Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:17:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Bitcoin Bank/Exchange Association in Antartica  (Read 1393 times)
cryptopaths (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:16:37 PM

As I'm sure you all know Antartica is the southernmost region in the world and the only continent to have no native population, In accordance with this 7 countries have maid claims to Antartica (claims not even recognized by other nations). However One large piece of land Marie Byrd Land lays unclaimed with a land size of 1,610,000 km2 (620,000 sq mi) it is the largest unclaimed land mass in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Byrd_Land

*note: The intent of this is not to claim the entire land mass of Marie Byrd Land

To achieve this a scientific Micronation/Nation/Assocation will be established with an intent to further gains/research in cryptography, this will not be a country in the traditional sense but more of an Assocation or Union that will grant a membership/citizenship of sorts to Assocation/Union members.
To understand the "law" some treaty nations abide by here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System

I was one of the people vocal about centralization and the bad the Bitcoin Foundation was doing they were corrupt and getting away with to much, I commend advancements like the Lighthouse project and the such that advance crypto in an unprecendented way, so this may lead people to wonder why I would be in favor of something "centralized" like this? Well to put it truthfuly a bank/exchange is heavily needed that does not fall under the jurisdiction of any government and can work in favor of the crypto community. It should be well established that an actual tangible exchange is needed for fiat exchanges to work and not be constantly frozen by 3rd parties. Wouldn't you be in favor of exchanging your crypto/fiat as you see fit without a 3rd party needlessly nosing in making things more difficult?

I stress this is a new kind of "Nation" it isn't like a conventional one but gives self determination to the individual allowing them to take care of their own affairs. Diplomatic relations will be under way with Nations that we feel fall under the same direction such as St Kitts and Nevis. Things such as a free travel treaty could be under way with nations like this and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River.

The Bitcoin/Bank Exchange will have it's location set as the Nation/Assocation in Marye Byrd Land to give ourselves scientific self governing rights and operate outside the jurisdiction of other Governments while still being in accordance and not breaking any laws(see the Antartic Treaty System).

This is the next step in Crypto and brings a new age away control and brings power to the individual to govern there own affairs.

In that vein I would be happy if anyone in the Crypto community would like to join me and expand this project and help it gain fruition this is an ambitious goal and one I'm sure many of us would like to achieve. If you would like to be involved in this project reply here or send me a private message.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:39:17 PM

while i find the idea of setting up an unregulated money exchange in no-one's land very appealing, you can forget about any reliable link with the banking system IMO. So the only way it could be made is just by trading in person no questions asked, like pirates and cowboys used to. So the traders would have to pay a visit by boat or maybe helicopter with bags of monies or gold/silver if they wished to buy btc.
[edit] (unless it could work by a global network of agents -but then there would be no point in going there).

And to deal in physical assets in no-one's land you would better invest in maximum security, like an underground bunker and an army.

But that no-one's land could be the right place to startup a sovereign bitcoinland too. It would even solve any cooling problem for miners. It would just take to setup a nuclear power plant or 2 there.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:48:07 PM

I find the idea intriguing. The ability to transact with fiat would be a challenge. To get access to the ach or credit card network would require dealing with banks in the jurisdictions we would be seeking to avoid. For straight crypto to crypto transactions this would not the an issue obviously, but how to get around the existing electronic banking system would be an important issue. 

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:17:32 PM

while i find the idea of setting up an unregulated money exchange in no-one's land very appealing, you can forget about any reliable link with the banking system IMO. So the only way it could be made is just by trading in person no questions asked, like pirates and cowboys used to. So the traders would have to pay a visit by boat or maybe helicopter with bags of monies or gold/silver if they wished to buy btc.
[edit] (unless it could work by a global network of agents -but then there would be no point in going there).

And to deal in physical assets in no-one's land you would better invest in maximum security, like an underground bunker and an army.

But that no-one's land could be the right place to startup a sovereign bitcoinland too. It would even solve any cooling problem for miners. It would just take to setup a nuclear power plant or 2 there.

this guy nailed it. how can an american/europeans get through customs of their home countries with their suitcases filled with bank notes to then send down to antarctica.

also, trying to set up a bank that is fully compliant and in a relationship with banking systems requires alot of red tape of the country you wish to link to, to atleast allow wire transfer. making you part of their banking system and rules.

thirdly its easier and cheaper to set up a credit union within a country rather than to buy land, build buildings, roads, utility/sewerage piping, water side jetties, hotels etc just to set own banking rules. so.. start a credit union in a country that does not have such draconian laws around bitcoin. (try for instance jersey in the bristish channels)

as for the sovereignty part.. unless the land is owned by the queen its not sovereign, but putting that aside the positive i see about having a bitcoin town/city/land is that we the people can go back to the basics of common law (no loss or injury) and live the simple life. without the corporate money grab of fining people for stupid things that wont cause others harm... this can easily be made so within different countries with the right education about laws and contracts. but i wont meander down that road in this post.

back to the subject of a bitcoin city/land, it has been worked out to build a city of 50,000 residents costs atleast $4billion. im sorry but no one is going to contribute over 90% of the entire bitcoin in circulation, for one city. its easier and a hell of a lot cheaper to get fiat investors to help fund a credit union rather then building a small town/city for bitcoiners.

my overall opinion is that for cheapness, effectiveness and actually getting some momentum and achievable goals of bitcoin finance, its better to start within a country with less rules first, again i mention jersey. to then expand later.

and as for a city/land of freedom idea that people also dream of, i love the dream, but i can easily see it becoming a concentration camp where bitcoiners are thrown into and only allowed to use the coin within... so again better to make the world bitcoin friendly by having bitcoin credit unions expand from the starting point of a de-regulated country, and then expand with branches in other countries once the regulators see that the idea/template works.. rather than effectively giving up making the world bitcoin friendly, and having a concentration camp effect..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:26:16 PM

It sounds somewhat interesting and cool to do, but I don't think it really solves any problems that can't be solved more easily.

Fiat can be exchanged just about anywhere in person to person transactions. How is this South Pole Exchange going to get a hold of fiat? Boat it down there? If banks don't want to deal with crypto you won't be able to do it electronically.
beatljuice

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:30:46 PM

And why Antarctica when we'll be on the moon soon?
cryptopaths (OP)

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:35:52 PM

These are all valid concerns that I'm currently working on, one thinking that should we noted though is that this isn't just some dream fantasy cooked up by some super anarchists. This is a strategic plan to further Crypto on a big scale.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:43:38 PM

These are all valid concerns that I'm currently working on, one thinking that should we noted though is that this isn't just some dream fantasy cooked up by some super anarchists. This is a strategic plan to further Crypto on a big scale.

i strongly advise you research:
new hampshire project
hullcoin
jersey bitcoin

these may hold the answers you look for at a decimal percentage of the costs needed to make an island/city

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cryptopaths (OP)

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:48:06 PM

new hampshire project
hullcoin
jersey bitcoin

these may hold the answers you look for at a decimal percentage of the costs needed to make an island/city

Like I said in the OP creating an island/city is not really the point of this project. This "Nation" is unlike other nations and does not operate in the same way (see Scientific Self Governing Assocation in OP).
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:35:14 PM

new hampshire project
hullcoin
jersey bitcoin

Like I said in the OP creating an island/city is not really the point of this project. This "Nation" is unlike other nations and does not operate in the same way (see Scientific Self Governing Assocation in OP).

read the status part of hutt river, where passports and social securities are mentioned. on one hand people think great australia is leaving them alone and cutting ties with that area. on the other hand they do not recognise passports of the area, hence why i said concentration camps.

you do realise that without the whole forming nations, your end goal can be achieved much easier in new hampshire or jersey(in the british isles) simply by knowing the difference between the legal acts of the corporate government, and actual common law. and simply not entering the legal acts by not registering for the electoral register, not accepting social securities and not registering any other government document, such as tv licences, car registrations, taxes. (this is how gypsies are free to roam the land).

to get back to a basic freedoms away from government acts is easier to achieve then an antarctic land grab and building houses for people to live in..

jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:24:16 AM

Interesting idea but it should be mentioned that said land is unclaimed for a pretty big reason  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: