3.5GH Jalapeno
40GH Single
1TH Rig
Screw you BFL!
I'm sticking with FPGA/GPU
I just wanna see the results

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What ASIC did you order?  (Read 3443 times)
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:15:54 PM

Looks like 10TH coming online as a lowball guess.  Cheesy

around 40 TH for trade-in's by my estimation.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89258.msg984426#msg984426

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:20:37 PM

Personally I am expecting around 300TH by year's end.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:29:59 PM

I was just keeping a loose tally from the poll. Smiley  Up to 14TH, yea make my bitcoin stronger.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:32:48 PM

I was just keeping a loose tally from the poll. Smiley  Up to 14TH, yea make my bitcoin stronger.

minus inefficient by then hardware
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 05:40:56 PM

Next summer I will turn on my GPU miner just for the nostalgic feelings...
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:46:11 PM

minus inefficient by then hardware

My tally thus far puts network hash rate at about ~46TH a few weeks after launch(not accounting for new mini-rigs as I believe those wont be available so soon). The minus on inefficient hardware can at most be ~11.5TH only if every single current unit is actually inefficient. So, still ~35TH at the least.

You can estimate the difficulty from this in one of 2 ways. Either calculate the multiplier above current hash rate and use the same on the diff.  Or, use TP's bitcoin calc or similar, punch in estimated total hashrate as if it were your own. Raise and adjust the difficulty number until you get ~7200 BTC per day. This will give you what the difficulty would be if the estimated network hash is correct. It's as close as anyone is gonna get. The rest comes down to just how good you are at 'guessing' what exactly will come online at release.

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:46:42 PM

the nostalgic feeling fo sweaty balls? ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 05:47:19 PM

I'm going to miss GPU mining. Even though I'm embracing ASIC, I think it's going to be dull compared to GPU. I'll miss the building of open air rigs, maxing out the # of GPUs on mobos with extenders, the assurance you can sell your equipment to gamers, etc. But hopefully ASIC mining will less of a PITA at least.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 06:02:39 PM

I'm going to miss GPU mining. Even though I'm embracing ASIC, I think it's going to be dull compared to GPU. I'll miss the building of open air rigs, maxing out the # of GPUs on mobos with extenders, the assurance you can sell your equipment to gamers, etc. But hopefully ASIC mining will less of a PITA at least.

The overclocking, the undervolting, the different kernels, finding that "sweet spot" for every card and it's quirks.... I think i'm gonna miss it too...

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 06:14:38 PM

The overclocking, the undervolting, the different kernels, finding that "sweet spot" for every card and it's quirks.... I think i'm gonna miss it too...

Yep, BFL is basically selling mining appliances rather than rigs you can fiddle with and make your own. We might be able to OC a bit, but this will be at the mercy of BFL firmware updates. Like I said, pretty dull compared to GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if a fork of BTC catches on for GPU/FPGA, even if it is just for fun (I guess forks already exist for that). Actually, what would be interesting would be a fork based on a better security standard than sha256. Even if it isn't profitable initially, it could pan out later if sha256 is compromised. If that came along, I would seriously consider pointing my GPUs at it rather than selling them. 
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 06:50:04 PM

If there's going to be a financial bloodbath, it will be much worse for those investing in new GPUs or FPGAs. We know that ASIC is the future of mining. Whatever the ROI turns out to be for early adopters of ASICs, odds are it will be much better than it is for later adopters. So far, the history of mining has favored early adopters, and I don't see any reason to think this is going to change. But it is risky for sure. Personally, I think the biggest risk for those investing in ASICs is if sha 256 is compromised. GPU and FPGA miners could adapt, but ASIC miners would need new hardware, their old hardware becoming useless. I don't know how likely this is or how soon it could happen, but it is a possibility.
Yeah, ASIC isn't the future of mining, it's the mid-term of mining. Any given ASIC is dominant for the period in which it has the best algorithm, and FPGAs/GPUs are dominant for the period in which no ASIC has the best algorithm.

Of course, the dominance is great enough for ASICs to be a no-brainer as long as there are no innovations in solving SHA256. Which just leaves (as I've mentioned before) the question of how long until I can buy an ASIC board from someone who isn't BFL.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 07:00:29 PM

If there's going to be a financial bloodbath, it will be much worse for those investing in new GPUs or FPGAs. We know that ASIC is the future of mining. Whatever the ROI turns out to be for early adopters of ASICs, odds are it will be much better than it is for later adopters. So far, the history of mining has favored early adopters, and I don't see any reason to think this is going to change. But it is risky for sure. Personally, I think the biggest risk for those investing in ASICs is if sha 256 is compromised. GPU and FPGA miners could adapt, but ASIC miners would need new hardware, their old hardware becoming useless. I don't know how likely this is or how soon it could happen, but it is a possibility.
Yeah, ASIC isn't the future of mining, it's the mid-term of mining. Any given ASIC is dominant for the period in which it has the best algorithm, and FPGAs/GPUs are dominant for the period in which no ASIC has the best algorithm.

Of course, the dominance is great enough for ASICs to be a no-brainer as long as there are no innovations in solving SHA256. Which just leaves (as I've mentioned before) the question of how long until I can buy an ASIC board from someone who isn't BFL.

Exactly - I'm going with BFL, though (not ideal, but I'm OK with it). Great handle BTW - wish I'd thought of that.
naz86

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:05:04 AM

Order Number 2047  Undecided

2046 people before me ?
Chefnet

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:09:41 AM

no ~400 befor you (1656 was the first order)

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:15:33 AM

Will use my gpus until no longer worth it then quit bitcoin pretty much. No use for it unless i can make money.
Or if i can buy asics without sending my money into a black hole for months on end.
Other old single customers still dont have their shit. Ridiculous.
Paladin69

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:47:31 AM

order #2033

mini-rig SC upgrade
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 12:42:18 PM

Looks like around 17TH on the low side, keep on buying guys. Wink

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:45:46 PM

Order # 2764 for me.
Will it arrive before the end of the world?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
fulepp

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

Risk-hedging platform for cryptocurrency investors

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 07:11:23 PM

Mini Ring upgrade to Mini Ring SC. Order number 2360.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: