Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:17:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ***WARNING TO PEOPLE WHO USE MONEYPAK/WALMART MONEY CARD***  (Read 27876 times)
TizzyTazzy (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:22:20 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 06:34:34 AM by TizzyTazzy

This is continued from this thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88968.0
This is my service thread, My BTC for your MoneyPak - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84924.0

I just got off the phone from a rep and they concluded that even though I have done dozens upon dozens of transfers without complaints, that because of ONE SINGLE person disputing a $100 reload that apparently I'm the fraudster and need to provide every single receipt for all MoneyPak reload transactions in the past month and if I cannot, the remaining balance will remain locked without any appeal.

What?!!?!?

They basically just said "yeah your money is ours now sucker".

What kind of bullshit is this? I'm so raged right now.  Angry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 03:25:46 AM

Time to lawyer up or contact a consumer rights service.

fatigue

Activity: 196

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:28:03 AM

Agreed. If you brought it to a court they would probably just decide to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's not like its one of their larger accounts that they should worry about.
TizzyTazzy (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:32:34 AM

Agreed. If you brought it to a court they would probably just decide to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's not like its one of their larger accounts that they should worry about.

How would I go about doing this? Would I actually need a lawyer? I have around $1000 stuck on the card so wouldn't it be pointless with the money I'd have to spend?

I've never been in a situation where I needed to take anyone to court and I always figured it would never be worth it.. But man I really want to do it for the principal of that matter too.. This is just bullshit.

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:12:33 AM

Create the receipts and back-date them. Then you can provide them as requested. It will be much cheaper than a lawyer. $1k is too much to let go.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
TizzyTazzy (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:41:30 AM

Create the receipts and back-date them. Then you can provide them as requested. It will be much cheaper than a lawyer. $1k is too much to let go.

I'm not sure what your saying here? They want EVERY receipt and even if I was able to get a hold of every single person I've traded with, I highly doubt any of them decided to keep the receipt, and I would need ALL of them to have the receipt.

fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:44:37 AM

I'm not sure what your saying here? They want EVERY receipt and even if I was able to get a hold of every single person I've traded with, I highly doubt any of them decided to keep the receipt, and I would need ALL of them to have the receipt.

He's saying forge them.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:46:20 AM

My jaw dropped when I read the op and omg came out.

Definitely make a lawsuit, even though if you lose out by paying for a lawyer, like you said it would be worth for the principle.

I think small claims court will do. Get the yellow book out if you can afford it and even check for pro bono lawyers, they are rare and hard to find but you just might luck into one.
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:48:51 AM

If you win the court case you might be able to recover lawyer fees.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:02:34 AM

He's saying forge them.

Its not forgery, they were actual transactions. You're providing records of them after-the-fact. Use some invoice forms, create invoices for each transaction over the past 30 days with the corresponding dates. Stores keep their own merchant copies of receipts, they don't ask customers for their copies when its tax time. They only want your copies of the receipts/invoices.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:05:14 AM

He's saying forge them.

Its not forgery, they were actual transactions. You're providing records of them after-the-fact. Use some invoice forms, create invoices for each transaction over the past 30 days with the corresponding dates. Stores keep their own merchant copies of receipts, they don't ask customers for their copies when its tax time. They only want your copies of the receipts/invoices.

Sorry, I thought you were insinuating that he forge receipts as proof.
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:28:59 AM

Let them know you will take them to small claims court. Check to see if your area provides small claims actions via telephone, if they do, this basically negates them trying to pull it into another venue you would have a hard time getting to.

With your record of good transactions I'm thinking you'll either get a full favor verdict or just lose out on the $100.

*Gather together whatever you can in terms of records of your Moneypak transactions. Get some emails from people and tie them to specific Moneypaks, etc.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:49:49 PM

Now I guess people realize why we require sellers to write "Tangible Cryptography LLC" on their MoneyPak receipts and email a scan/photo to us before we complete the sale.  No it wasn't us being parnaoid.  We lost some potential sales by requiring this but it isn't a requirement we intend to drop.

There pretty much is only one dispute possible when it comes to MoneyPaks and that is to claim "I never used this code and when I tried it said the funds had been used".  MP code is only 14 numeric digits so it is possible to brute force.  Generally funds only remain on the "pak" for a short time so the window is small and the risk of a true brute force is small but it can be claimed by a scammer.

Kinda hard to say you never used "your" MoneyPak when it has our company name on the receipt and was redeemed by us. Smiley

To the OP:
Most likely you won't lose all the funds.  They will just be frozen for some extended time (my guess is 30 to 90 days) and then disbursed to you by company check (similar to a PayPal freeze).  They do this so that if you brute forced all those codes it gives time for the "legit" owners to come forward.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:50:48 PM

Definitely make a lawsuit, even though if you lose out by paying for a lawyer, like you said it would be worth for the principle.

I think small claims court will do. Get the yellow book out if you can afford it and even check for pro bono lawyers, they are rare and hard to find but you just might luck into one.

If he files in small claim court no lawyer is needed or possible.
pekv2

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:59:14 PM

If he files in small claim court no lawyer is needed or possible.

Then circuit or supreme?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:44:24 PM

Well given the amount is likely below the limit for small claims court that is the best option as he doesn't have to pay the cost of legal fees.  Small claims court also tends to be more informal, present the fact and judge rules.  That being said the funds likely will be released long before his case gets put on the docket.  It can take 6+ months to get a day in court.
pekv2

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:59:12 PM

Well, that's cool. This is more knowledge for TizzyTazzy to take in.

Nice that you're posting your knowledge in here.
TizzyTazzy (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 08:08:45 PM

Now I guess people realize why we require sellers to write "Tangible Cryptography LLC" on their MoneyPak receipts and email a scan/photo to us before we complete the sale.  No it wasn't us being parnaoid.  We lost some potential sales by requiring this but it isn't a requirement we intend to drop.

There pretty much is only one dispute possible when it comes to MoneyPaks and that is to claim "I never used this code and when I tried it said the funds had been used".  MP code is only 14 numeric digits so it is possible to brute force.  Generally funds only remain on the "pak" for a short time so the window is small and the risk of a true brute force is small but it can be claimed by a scammer.

Kinda hard to say you never used "your" MoneyPak when it has our company name on the receipt and was redeemed by us. Smiley

To the OP:
Most likely you won't lose all the funds.  They will just be frozen for some extended time (my guess is 30 to 90 days) and then disbursed to you by company check (similar to a PayPal freeze).  They do this so that if you brute forced all those codes it gives time for the "legit" owners to come forward.

They specifically said if I don't provide proof of all MoneyPak reloads, that I'm out of luck. Sad

Gladamas

Activity: 294

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:24:29 PM

To the OP:

They specifically said if I don't provide proof of all MoneyPak reloads, that I'm out of luck. Sad

That's why you sue them.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:26:39 PM

To the OP:

^this guy.

That's why you sue them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: