Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:41:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there anyone else in the Construction / Engineering / Arch. Fields?  (Read 3362 times)
WiseOldOwl (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 07:31:33 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 05:55:21 AM by WiseOldOwl

Wondering who else is in the field of construction or engineering/ architectual, or manufacturing engineered products.
*Also, any suppliers / vendors should chime in.

These are arguably the most productive fields of work and probably make up a large portion of the worlds commerce.

Let's just start with who's who in this, and go from there Smiley

*This is for everyone from site surveyors to the cable installation guy, and everything in between.

Summary from below posts of Trade / User

So we have-

Estimating / Project Management

Phraust - General Contractor Estimation, Project Management, (5 Years) Residential / Commercial / Govt.

WiseOldOwl -  Underground Utilities Estimating, Plumbing Estimating, Project Management - Residential / Commercial / Govt.

Drywall / Carpentry

Phinnaeus Gage - Extensive Experience and Job Portfolio (Reclaimed Wood Products and Supply also)

Plumbing

WiseOldOwl - Extensive Residential Experience and Job Portfolio, Light Commercial and Small Commercial Portfolio

Electrical

rjk - Medium and low voltage wiring; residential, commercial, and industrial. Life Experience  Cool

dreamwatcher - Electrical Engineer, Design of Electrical Systems (Like that of a car), 25+ Yrs Exp., Expecting Degree in Network Specialization

Technicians

AbelsFire - Advanced Operations Technician (nuclear/etc.), Robotics design, Factory Maintenance, Earning Electrical Engineer Degree

Valalvax - Industrial Technician, working knowledge of electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems as well as PLCs

Handyman - General Maintenance
edd - General Handyman in plumbing, electrical, HVAC. No Formal Title/License but 15+ years personal experience (DryCleaning Shop)

Demolition
honest bob - Demolition, some welding knowledge, Equine / Farm Work - Currently working in lumber yard, and laying flooring, Forklift
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:01:56 PM

I used to be a drywall contractor. The list of projects include, but not limited to:

• Fontanel Mansion (Worlds largest residential log cabin own by Barbara Mandrell)
  • George H. Bush's home in Houston, TX
  • Frank Beard's (ZZ Top) home in Richman, TX
  • Ryman Auditorium--New Drywall & Plaster Repair
  • Loretta Lynn' Pool House
  • Lynn Anderson's Pool House
  • George Foreman's Weight Room
  • Sheb Wooley's Home
  • Randy Travis's Studio
  • James Drury's (The Virginian) Home
  • Webb Pierce's Home Remodel (prior to his passing)
  • Bobby Goldsboro's Home
  • Nolan Ryan's Home

(I may add to list as I recall them)

Now I deconstruct, as well as buy and sell barn wood. Prior to moving back to Illinois to be with my dad for his final years, I used to do same, coupled with building primitive furniture out of old, smelly, century-old barn wood for the Atlanta and Nashville markets, all the while living in West Tennessee. Now I supply the Greater Chicago area, harvesting and buying (and selling to) from seven Midwest states.

~Bruno~
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:13:40 PM

stuff

And yet you still find time to troll the forum. Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Phraust

Activity: 206

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:16:28 PM

I worked for a General Contractor for 5 years as their Estimator/Project manager. Everything from residential (whole house) to commercial and government stuff.  It was ton's of fun, as I started literally on the bottom (part-time general labor), so I got to scrub walls after cement pours, stack and clean forms, etc.  Eventually I was lucky enough to participate in just about everything, from concrete, to welding, to carpentry, to standing steel, rough framing, finishes, drywall, electrical, plumbing, all of it.  When I moved up into the office, I also got to work with the plans, and since i'd already had experience with CAD/CAM stuff, got to build most of the projects we had in 3D.  Made estimation simple, and also brought to light a number of issues that could have posed problems when we were in the field.  Overall, it was a total riot.

Got out of it three years ago, ended up going back to web-design for a bit, and now I'm just loafing around unemployed. Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:34:34 PM

stuff

And yet you still find time to troll the forum. Grin

To be clear, if I'm a troll, I'm not a bad troll, but a good troll, if such a thing exist, otherwise I don't troll. I have on several (hundred) occasions injected humorous posts, if that is what you're referring to. As far as finding time to participate in this forum, I've spend close to 70% here while on the shitter. In fact, I'm penning this now while taking a dump. My barn wood enterprise consists of buying and selling from and to sub-contractors, with me acting as the liaison between parties. Rarely am I out in the field myself, albeit I just returned from a 3-4 trip to Indiana to procure a load(s). I couldn't get anybody else to do that task and didn't want to let it go to some other or, worse, burned. My total cost was only $500 USD (lodging, gas, and in this case, U-Haul rental), but will make a 40X profit on this lumber once processed.

I know you weren't dissing me with your post, but I felt a reply was warranted nonetheless.

Later, bud.

~Bruno~

The following image is not one of which I've supplied wood for, but it is one of what reclaimed barn wood is used for.

WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:53:08 PM

I worked for a General Contractor for 5 years as their Estimator/Project manager. Everything from residential (whole house) to commercial and government stuff.  It was ton's of fun, as I started literally on the bottom (part-time general labor), so I got to scrub walls after cement pours, stack and clean forms, etc.  Eventually I was lucky enough to participate in just about everything, from concrete, to welding, to carpentry, to standing steel, rough framing, finishes, drywall, electrical, plumbing, all of it.  When I moved up into the office, I also got to work with the plans, and since i'd already had experience with CAD/CAM stuff, got to build most of the projects we had in 3D.  Made estimation simple, and also brought to light a number of issues that could have posed problems when we were in the field.  Overall, it was a total riot.

Got out of it three years ago, ended up going back to web-design for a bit, and now I'm just loafing around unemployed. Cheesy

Excellent, where abouts were you located?
For the record I am currently a project manager / estimator too. And it is a pretty awesome job.

I used to be a drywall contractor. The list of projects include, but not limited to:

~Bruno~

Dually noted. Drywall is a vital part of most projects and virtually all homes. Very Valuable Trades... Keep em coming and you will see where I am going soon.
Phraust

Activity: 206

Mostly Harmless...

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:59:45 PM

For the record I am currently a project manager / estimator too. And it is a pretty awesome job.

Heh, in beautiful Hawaii!  There is this thing they call "Hawaiian Time", which is a tounge-in-cheek joke about how no one is on time.  When I was having to deal with every supplier, vendor, inspector, architect and sub-contractor running on "Hawaiian Time", I was constantly pulling my hair out.

Sure, Hawaii is beautiful...  But if you like to get shit done on time, this is not the place, lol.  Still, it was one of the most exciting (and fulfilling) things I've ever done.  It's nice, at the end of the day, to be able to look at a house or project we finished and think "We built that!".
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:31:20 PM

Heh, in beautiful Hawaii!  There is this thing they call "Hawaiian Time", which is a tounge-in-cheek joke about how no one is on time.  When I was having to deal with every supplier, vendor, inspector, architect and sub-contractor running on "Hawaiian Time", I was constantly pulling my hair out.

Sure, Hawaii is beautiful...  But if you like to get shit done on time, this is not the place, lol.  Still, it was one of the most exciting (and fulfilling) things I've ever done.  It's nice, at the end of the day, to be able to look at a house or project we finished and think "We built that!".

You took the words from my mouth about the pride in your project when it is completed.
Also, I have heard there are a few cultures that dont always recognize time like we do, native american, pacific islander to name a few.

Also Bruno, that looks great. Very rustic feel, but a beautiful finish. I know a group that does reclaimed wood desks, but they arent nearly as beautiful.
edit in* Your list of celebrity developed projects is awesome by the way,

So we have-

Drywall / Carpentry
Phinnaeus Gage

Estimating / Project Management

Phraust
WiseOldOwl

Plumbing
WiseOldOwl
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:33:15 PM

Are we going to build a house? I can do basic structured wiring.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:41:26 PM

Plan is not being divulged at this time.
Do you have qualifications or work experience?
Just trying to accurately determine the level of experience for each person in their field Smiley
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:45:50 PM

Plan is not being divulged at this time.
Do you have qualifications or work experience?
Just trying to accurately determine the level of experience for each person in their field Smiley
Aha, none that I care to share. Wink

No qualifications that I will list but I am capable of the following:

Medium and low voltage wiring; residential, commercial, and industrial.
Panel building and control wiring.
Network cabling (but not fibre) and interconnects, including punchdowns and telephone.
Basic network and server administration.
Troubleshooting <-- this is the big one.

Hope it helps.

dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:55:45 PM

I am an electrical engineer.

Until I was laid off, I designed the electrical systems of almost all the new products lines for a heavy equipment manufacturer. I also automated their manual creation process, that was mostly a programming project, not my favorite activity in the world.

I have been attending college to gain a network specialization degree.

I have been working with electronics and computers since I was around 13 (41 now). I mostly repaired c-64 and Vic-20 back then and did a little primitive electronic design (I still remember blowing a few fuses in the house.. Grin  ).

Started as little part-time business years ago, and have been growing it since the lay-off. I have had a hard time finding a direction since giving up on the home PC repair market, I think I may have found that direction in Bitcoin.

swissmate

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:09:18 PM

Computer engineer here Cheesy
I can make you a nice processor unit. 32 bits? 64 bits? Maybe 16? No problem
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 10:14:03 PM

So we are talking about hardware?
Please clarify the best you can.
swissmate

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:17:41 PM

Well it's also an engineering, maybe you want to host a big server in your new house?
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 10:25:02 PM

Well it's also an engineering, maybe you want to host a big server in your new house?

Maybe we would want such a thing on our project!
But still I am unclear exactly what you do, this is probably my fault. But if you wouldn't mind elaborating or sharing with us the scope of one of your projects, I could better understand what the trade you are in is and specifically what your function is.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:34:46 PM

I spent 8 years working for the Evil Empire (North American version) as a nuclear reactor operator / instrumentation technician.
5 years managing a factory maintenance department while also designing and building automated welding robots to replace manual processes.
Now I'm 2 years into an electrical engineering degree.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 10:59:25 PM

Are you just interested in "professionals" or are you  gauging the general level of skills of forum members?

I have no certification but I've done almost all my own electrical, plumbing, and A/C repairs for the last 15 years. My wife and I owned and operated a high volume dry cleaning plant from 1997 to 2007, during which time everything that could break down did at one time or another and if I didn't know how to fix it when it happened, I made darn sure I did by the time the repairman left. I also kept my accounts with the business-to-business and wholesale suppliers I've used (though I'd have a very hard time legally purchasing dry cleaning solvent now  Wink ).

The only area I haven't really dabbled in is carpentry.

Still around.
WiseOldOwl (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:06:17 PM

I spent 8 years working for the Evil Empire (North American version) as a nuclear reactor operator / instrumentation technician.
5 years managing a factory maintenance department while also designing and building automated welding robots to replace manual processes.
Now I'm 2 years into an electrical engineering degree.

Noted and Added - Cool by the way

Are you just interested in "professionals" or are you  gauging the general level of skills of forum members?

I have no certification but I've done almost all my own electrical, plumbing, and A/C repairs for the last 15 years. My wife and I owned and operated a high volume dry cleaning plant from 1997 to 2007, during which time everything that could break down did at one time or another and if I didn't know how to fix it when it happened, I made darn sure I did by the time the repairman left. I also kept my accounts with the business-to-business and wholesale suppliers I've used (though I'd have a very hard time legally purchasing dry cleaning solvent now  Wink ).

The only area I haven't really dabbled in is carpentry.

We will call this General Handyman, knowing enough about a general trade to perform most average tasks. Also I could only imagine the hoops you have to go through to get dry cleaning solvent now considering the usual reasons and additionally this http://www.bna.com/dry-cleaning-solvent-n12884907857/ .
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:10:08 PM

I am currently working in the lumberyard at a building supply store while I get my degree. I have also worked in a custom welding shop, in demolitions, and in farm/equine work. About to start a second job laying basketball courts around the state.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: