Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:40:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleanup: I'll attack some coins - I owned APEXcoin for 90 blocks  (Read 17218 times)
valarmg

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 11:13:12 AM

Perhaps you read something that I missed then. In his OP he states his reasoning is because of the "quantity" of coins, not the "quality." Personally I see no reason to attack coins, especially ones that meet his own agenda and not the consensus of the entire crypto community. History has shown that most all shit coins will die natural deaths anyway. Let the herd cull itself instead of having some wannabe savior of the crypto world launch attacks on whatever coins he chooses.  

The whole point of crypto-coins is that they are safe from doublespend. If someone shows that they aren't, then he is doing a service to the cryptocurrency industry.

Crypto is still in early days. We are building bridges, and it's better for someone to stress test the bridges before they are declared safe for the general population. If these bridges are unsafe, I want to know now (even if I lose some money).

You'll notice that many who are invested in PoS coins want attacks to be attempted. Better it happen out in the open now rather than in secret in the future.

Also, his attacks don't seem to be destroying coins, just showing they aren't safe. No reason coins couldn't shore up their defenses after the attack, and come back stronger.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 11:52:52 AM

The whole point of crypto-coins is that they are safe from doublespend. If someone shows that they aren't, then he is doing a service to the cryptocurrency industry.

Crypto is still in early days. We are building bridges, and it's better for someone to stress test the bridges before they are declared safe for the general population. If these bridges are unsafe, I want to know now (even if I lose some money).

You'll notice that many who are invested in PoS coins want attacks to be attempted. Better it happen out in the open now rather than in secret in the future.

Also, his attacks don't seem to be destroying coins, just showing they aren't safe. No reason coins couldn't shore up their defenses after the attack, and come back stronger.

I agree with what you are saying. However, from reading his posts it doesn't seem like he is actually trying to be helpful. It seems more like a "look what I can do" kind of thing. Did the Apexcoin community, whatever there is of it, ask him to attack them? He supposedly successfully attacked Apexcoin, and now the crypto world knows there is a vulnerability in POS. Is there really a need to continue any further attacks? Attack all the dead coins you want, but leave legitimate coins alone.

pro-investor

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:31:32 PM

I think it would be usefull if he works with developers to show the weakness in coins and try to find a solution for that.

To play "god" and decide to kill a coin has no use at all, unless you know that some developer is a known scammer and want to stop him from scamming people.
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:49:51 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 03:56:28 PM by patmast3r

lots of people complain about the quantity of coins and how the forum is flooded... some proposed ideas to clean it up....
I'll show you how it's done - I'll start attacking weak coins accelerating their death

just wait and see the results, I'll soon show the first victim. Let's start with PoS coins: some people think you need 51% of the supply but this is bs, you need only a very little % if you just want to do a single double spend.

the point of this thread is to see how people react to this: I won't steal from anyone, but some may lose "money".

Some questions:

1. is this a good idea?
2. would you donate so I can attack more POS coins? (maybe spare some coins you are bagholding)
3. would you pay to know the time of the attack and the victim in advance?
4. would you pay for "double spend as a service" (in this case you decide coin and the timing of the attack)?
5. is this legal?
6. do you think someone would pay to have me killed?

go!

update: apexcoin attack successful witih 0,07% of available supply

1. yes
2. no but I'm sure there would be rewards if you show weaknesses
3. no (and frankly, fuck you for offering that)
4. see 3
5. prob impossible to tell as with many things in the crypto-sphere
6. neeehh - prob not.

Has there been any actual proof of your attacks or are you just posting "successfull" messages and everyone is supposed to believe it ?
I'm with most people here. Attack a relatively active NXT clone or fork, show proof and then we can talk.

BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 12:59:11 PM

I'm with most people here. Attack a relatively active NXT clone or fork, show proof and then we can talk.
nkt nakamatodark is a hybrid and low market. I'm curious to know if it can handle the stress.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:30:50 PM

Has there been any actual proof of your attacks or are you just posting "successfull" messages and everyone is supposed to believe it ?

Bittrex confirmed his APEX attack.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=686403.msg10169983#msg10169983
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:52:11 PM

What's next? This is very popcorn

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:54:41 PM

Good to know...thanks for posting that.
Alright then...let's see how easy it is with a more active coin.

Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

Activity: 1295
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:45:00 PM

Let's create a Hackcoin.

Everyone who is interested in POS security can download the wallet.
Everyone who is interested in hacking can play around with it.
The results could be useful for every honest coin.

We should never forget one thing: We are fighting against the system (banks and governments) - we are not fighting against decentralized digital currencies, am I right?

Some of us believe in what we are doing. The destruction of a random coin isn't the solution.

Cheers,
Ray
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 09:08:32 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 09:19:07 PM by David Latapie

The real test for NXT will come if someone sets up a ponzi using NXT.
There are NXT ponzi on a regular basis.

We should never forget one thing: We are fighting against the system (banks and governments) - we are not fighting against decentralized digital currencies, am I right?

Exactly. United we stand, divided we fall - the coming rise of cryptofiat
While we are partying, the real competition1 is readying its weapons...
[...] A friend used the word of "crypto-balkanization". That's exactly it.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 09:42:03 PM

Perhaps you read something that I missed then. In his OP he states his reasoning is because of the "quantity" of coins, not the "quality." Personally I see no reason to attack coins, especially ones that meet his own agenda and not the consensus of the entire crypto community. History has shown that most all shit coins will die natural deaths anyway. Let the herd cull itself instead of having some wannabe savior of the crypto world launch attacks on whatever coins he chooses.  

I agree. It's a fascinating topic.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 09:46:07 PM

I agree with what you are saying. However, from reading his posts it doesn't seem like he is actually trying to be helpful. It seems more like a "look what I can do" kind of thing. Did the Apexcoin community, whatever there is of it, ask him to attack them? He supposedly successfully attacked Apexcoin, and now the crypto world knows there is a vulnerability in POS. Is there really a need to continue any further attacks? Attack all the dead coins you want, but leave legitimate coins alone.

Because a guy does something for his own reasons don't necessarily make it without merit on its own. I agree with you on his apparent motives, but as a POS afficionado, I'd still encourage guys like this because if they can do it, it shows a vulnerability that needs fixing.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 4824

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:03:17 PM

^^This, I was to lazy to type it earlier. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ConcernedStaker

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:05:39 PM

cynicSOB, what would be the required countermeasure for a staking coin? decrease the maximum coin age?
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:07:42 PM

cynicSOB , will you be attacking the Nxt testnet?

Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:22:14 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 10:40:31 PM by Crestington

Let's create a Hackcoin.

Some of us believe in what we are doing. The destruction of a random coin isn't the solution.

Cheers,
Ray

I already have a POS only Coin running on a live network but not sure if I want to do this since it may mean it will break the Coin.

I have local connection problems need resolving but network running smoothly.

Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:40:48 PM

Let's create a Hackcoin.

Cheers,
Ray

I already have a POS only Coin running on a live network but not sure if I want to do this.

I have local connection problems need resolving but network running smoothly.

Explain? Why not? Do ya think you're the next?
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:50:29 PM

Let's create a Hackcoin.

Cheers,
Ray

I already have a POS only Coin running on a live network but not sure if I want to do this.

Explain? Why not?

I have other stuff I am working on the protocol level and have limited amounts of time to work on it. I need to bugtest the IRC and adding in StakeforCharity and use of multiple wallets so if we break it then I have to go back and work on that as well.

Also, the specs are

2 minute block time
7/28 day min/max age
8% a year halving down to 4% every 64X difficulty
20 coin fee
Fees included in POS blocks and rewards a bonus 10% more fees received in the block
max amount from Stake is 4000 coins (plus fees on top)
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:55:11 PM

Other stuff than security?
Seems you are not behind your coin. Features are not necessary.

Safe your coin, then you'll have time for the toys.
Your post looks to me like advertising.

Cheers,
Ray

PS: Your sig... Paycoin. It says all.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Kaspa

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 11:04:08 PM

so something like mintcoin  20/40 min/max stake age would be better protection than the coins with super low min stake age and no max age?

edit: how does getting multiple pos blocks in a row enable someone to double spend? I'm not that tech minded and trying to understand Tongue

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: