Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:48:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt criticism  (Read 1354 times)
Draino (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:08:57 AM

Hey guys,

I've been on-again off-again with bitcoin since the original silk-road press induced bubble.  I've done a bit of mining with my bought-for-gaming graphics card.  There's an issue of bitcoin mag in my bathroom.  I've bought BTC using MtGox with dwolla, and bitinstant.  I've lost most of that to bitcoinica and satoshi-dice.  That's fine, I'm mostly over it.  But I think this makes me joe-average, the type of guy many of you are dreaming will come to bitcoin en-masse.

Even after losing all my coins, you know what turns me off the most?  Bitcoin-qt:

It tells me "this transaction is over the size limit" frequently, and often asks for unreasonably sized fees..  .049 to send .005?  I'll pass, thanks.  I guess I didn't want to use my BTC to spend on stuff anyway...

Ok, so I want to recieve some BTC.  What's my receiving address.. what the—why are there several dozen?  I don't care if you think it's "The Right Way" to create an ass-load of addresses for me to send my change to, and I especially don't care why.  If I feel like I need a new address, that should be up to me, thanks.

So now if I want to backup my private key, it becomes many private keys.  It's misleading to call it a wallet at that point, don't you think?  I suggest warehouse.dat.

If this is a taste of things to come, I'm pretty sure bitcoin will have the same flaws and turn-offs that linux on the desktop has:  ugly, counter-intuitive software (not a game breaker per se,) which has quirks that open the door for being preached at (worse than game breaking).

The interface developers could learn a great deal from blockchain.info's My Wallet.

tl;dr:
bitcoin-qt is annoying and it's methods are preachy/condescending, which irks me more than losing hundreds of dollars through bad bets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 10:42:17 AM

Can you provide a screenshot where you are asked for 0.049 BTC tx fee? It shouldn't ask for more than 0.0005. Make sure you set the tx fee option in the settings to 0.

Were your addresses created on bitcoin-qt or in Bitcoin <= 0.4? Earlier version had a somewhat confusing but well-known rules for generating new addresses automatically, I don't know what policy, if any, bitcoin-qt has.

You've basically contradicted your argument with the My Wallet comment - everyone can create a wallet GUI according to their vision, and everyone can use whatever software he thinks is best.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 10:59:59 AM

bitcoin-qt doesn't create new "visible" addresses automatically for me, I create and label them whenever I need one. Also, you can adjust your fee-per-kilobyte. Maybe your settings are too high, or maybe you have tons of 0.0001 BTC transactions in your wallet which need to be merged?

EDIT: Also, I think the concept of wallet describes a collection of private keys, that seems pretty intuitive to me. If it were only one, why call it a wallet and not a key?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 11:21:11 AM

tl;dr:
bitcoin-qt is

Have you tried Blockchain for Android?  No need to backup, yet Blockchain doesn't hold your private keys.  Works with blockchain-based wagering (e.g., SatoshiDICE).

Easy to use.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █