If anything it should be square-root, definitely not logarithmic.

If we assume the miner has a target function with linear factors for expectation and variance, his optimal difficulty doesn't depend on his hashrate, only on his net worth. If we assume his net worth is proportional to his hashrate, then the optimal difficulty grows by the square root of the hashrate.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:41:28 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 07:16:42 AM by organofcorti

The expected number of hashes to solve a D 1 block is 2^48 / as.numeric(0xffff) or approximately 2^32. Each hash has the same probability to solve a D 1 block and create a share, so the probability distribution is geometric. If p = 1/D, the variance for the geometric distribution is:

Code:
(1-p)/p^2

which approaches D^2 as D increases. In the case of D 1, the variance is 1.844731e+19. For D 10, it's 1.844731e+21. The ratio of (D 1)/(D 10) ~ 100.

... and then Meni got there first. What he said about square roots rather than logs.

This bit was all wrong. The CDF of a share passing a particular difficulty is derived from 1/(uniform distribution CDF).

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 12:58:16 PM

Gentlemen, I salute thee o\

-ck
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:44:02 PM

Heh, Deja Vu:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61280.0

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 10:01:16 AM

Miner support for >1 difficulty isn't looking so good: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Getwork_support

But maybe it just needs updating?

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 10:08:29 AM

Just to repeat what was stated in the last thread about this:

Changing the difficulty does not change the frequency your miner will request work.  It will only reduce the frequency you send work back.  For pools, the difference in load here is minimal, it's much harder to send you work than it is to verify work that was sent back.

If the ASICs are real (I still highly doubt BFL will produce anything remotely close to their claims), the entire mining protocol will need an overhaul.  Clients will either have to generate work locally and send it to the pool (similar to p2pool), or a method of getwork where a miner can get a packet of many getworks at once in a condensed format.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 10:12:41 AM

Miner support for >1 difficulty isn't looking so good: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Getwork_support

But maybe it just needs updating?
Indeed. There's nothing like a change to drive development is there?

edit: I updated the entries for cgminer and bfgminer since they support it

-ck
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 10:13:42 AM

Just to repeat what was stated in the last thread about this:

Changing the difficulty does not change the frequency your miner will request work.  It will only reduce the frequency you send work back.  For pools, the difference in load here is minimal, it's much harder to send you work than it is to verify work that was sent back.

If the ASICs are real (I still highly doubt BFL will produce anything remotely close to their claims), the entire mining protocol will need an overhaul.  Clients will either have to generate work locally and send it to the pool (similar to p2pool), or a method of getwork where a miner can get a packet of many getworks at once in a condensed format.
Does proof of work on all those shares coming in require that little cpu? I've never run a pool so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely.

-ck
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 10:23:19 AM

That already exists. It's called rollntime. Sadly miner support isn't very good. To make good use of rollntime the miner should 1: make the best use of the roll range it is given, and 2: never roll further than the server allows ("expire" support).

In my pool I whitelist miners with proper rollntime support. Others don't get rollable work. Currently only DiabloMiner and my own miner (although I'm only now working on actual support in the miner). I will have a look at MPBM and possibly add that. I hope other miners will improve support and I'll whitelist them as they come out. I think ASIC mining without this could be a very bad idea.

Does proof of work on all those shares coming in require that little cpu? I've never run a pool so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely.

If someone gets (through rollntime) 100 work units (nonce ranges) from my pool in 1 request and then send in 100 proofs of work then processing the proofs of work is what's causing server load. Many seem to believe that processing proofs of work is free, but I think we'll see this proven wrong in october.  Cheesy

Indeed. There's nothing like a change to drive development is there?

Yeah. The bitcoin world is in constant change, and it's always do or die for developers. Wink

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: