Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:38:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin "limitations" (and high CPU usage for Mac client!)  (Read 2779 times)
pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:03:40 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2011, 05:29:15 PM by pf

I've been using Bitcoin for two weeks now, and I've ran across some serious limiations:

1) Someone sends me money. It takes me 10 minutes to see it in my client, and even longer for it to get confirmed, since it has to wait for the next block.
2) I cannot see who sent me money, in case I ask multiple persons to send me money to the same address.
3) It took me MANY HOURS to download all the blocks.
4) The Bitcoin Mac client takes 100% of my CPU (rather, one of my two cores) when doing nothing. I do NOT have generation turned on.

These are the limitations I can think of at the moment. As such, how can Bitcoin possibly compete with other online banking solutions that are

1) Instant.
2) You can see who sent you money.
3) You don't have to download hundreds of megabytes of data.
4) No app takes 100% of your CPU.

Given this: Why would any normal end-user move to Bitcoin? I know Bitcoin has many other advantages, but can we please stick to the issues I raised? Maybe my issues aren't issues, and merely current client limitations? What are your thoughts on these issues?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:06:47 PM

1) Someone sends me money. It takes me 10 minutes to see it in my client, and even longer for it to get confirmed, since it has to wait for the next block.

Transactions usually appear instantly.

2) I cannot see who sent me money, in case I ask multiple persons to send me money to the same address.

Don't do that. You're supposed to create an address per person.

This will be solved soon.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
anisoptera

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:11:15 PM

There isn't any way to see who sent you money because that is how bitcoin works. Creating a new address for each person and labeling it helps with this.

The rest of the things you listed are client issues. An unconfirmed tx is as good as done for small amounts, and large amounts get confirmed much faster anyway.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:17:41 PM

You should be creating new addresses per transaction and label the addresses.  I label them with the name of the sender and what it was for.

4) The Bitcoin Mac client takes 100% of my CPU (rather, one of my two cores) when doing nothing. I do NOT have generation turned on.

I run the bitcoin client on my 13" 2.0Ghz C2D Macbook and unless I'm doing something (e.g. generating new addresses) it uses ~1%.  Something isn't right on your end.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:24:13 PM

hi, welcome to the forum.
where do you check the 100 % cpu consumption on mac, please?
i got mine a few weeks ago and still don't know many basic things

1) as for the sending money, your client should infom you instantly as 0/unconfirmed that a transaction crediting your address entered the network. what we wait for is the block being mined that would save the sending confirmation permanently in the block chain (our shared transaction history)

2) you can see from which address the payment comes. what you don't know is who controls that address.
it's a good practice to use new address for each expected income. unless you publish a tipping jar for donations
where you don't care.

3) well, this software is still beta. you have no choice yet if to download the whole transaction history or only the lightweight (headers only) blockchain. this needs more time

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
pf (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:26:44 PM

where do you check the 100 % cpu consumption on mac, please?
i got mine a few weeks ago and still don't know many basic things
Thanks for the reply. I check my CPU usage in Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor. Does your client also have such high CPU usage?
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:26:55 PM

Once you have the block chain you don't have to redownload it. It's a one time thing. Every time you'll open your client it'll only download the newest blocks that you are missing.

1) Instant.

You're not considering the cost you incur for that instant payment. Also you can use an escrow/3rd party for instant payments.

pf (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:28:11 PM

I run the bitcoin client on my 13" 2.0Ghz C2D Macbook and unless I'm doing something (e.g. generating new addresses) it uses ~1%.  Something isn't right on your end.
Yeah, something definitely isn't right. I have an Intel Core Duo (first-gen Intel iMac). And I have downloaded all blocks. Still, I can hear the client constantly accessing my hard drive (I have no idea what for), and the CPU is hovering around 100%. Very strange!
MsEve

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:29:24 PM

I agree pf… I'm working on an iMac 27" dual core also and it's rather shocking how much CPU the Mac Bitcoin client uses. The constant clicks from my hard drive caused me to turn it off today.

I usually only get random clicks when I'm doing something intensive in Photoshop, opening a program or saving a large file but with Bitcoin it's rather continuous. Hope the kinks get worked out soon.
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:46:07 PM

... check CPU usage in Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.
Does your client also have such high CPU usage?

not at all. it shows values between .8 - 1 %
while closing bitcoin.app, it jumped to 5 %
i will give it a try tomorrow, while validating a bunch of freshly downloaded blocks, if that's the 100 % cpu task but you say that your client already has all the blocks so this most probably not the case.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
chickenado

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 02:02:46 PM

Given this: Why would any normal end-user move to Bitcoin? I know Bitcoin has many other advantages, but can we please stick to the issues I raised? Maybe my issues aren't issues, and merely current client limitations? What are your thoughts on these issues?

Perhaps a normal end-user won't use the original Bitcoin client, but rather a lightweight client or a web interface such as mybitcoin.com.

Remember that Bitcoin is not just a software but also a protocol. Other, more user friendly clients that adhere to the Bitcoin protocol are likely to be developed in future.

A web interface solves all the problems you're talking about but is less secure. I guess for small amounts that doesn't matter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: