Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:52:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Perfect Offline Wallets Can Still Leak Bitcoin Private Keys  (Read 6228 times)
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 02:18:17 PM

If someone would like to review my code, I'd be glad - https://github.com/hhanh00/offlinesig - but it's not easy to get someone to do it.
I didn't rewrite a crypto library. I used bouncycastle and provided a generator for k following the RFCxxxx. The only values exchanged are (r, s) and I don't see any other sidechannel since it works offline.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:17:19 PM

If someone would like to review my code, I'd be glad - https://github.com/hhanh00/offlinesig - but it's not easy to get someone to do it.
I didn't rewrite a crypto library. I used bouncycastle and provided a generator for k following the RFCxxxx. The only values exchanged are (r, s) and I don't see any other sidechannel since it works offline.

I think he meant code revision in general, not just for this single potential bug. You can't just review a Bitcoin wallet by reading it once or twice, it's way too complicated. So better stick with known code that has some user base actually testing it.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 07:25:20 PM

I tried to give it a quick glance at least, but I'm unfamiliar with the language... and when I couldn't even tell how the private key was being passed to the nonce generation function I gave up. Smiley

Though it is the case that whatever glance I would have given it wouldn't really be enough to de-risk it compared to widely reviewed code... I figured a glance would be the least I could do. Well, seems not, a failed glance was the least I could do.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 01:57:23 AM

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

ECDSASigner is a bouncycastle class that accepts an optional provider for the nonce https://github.com/bcgit/bc-java/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/bouncycastle/crypto/signers/DSAKCalculator.java.

The implementation of ECDSASigner will pass the secret to the k calculator.
It's done in
Code:
    val kGen = new RFC6979KCalculator
    val signer = new ECDSASigner(kGen)

val params = new ECPrivateKeyParameters(secret.bigInteger, Bitcoin.ecDomain)

Then it comes to DSAKCalculator through
Code:
  override def init(q: BigInteger, x: BigInteger, m: Array[Byte]): Unit
which is Scala for
Code:
    /**
     * Deterministic initialiser.
     * @param n the order of the DSA group.
     * @param d the DSA private value.
     * @param message the message being signed.
     */
    void init(BigInteger n, BigInteger d, byte[] message);

The rest is RFC6979.

I think he meant code revision in general, not just for this single potential bug. You can't just review a Bitcoin wallet by reading it once or twice, it's way too complicated. So better stick with known code that has some user base actually testing it.
I wrote this wallet because there is no implementation that fits my need and that I feel confident enough with. Basically for the same reasons that you mention. The most popular wallets don't have the features I want and the others are not reviewed enough to qualify either. I tried to reduce risk as much as I could by using standard libraries where possible. It leaves BIP32, RFC6979 and tx serialization to write. It's hard but I wouldn't call this impossible to do. I welcome as much review as possible. Maybe you could take a look?

Thanks,
--h

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: