Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:27:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Emma Meme: SEMANTIC ISSUES NEEDS RESOLVING ~ Please Help!  (Read 13241 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:55:51 AM

I have no idea about this thread..

But!

"I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;a
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.
I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!b
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,c
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.
Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:d
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.
In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a Javelin,e
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery—
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy—
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General."

Your welcome..

I agree with him. If this thread were a standardized test I would intentionally mispell my name and draw pictures on the form.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown penis of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured uncountable years on the Internet, intending very much to replace and destroy centralization.

I'm in the process of penning another post. Please stand by.

~Bruno~
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:24:13 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 02:53:17 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Repetitive.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Better word?

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all [of] the worst shortcomings of fiat currency (by intending to eliminate centralized banking); and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Dispose? Discharge? Relieve? Abrogate? Supplant?

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured [for] uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking (with a decentralized system).

Supplant?

I should have paid more attention during HS English (no college, though I did have a scholarship to MIT that I was not made aware of till my early twenties), but if I did, I probably won't have gotten a perfect 800 on the math part of the SAT (taken at Indian University in '78).

Thank you so kindly, Gladamas, for your valuable input. A revised paragraph will conclude this post coupled with possibly a concern/question or two.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured uncountable years hop-scotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the current centralized banking institute.

So much for trying to keep a handle on the verbiage.

Gladamas is correct about the repetitiveness of the following: faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity. I suggest we keep "notably anonymous".

Further input?

~Bruno~

The original text:

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:50:45 AM

Your welcome..

For? Copying and pasting, without even bothering to clean up the footnotes?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:57:46 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 03:24:57 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

In red is written in stone.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hop-scotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the current centralized banking institute.

In bold, I propose we keep, unless a counter-argument is warranted. Underlined needs addressing.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hop-scotching through cyberspace, intending to(possible keep both words) supplant the current centralized banking institute.

If "promulgated to abrogate" is factually and grammatically correct, I propose we keep that for sing-song rhythm purposes.

I've also changed 'uncountable years' to 'untold years' to keep in the spirit of secrecy.

I opted to use the hyphenated version of 'hop-scotching' so that there still remains one hyphenated word in the final edit.

Original:
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:32:01 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

In red needs addressing. Use the original text below as a guide. I just added the bold text. Would this suffice? Since bank-issued is hyphenated, I changed back to 'hopscotching'.

The good news is that we retained the 40 word count.

~Bruno~
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:21:47 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with shit, this is hard! of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:34:47 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, ordained to supplant the world's central bank-issued promissory notes.

In red needs addressing. Use the original text below as a guide. I just added the bold text. Would this suffice? Since bank-issued is hyphenated, I changed back to 'hopscotching'.

~Bruno~
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:41:09 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, intelligent, notably anonymous, and shy, with a technological drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

A synonym for "intelligent" (bright, brilliant, ingenious) will work also.

Something like "technological drive" (a desire to code? develop software?), but that doesn't sound quite right...

I'm thinking of a better way to rephrase "the world's central bank-issued money."

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:43:52 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 05:25:26 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Please forgive me for editing within your quoted text. I just realized my error.

Satoshi Nakamoto, clever, notably anonymous, and shy, with a Turing drive of abounding alacrity and zest, promulgated to abrogate the shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, ordained to supplant the global central banking promissory notes.

A synonym for "intelligent" (bright, brilliant, ingenious) will work also.

Something like "technological drive" (a desire to code? develop software?), but that doesn't sound quite right...

I'm thinking of a better way to rephrase "the world's central bank-issued money."

Thank you kindly, Gladamas, for this input. Would replacing intending with ordained work?

During you hunt, don't worry too much about the word count at that juncture, for we can make it up, or correct it, elsewhere.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 05:28:00 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 05:58:29 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, inventive, and enigmatically shy, with a "Turing" drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, self-ordained to supplant the global central banking promissory notes.

How close are we?

Original:
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 06:58:21 AM

Thank you kindly, Gladamas, for this input. Would replacing intending with ordained work?

During you hunt, don't worry too much about the word count at that juncture, for we can make it up, or correct it, elsewhere.

~Bruno~

No problem Smiley thanks for the kind words!

Self-ordained works very beautifully.

Here's my thoughts on this:

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with [an?] impellent initiative of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, self-ordained to supplant unitarily-commissioned denominations of money.

I'm not sure if 'unitarily-' is a word... Tongue

We could use "currency" instead of "money."

Original:

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:09:22 PM

WOW!

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with an impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, self-ordained to supplant unitarily-commissioned denominations of currency.

I like initiative but prefer drive because shy/drive and promulgated/abrogate gives the paragraph that singing effect.

I'm glad to see had reintroduced.

Currency does complement commissioned, coupled with the implication of cursing hard-cold-cash.

Thanks for the comment on the word self-ordained. Unitarily-commissioned seems to work nicely, but now we have two hyphenated words, and one has to go. I like yours, therefore mine needs revised.

Either hyphenated word counts as one word, and at the moment the word count stands at 39, one shy of what's needed.

I'm not sure why your an ([an?]) is in brackets and with a question mark. I feel it works fine.

~Bruno~

Original:
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:47:58 PM

Gosh, way to suck all the fun out of it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:50:42 PM

Gosh, way to suck all the fun out of it.

What do we have here? BadBear Driving the Daisys (family)?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:58:58 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 04:44:56 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace, ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

I now realize why [and?] after some research.

His faith in this doctrine, in fact, may not only have ushered in a new train of emotions, but may have set him forth with impellent power on a course of activity that is quite interminable, having both brought a new sensation into his ...

I was hoping to not incorporate added articles, i.e., the the before unitarily-commissioned.

I feel that securing the internet needs mentioning.

Self-ordained to ordained should work just as well, albeit a slightly different connotation.

The word count now stands at 40.

Original:

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:57:56 PM

Reality Check:

• Emma Woodhouse --> Satoshi Nakamoto
  • handsome, clever, and rich, --> notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy,
  • with a comfortable home and happy disposition, --> with impellent drive of abounding alacrity,
  • seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; --> promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency;
  • and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world --> and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace,
  • with very little to distress or vex her. --> ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace, ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

OR

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching, securing cyberspace, then ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.
JesseChisholm

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 06:30:28 PM

Reality Check:

• handsome, clever, and rich, --> notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy,
  • with a comfortable home and happy disposition, --> with impellent drive of abounding alacrity,
  • seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; --> promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency;
  • and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world --> and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace,
  • with very little to distress or vex her. --> ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.
re: Reality Check
Excellent question. (If "reality" is reasonable to apply to this prim rose path. )

Line 1 : the subject
Line 2 : personal attributes of the subject
Line 3 : continued attributes of the subject
Line 4
    On Emma's side   : describes a nebulous attribute of the subject
    On Satoshi's side : describes an action taken by an unknown actor about the subject
Line 5
    On Emma's side   : describes the span of time and domain pertinent to the subject.
    On Satoshi's side : describes the span of time and an action taken by the subject for a goal in a domain.
Line 6
    On Emma's side   : describes the conditions the subject encountered.
    On Satoshi's side : describes in more details the goal required of the subject by an unknown actor.

So, the semantic structure has drifted a bit.

-Jesse
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 06:52:44 PM

Reality Check:

re: Reality Check
Excellent question. (If "reality" is reasonable to apply to this prim rose path. )

Line 1 : the subject
Line 2 : personal attributes of the subject
Line 3 : continued attributes of the subject
Line 4
    On Emma's side   : describes a nebulous attribute of the subject
    On Satoshi's side : describes an action taken by an unknown actor about the subject
Line 5
    On Emma's side   : describes the span of time and domain pertinent to the subject.
    On Satoshi's side : describes the span of time and an action taken by the subject for a goal in a domain.
Line 6
    On Emma's side   : describes the conditions the subject encountered.
    On Satoshi's side : describes in more details the goal required of the subject by an unknown actor.

So, the semantic structure has drifted a bit.

-Jesse

That thought has somewhat occurred to me, hence the "Reality Check". You're valuable contribution, JesseChisholm, is duly noted. I'm going to be out of pocket for a few hours, but when I return this evening, I'm going to work on this further, for your valid points do need addressing.

~Bruno~
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:13:09 PM

Would anyone like me to produce an animation of the text when we're done?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 05:03:14 PM

Would anyone like me to produce an animation of the text when we're done?

Seriously? Seriously, are you serious? I would love to see any of your previous work. I look forward to your reply.

Ça me plaît. (i4t)

~Bruno~

PS: I'm in the process of hashing out Jesse's suggestions. From my vague understanding of semantics, it seems I/we only have it half right.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: