Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:13:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin value and the economy  (Read 1127 times)
GratefulCoin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:35:50 AM

If the global economy goes up or down... does the value of Bitcoin follow?  What does the current price of Bitcoin tell us about the near future of the global economy?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:42:41 AM

If the global economy goes up or down... does the value of Bitcoin follow?  What does the current price of Bitcoin tell us about the near future of the global economy?
It would likely be unaffected. The price of bitcoin is likely more of a trailing indicator of the global economy then a leading indicator, and only when it has extreme price moves upward (when the price of bitcoin spikes up, it likely means the major world economies have just gone though some kind of major crisis).

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
karlb187

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Need To Contact Me? Go To My Site!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 01:57:33 AM

It would likely be unaffected. The price of bitcoin is likely more of a trailing indicator of the global economy then a leading indicator, and only when it has extreme price moves upward (when the price of bitcoin spikes up, it likely means the major world economies have just gone though some kind of major crisis).

agreed. well said.  Wink

Bitcoin Faucet List Maker      Makes Your Bitcoin Commissions Explode!   (100% FREE)
   Paid to Post Bitcoin Forum      Earn Up To 3,000 Satoshi Per Post!  
 ▥ SKYPE: karl.moneyinpjs ▥ ▦ TWITTER: @karlmoneyinpjs
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 08:35:48 AM

Currently adoption rate is too low to make an assumption or correlation. For example gold and usd price move inversely. I expect btc to follow the same like gold against usd trend. If people feel insecure about dollar they will hedge their position in bitcoin. However we haven't that stage of adoption just yet to tell the trending.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:07:53 PM

At the current adoption level , I deeply doubt the price of bitcoin has any high correlation with world economy. Don't you remember the peak price of over $1000? What drived the price at such high level crazily? It is speculation.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:18:25 PM

Absolutely nothing.

Bitcoin and the current world economy have no connections.

At this point the price of Bitcoin is mainly controlled by whales, early adopters, speculators, and other people who are looking for a quick buck.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 02:16:18 PM

What does the current price of Bitcoin tell us about the near future of the global economy?

Tells about the same thing as the current price of BTCeanie BTCabies: Nothing.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 03:11:43 PM

If there are bank runs, people will put some money into BTC, just as they did after Cyprus.
With ever more negative interest rates being introduced, and extra capital flight rules, bitcoin could become massive if and when the economy tanks.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 10:54:54 PM

True. So long as a few more people become aware of Bitcoin every day and realise its potential as a store of value.

I initially wanted to put only what I could spare from my monthly pay into BTC but recently it has become a little more obsessive and I find myself buying up slightly more than I wanted to.

I can always sell it though, so long as we aren't due an almighty crash. I don't believe that will happen. A drop to $300 will make more people buy and bring the price back up.

I'm not an economist in the slightest but I can see that it's a great store of value and the long, boring sideways movement we've had a few months is probably down to those with large quantities of BTC manipulating the market.

I'm also sure that the US dollar is doomed within the next couple of years and that can only raise Bitcoin's position in the game.
betterangels

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 11:36:14 PM

I have compiled a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Jjhd_nnfRJ9EyYuOM1ACPMwRod3hhPqRk4YQp7FIZE/pubhtml# with the data taken from blockchain.info and research.stlouisfed.org.

I update the data and the charts weekly or bi-weekly (data of Money Base is released bi-weekly)
I will post here pictures of the charts and update them.
Suggestions for beautification or improve anything welcome.

The last chart is about the ratio between real inflation in BTC and the default inflation in BTC

Martijnvdc

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:08:51 AM

I have compiled a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Jjhd_nnfRJ9EyYuOM1ACPMwRod3hhPqRk4YQp7FIZE/pubhtml# with the data taken from blockchain.info and research.stlouisfed.org.

I update the data and the charts weekly or bi-weekly (data of Money Base is released bi-weekly)
I will post here pictures of the charts and update them.
Suggestions for beautification or improve anything welcome.
This is brilliant! This is exactly what i was looking for!
I'm currently making a piece of software that grabs data from different sources in realtime. I have a neural network which i have been training with many different input parameters, and i'm looking for more sources.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: