Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:28:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't find wallet.dat  (Read 6281 times)
jibjabz (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:20:05 AM

Installed the BTC client on Windows 7 the other day, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't find my wallet.dat file.

I have all files unhidden and searched my whole hard drive. I had some .cpp files show up but not my wallet.dat file. I've made transactions and everything is working fine, so I assume the file has to be there somewhere.

Any help?
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:47:00 AM

Go to Start -> Run (or press WinKey+R) and run this:
Code:
explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
jibjabz (OP)

Activity: 59

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:52:12 AM

Thanks. Don't know why this didn't show up when I searched my c drive.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:55:10 AM

I think by default Windows 7 only searches indexed locations. It might also skip things in %APPDATA%, which is a hidden folder. I use Agent Ransack for searching, which searches everything very quickly.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
zrataj

Activity: 20
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:10:02 PM

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

replace the "User" with your username.
BookofNick

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 08:55:38 PM

Hi, I have this same problem on my Mac. I did a search for the file "wallet.dat" and can't find anything. According to the Wiki, they should by default do to library>app support>bitcoin, but in App support, there is no Bitcoin folder. I want to back up for security purposes. Can anyone help?

clouds

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:09:25 AM

Hi, I have this same problem on my Mac. I did a search for the file "wallet.dat" and can't find anything. According to the Wiki, they should by default do to library>app support>bitcoin, but in App support, there is no Bitcoin folder. I want to back up for security purposes. Can anyone help?

Make sure you are looking in the "Application Support" folder within your home folder, as opposed to the other "Application Support" folder at the root level of your hard disk.

That is, the file is here:
/Users/<your-user-name>/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/wallet.dat

NOT here:
/Library/Application Support/
BookofNick

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:59:25 AM

Clouds, THANKS, you were right, it was in the "other" library folder.  Problem solved.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: