Author Topic: .  (Read 2022 times)
Casper Hornstrup (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:55:29 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 03:43:25 PM by Casper Hornstrup

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 08:22:58 PM

don't forget to check the core development thread and read the paper that started it all
so that you know what you're trying to standardize Wink

& standardize paper bitcoins / scratch cards

small QR code visible without the need to scratch the hidden area - this should be the address that is to be checked with a kind of block explorer to see if the address is funded
big QR code with the key, to sign for transactions of the visible address.

the use of scratch card technology is optional, as long as the private key is not exposed without damaging the bitcoin representant. so don't focus on that, just make it tamper proof.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 08:31:29 PM

Bitcoin users and Bitcoin Enterprises in particular are invited to become members of Bitcoin Standards Organization and participate in developing understandable, effective and open standards and open source reference implementations. Important decisions are made through consensus among active members.

We're invited to join?  That's amusing Smiley

lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 08:33:35 PM

I have low standards, so I don't know if I should join  Huh

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:41:03 AM

I'm ambivalent ... standards can become a strait-jacket for innovation. ... or they can work great. Blind adherence to "the standard" can lead to some pretty draconian outcomes ... maybe put the common sense standard trumps all others at the top of the page.

Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:10:49 AM

This was intended for open standards for bitcoin enterprise applications such as trading APIs and others - not the Bitcoin client protocol. I think from some of the comments, that this was misunderstood.

the QR code wont scan itself. the scanner app should have the capacity to recognize if there's a bitcoin address on a given code, request online the available balance and if needed also to redeem such amount by scanning the other code with the key, composing the transaction using that key and follow up feedback (verified by a miner, confirmation history).

the protocol IS the standard. and your first post was not clear in this point. if you'd like to harmonize data formats about bitcoin, feel free to do so. have a look at bitcoincharts site how they're aggregating 'different' data streams. and don't forget to invite json developers too Wink

i'm sure standards will revolutionize the way users adopt bitcoin.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 08:07:54 PM

I agree that a standards organization could be a good idea (better coordination to create the new wallet protocol spec, for example)...
But, you seem to be founding this as a newbie (only been involved in the Bitcoin community for a month?) with no prior consulting with existing community members who have already created the current de facto standards (JSON-RPC, the p2p protocol, etc) or have put effort into development of newer standards (like the wallet protocol). Furthermore, you have started this group having already made decisions for it by yourself ("Upcoming open standards" has five "standards" that have no documentation nor prior discussion as far as I know).

That being said, I'll "join" just in case this works out to be a beneficial effort.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 03:38:06 PM

When I talked to Gavin, he gave me the impression that people just go ahead and do things without permission from any leaders. If people want this, it may survive. If not, we just do other things instead and I've only wasted a little time trying out an idea. I'm okay with that.
I for one don't recognize a distributed project like Bitcoin as having any leaders per se, so I agree in that respect, but with respect to starting a standards organization, "just go ahead and do" it would to me mean talking to other people who are already involved in the area (which I was assuming before was technical) and getting a group of people to form it together.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: