Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:10:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the FBI emptied their cache?  (Read 1208 times)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:00:57 AM

has the FBI emptied all  their seized btc or do they still have some more

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
michaeladair

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:02:54 AM

Hey FBI, empty your BTC right on into my wallet...

+I don't think they will disclose what they do with their btc,
If they were smart I bet they would hold onto it.

malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:08:38 AM

If you are asking if they have sold all their seized bitcoin, then no they have no. They recently sold ~50k bitcoin they seized from Ross Ulbright and have ~50k more of his bitcoin that will be sold at a later date

michaeladair

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:12:00 AM

If you are asking if they have sold all their seized bitcoin, then no they have no. They recently sold ~50k bitcoin they seized from Ross Ulbright and have ~50k more of his bitcoin that will be sold at a later date

I wonder if they're paying IRS taxes on the selling of that bitcoin.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:18:19 AM

I don't think FBI actually needs bitcoin and there are rarely ways to spend it. They only want to cash out all of it.
michaeladair

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:19:17 AM

I don't think FBI actually needs bitcoin and there are rarely ways to spend it. They only want to cash out all of it.

FBI: Pepper Party

TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:44:35 AM

They have 94,000 btc left after the 50k they just auctioned off
To be sold in the coming months

cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:11:50 AM

I am sure bitcoin wont go to moon until they emptied their cache
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:25:45 AM

That's likely to happen
100k bitcoin is a high amount
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:51:30 PM

That is a concern, though it's really only a psychologically high number than much to really worry about, witness the bearwhale incident where a deliberate 30,000 coin dump only depressed market 6% for half a day, whereupon it rebounded a few percent higher and hasn't been down to that level again since.

However, FUDers be FUDers, so if we could jusssst have that out of the way, it would be nice.

So, everybody be good boys and girls so the party van doesn't have to come get your hard drive, coz we're only working on SR1 coins so far, not seen the totals for the recent round of busts the other month.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
michaeladair

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:59:02 PM

That is a concern, though it's really only a psychologically high number than much to really worry about, witness the bearwhale incident where a deliberate 30,000 coin dump only depressed market 6% for half a day, whereupon it rebounded a few percent higher and hasn't been down to that level again since.

However, FUDers be FUDers, so if we could jusssst have that out of the way, it would be nice.

So, everybody be good boys and girls so the party van doesn't have to come get your hard drive, coz we're only working on SR1 coins so far, not seen the totals for the recent round of busts the other month.

You do realize once all this btc is eaten up, the overall value of bitcoin will be higher since more fiat has been spent on it. In a way, this might help the bitcoin economy cause a lot of people will see this as basically a fire sale and will jump on the chance to get a few btc.

exoton

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:14:07 AM

I am personally somewhat skeptical about the bear whale incident. I think it was probably an attempt by someone to try to get the price to go lower so they could buy at higher prices (and were selling to themselves).

I do think that the fact that there will be future auctions by the USMS will likely weigh down on the price until they can dispose of all the bitcoin i their possession
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 01:21:34 AM

This article from a week back gives an idea of how many bitcoins the FBI has.

http://rt.com/usa/211543-bitcoin-auction-silk-road/

The US Marshals Service is getting ready to auction 50,000 Bitcoins worth about $18.5 million, in the biggest auction of Bitcoin in its history, as it tries to sell the virtual currency following the closure of the illegal Silk Road marketplace in 2013.

Thursday’s sale comes after the US government auctioned almost 30,000 Bitcoins in June. After flogging the 50,000, the US Marshals Service will still have more than 94,000 Bitcoins worth about $35 million.

So the US Feds still have more than 94,000 bitcoins to sell. Given that many of the bidders went back empty handed in the latest auction, we needn't be afraid of the impact that these bitcoins will have on the price. They will be absorbed in a jiffy.
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 03:07:54 AM

You do realize once all this btc is eaten up, the overall value of bitcoin will be higher since more fiat has been spent on it. In a way, this might help the bitcoin economy cause a lot of people will see this as basically a fire sale and will jump on the chance to get a few btc.
I think this would only be true in the event that the fact the USMS is going to be auctioning more bitcoin in the future is was not publicly known. However it is publicly known and since markets are efficient they will predict both this future additional supply and the future additional supply potentially "hitting" the market once the auctions are over

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: