Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:20:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LITECOIN -- GPU Mining  (Read 22107 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:37:28 AM

Prior to the recent insane jump in value of LTC on the market and the following incredible ramp up in difficulty, it has occurred to me that perhaps we need to think again about the idea of making Litecoin GPU resistant.

At the moment the incredible jump in value of LTC is in a purely speculative capacity, and the resulting number of miners with GPU's getting involved, threatens to destroy long-term "ownership" in the Coin as it will be come far more difficult to mine much faster then the user base expands.

At the moment, to be honest, LTC is in its infancy- there is virtually no infrastructure developed yet to enable true commerce using LTC, yet it's value is attracting so much hash power that it's fast becoming worthless to CPU mine- regardless of the fact that GPU mining on BTC is an order of magnitude greater, it can still be enough to make mining with a CPU impossible.

The reason why modifying the script to be GPU resistant would be important is that it is much easier to acquire substantial GPU hash power then it is to acquire CPU power (with the exception of bot-nets). Your average, even top end computer, will generally have max. 1 cpu chip (with multiple cores). While the same average computer can house many GPU cards. The barrier to multiplying ones CPU power vis-a-vis requiring a complete system to run a CPU is much higher then multiplying ones GPU power. With GPU'S  enterprising individuals can concentrate hashing power significantly and quite quickly.

It is my opinion that for LTC to serve as a functional alternative to BTC (and have a future as a functional currency in any capacity) it is important that vast numbers of individuals are able to contribute and participate meaningfully in the process of mining. While of course the answer that most people will first arrive at is 'the increase in power helps to secure the network against attacks' I believe there is a real danger that while securing the network against attacks we may be simultaneously walling LTC off from widespread adoption, and thus it's long term potential and usefulness as a currency.

Perhaps you are right. But it's not like we can have an "off" switch that disallows miners from coming into the market to mine litecoins. The driving factor is probably price and that once again you can't limit the rate or amount that which people want to buy/sell LTC.

There is no solution that is pragmatic (programmable) to put into the litecoin source code.

That's just the way it is...

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Miner99er

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 08:01:15 AM

I don't see an issue with GPU mining period.

MOST computers have a PCI's slot, and you can easily run a 5850 on a 340 OEM PSU (Think HP DC7100.)

Also, miners are DUMPING GPUs already looking to cash in on ASICs, so buy up.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 08:02:43 AM

I kinda look at Litecoin as sloppy seconds if these ASIC do hit the market.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 08:52:18 AM

I don't see an issue with GPU mining period.

MOST computers have a PCI's slot, and you can easily run a 5850 on a 340 OEM PSU (Think HP DC7100.)

Also, miners are DUMPING GPUs already looking to cash in on ASICs, so buy up.

I think it's a question of short term profitability versus long term longevity. It's a reasonable question to discuss for the pros/cons.

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: