Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:37:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is reddit so popular?  (Read 2038 times)
Cleave (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 01:15:25 AM

I dont get it the interface is horrid and the amount of crap on each sub forum compared to other alternatives is just stupid why has it taken off like it has?
junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 01:33:22 AM

There's miions of people from around the world. Everyone is defferent and anonumous to eachother. When you will customize your account and add some subs you will enjoy it
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 02:06:01 AM

The quality of comments on the site has decreased into a clusterfuck of mostly retarded comments and puns over the past couple years but don't really see why the interface is bad?

Easy way to aggregate sites/information and split it up into different subforums.
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 04:05:54 AM

Combo of network effects and fidelity to mission

guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 05:59:37 AM

Another thing Reddit offers are communities for everything - gaming, coding, online deals, encryption, bitcoin, music, etc.

If you have an interest and want to learn more about it, there's a good chance there's a Reddit community for that interest.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:40:17 AM

Hey, I didn't either. I only started using it this summer and since then it has become a daily routine to check what is up.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
oprahwindfury

Activity: 578
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:41:03 AM

I personally really like the interface. Simple to use and customize. Lots of subreddits for any topic you can think of really.

I've received help on my physics homework on /r/askscience, learned how to buff out scratches on my car from /r/autodetailing, learned about bitcoin from /r/bitcoinmarkets, gotten some sound advice on a business model on /r/entrepreneur, got help on building credit on /r/personalfinance just to name a few.

I guess you don't like it much because you haven't really done anything productive with it. But once you have it's great.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:48:23 AM

That's the other thing about reddit, it has sections for nearly any type of hobby or thing you might be interested in. Like seriously anything.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:17:12 PM

the interface is horrid

How so? Simple != ugly. The design of individual subreddits can also be customized.

and the amount of crap on each sub forum compared to other alternatives is just stupid
Can you provide examples of said "crap"? Subreddits are not moderated by users, not site staff. What do you consider a better alternative to Reddit?

why has it taken off like it has?

It meets the needs of its users.
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 12:29:46 AM

The quality of comments on the site has decreased into a clusterfuck of mostly retarded comments and puns over the past couple years but don't really see why the interface is bad?

Easy way to aggregate sites/information and split it up into different subforums.

You're right. It's plagued by spam and it's hard to follow new posts, at least I have this problem and prefer normal forums like this one.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 05:37:58 AM

Reddit's interface is really easy once you get the hang of it and it's really a nice place to read and get knowledge on almost everything. Not to mention you'll meat very nice people who'd help you with any query within seconds. Just choose the subreddit that interests you and you'll find yourself visiting it everyday.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Gio344

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 05:55:12 AM

The interface isn't flashy at all but it makes it easy to go through the site and is very convenient,  the quality of posts... well depend on people and for being popular more people go there, if it was to close these "other places you speak of" will most likely degrade if they become popular.
FallenGods

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 01:04:48 PM

I think,Reddit is so popular because it offers virtually endless stimulation, AKA time-wasting entertainment. With so many users and the "karma points" system, users have an incentive to constantly submit interesting links, thus the front page is constantly filled with novel material, which people can scroll through to fulfill their desire for intellectual stimulation.
PandaMac

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:21:02 PM

Since it's an endless hub for entertainment.  People who claim that it's just full of shit posts are kind of dumb and are generalizing millions of users.  Some subs are kind of dumb and full of 12 year olds like /r/funny & /r/adviceAnimals and indeed most of the default subs but there are a lot of quality subs.  The only real alternative to Reddit is 4chan, but 4chan is far less organized and "civil".
Poolie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:24:01 PM

Why is reddit so popular? That's a question I've often asked myself, though I guess people may even ask why this forum is so popular - just depends on your preferences.
infringement

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 05:37:49 PM

IMO the main reason it's so popular is because of the easiness of use and lack of complexity like other competitors, There interface is direct (although lacking good looks) but nevertheless efficient.
neurotypical

Merit: 502

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Luck (going viral) and a simple layout, just like twitter.
I dont know if it will ever go out of fashion, these 2 websites seem solid.
Who knows tho, maybe when kids get fed up they go anywhere else.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 06:34:03 PM

I dont get it the interface is horrid and the amount of crap on each sub forum compared to other alternatives is just stupid why has it taken off like it has?

Network effect maybe? but you must admit the up-vote system is pretty sweet, keeps the better posts at the top.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 06:41:40 PM

Since it's an endless hub for entertainment.  People who claim that it's just full of shit posts are kind of dumb and are generalizing millions of users.  Some subs are kind of dumb and full of 12 year olds like /r/funny & /r/adviceAnimals and indeed most of the default subs but there are a lot of quality subs.  The only real alternative to Reddit is 4chan, but 4chan is far less organized and "civil".

Lol what makes you think so? Just because it's been in the news doesn't mean there's any discussion of value going on there.
sanos51ck

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 12:09:49 AM

Why is facebook so popular?

Why is twitter so popular?

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 12:28:32 AM

Why is facebook so popular?

Why is twitter so popular?

Why is Kim Kardashian so popular?
klm bitcoin

Activity: 139

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 03:41:33 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2016, 12:24:54 PM by klm bitcoin

it's just very simple, created just for the soul purpose of proposing ideas topics and organizing their discussions.

Bitcoin as a form of payment for products and services has grown,[29] and merchants have an incentive to accept it because fees are lower than the 2–3% typically imposed by credit card processors.[31] Unlike credit cards, any fees are paid by the purchaser, not the vendor. The European Banking Authority[32] and other sources[19]:11 have warned that bitcoin users are not protected by refund rights or chargebacks. Despite a large increase in the number of merchants accepting bitcoin, the cryptocurrency does not have much momentum in retail transactions.
btcjoin14

Activity: 891

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 03:47:29 AM

I found out about reddit a couple months back. really love it their discussions and notices
kingscrown

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 03:47:56 AM

reddit rocks!

Dabangg

Activity: 217

BitCoinTalk@dab.33mail.com is the ONLY way to buy!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 08:13:19 PM

You can learn a lot on Reddit. You might not have found an interesting sub-reddit yet. I used to think the site and it's members were annoying.

I am still selling, please email me here: BitCoinTalk@dab.33mail.com
🌟 UPDATE: I can currently be reached ONLY by email. I am not able to reply to forum posts or private messages anymore. Thank you. 🌟🌟🌟🌟 EMAIL ME. Topic is now locked. Email me.
waszurHölle

Activity: 149

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:13:21 PM

well it's nice use on a smartphone imo compared to other sides
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 09:21:43 PM

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.reddit.com/r/swoleacceptance/
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:58:39 PM

the interface is good, it allows for massive discussion. the site is also crowd-sourced, so you get a sense of involvement and belonging.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:16:56 PM

It's popular because being active on specific subreddits give the impression of belonging to a community, partly because of how the votes you make and the posts you make contribute directly to the liveliness of the subreddit.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:35:21 AM

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.reddit.com/r/swoleacceptance/

I don't get your post.

The subreddit you linked is clearly satirical. It exists for entertainment purposes. Clearly you did not think that the posts that were made in that subreddit were serious?

It is obviously making fun of /r/fitness or other fitness-related subreddits. In fact the sticky even says so.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 07:17:47 AM

I think reddit has to be the worst of the 'popular' sites. The layout is very poor and its full of garbage, spam and links from fiverr seo gigs.

If I'm searching for anything and a reddit link comes up and don't bother clicking it.

Saying that, I despise all of the 'social' network sites including facebook and twitter.

Perhaps I'm just a miserable old fucker that thinks the world was a better place before the internet Cheesy.
cryptoforcause

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 01:33:10 PM

Speaking for myself, I love the occasional meme or 10000+ comment Askreddit megathread.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 01:46:15 PM

I'm not at all a fan of the layout or GUI there, either. You have to click a thread title two or three times to get to the content you actually wanted, or there's some type of sorcery involved there to do it right and I just don't have the knack. Community voting seems to leave content on par with Youtube comments. ... Idunno, I guess I've just never really given it a fair shake.

Stack Overflow has a similar feeling of ugliness and lack of intuitiveness, but the content's been a life-saver too often to ignore.
elliwilli

Activity: 307

et rich or die tryi

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 09:43:45 PM

Because its a social news agrigator.
I like it because i can tailor the news to what i want to see and leave out the crap i dont care about.

rikfredsy

Activity: 256

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 10:47:52 PM

With simple (Ugly) design reddit is very nice and popular site . did they give free btc at the beginning  Roll Eyes?

Ninjahitoko

Activity: 186

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 11:08:55 PM

It is so popular, because of the social interface it offers. The social interface is really good.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:08:55 PM

I think here in Europe it isn't as popular as in the U.S.A.
Anyway, I didn't like it very much and I'm quite agree with OP.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
paradoxum

Activity: 138

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:11:46 PM

I would rather read a wall of text then try to figure out the if there's any intelligent conversation on their site - such a horrible layout.
Bryansamba

Activity: 135

ActionCrypto.com ★ Bitcoin Binary Options

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:22:16 PM

never open reddit

my internet provider blocked it

ActionCrypto   ▎ Bitcoin Binary Option Trading Platfom
    █        ▃ ▁                               ▼   Make profit or hedge risk in both bullish or bearish markets  ▼     
       ▀               ▊                      
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:08:04 AM

Its just shit full stop just wish I'd invented it...
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:33:11 AM

I agree, the interface is (to me in my opinion) very ugly and unmodernized.

There are communities for everything anyone can be interested in all over the web, not just reddit. I mean look at this forum. The largest forum I ever been on, with almost what, a billion post?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: