Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:11:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximizing Bitcoin Liquidity Through the Make-or-Take Model  (Read 1115 times)
is4tomj (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 06:03:08 AM

Hi, below is a link to a blog post on maximizing bitcoin liquidity on bitcoin exchanges through the make-or-take model.

http://blog.bitcointitan.com/post/25759461251/maximizing-liquidity-through-the-make-or-take-model
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 12:00:25 PM

The make-or-take model doesn't improve liquidity, it just gives the illusion of it.

See for example this comment where I try to explain the equivalence.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
is4tomj (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:19:27 PM

Whether the spread is the "right" spread as you call it doesn't have anything to do with what is the "fair" or "right" spread.  The "right" spread has to do with the efficient market hypothesis.  If you believe that markets are efficient then you believe that the right price is the last current market price. If you do not believe markets are perfectly efficient (which most people do not) then prices will not be the "right" prices, but will correct eventually as people take advantage of the arbitrage opportunity.

Intersango only offers a discount on commission to to market markers but that is still a penalty, market makers should be rewarded, and make money for each trade.

hellobitcoin says they employ the make-or-take model, but in red words below their claim to use the make-or-take model, they state that they actually charge market makers 0.15% which is not the make-or-take model.

Hi, below is a link to a blog post on maximizing bitcoin liquidity on bitcoin exchanges through the make-or-take model.

http://blog.bitcointitan.com/post/25759461251/maximizing-liquidity-through-the-make-or-take-model
Several exchanges offer a make-take price differential. Intersango,
bitfloor and hellobitcoin come to mind.

I feel that the differential they choose is somewhat
arbitrary.

I have always felt that the make-take commission differential should
be no greater than the exchange's least count divided by the price of
btcusd.  And, all exchanges violate this condition.

Why do I belive in this condition?  For if this condition is not
met, then as a trader, it sometimes is cheaper for you to bid at
6.51 than it is to bid at 6.50.

Equivalently, here's, I believe, the problem from the exchange's
perspective if you violate this condition. The make-take difference may help you achieve a tight
spread and thus, a good price-discovery, but both are illusory.  For,
imagine that the true bid-ask frontiers should lie at
6.51-6.52. Imagine that your exchange is currently locked in at
6.50-6.51. Your exchange has seemingly discovered a price with a tight
spread. Is this the correct price? Even if traders are convinced that
the correct frontier should be 6.51-6.52, there is a *negative*
incentive for a trader to try to correct that imbalance.

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:30:48 PM

Whether the spread is the "right" spread as you call it doesn't have anything to do with what is the "fair" or "right" spread.
deego talked about a tight spread.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
is4tomj (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:40:30 PM

No, he agrees that the make-or-take model provides a tight spread. deego's issue was whether the spread was the "true" spread, but I changed that to "right" spread.  Sorry if that was confusing.

Whether the spread is the "right" spread as you call it doesn't have anything to do with what is the "fair" or "right" spread.
deego talked about a tight spread.
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 03:16:23 PM

What happens if there are no fees on transactions? (Just on deposits / withdrawals or some other mechanism to keep the exchange operating)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: