Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:41:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: arXiv Silk Road Study  (Read 2933 times)
SpontaneousDisorder (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:44:11 PM

http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.7139

We further discovered that
sales volume is increasing; currently corresponding to approximately USD 1.9 million/month for the entire
marketplace, corresponding to USD 143,000/month in commissions for Silk Road operators

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:58:11 PM

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1149

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:02:16 PM

http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.7139

We further discovered that
sales volume is increasing; currently corresponding to approximately USD 1.9 million/month for the entire
marketplace, corresponding to USD 143,000/month in commissions for Silk Road operators

An interesting point about this study is how the feedback they're using as their data source is probably actually quite good data. Consider what would happen if SilkRoad was hiding feedback to decrease the apparent trade volumes: people would notice their feedback was missing from the seller's site, and wonder what else silk road was hiding. Similarly, faked feedback, without informing the sellers at least, is equally likely to blow up in their face as sellers get suspicious.

They can't even try to target individual users: if we cook the feedback for Alice she can anonymously login as Bob and notice something is up. Similarly cooking feedback for users who do a lot of searches but never buy anything doesn't work either as the researchers can just make multiple new accounts.

Even creating fake sellers is risky, as people might try to buy from them... Although if you only offer really high-value items, for instance, you could probably get away with that. Note how this is much more likely to be a problem on their sister site, The Armory...

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:37:42 PM

mtgox monthly volume 7-10x larger than SR's,  contrary to previous speculations that mostly SR marketplace fuels Bitcoin economy
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 09:39:06 PM

Over our entire collection interval, the daily volume
of sales approaches 11,650 BTC/day. By means of comparison, the average daily volume of exchanges for
US dollars on the largest Bitcoin exchange, Mt.Gox [4] is approximately 59,980 BTC/day

Very interesting quote in my opinion. A buyer on SR needs to buy BTC, while the seller on SR needs to sell it if he wants fiat.
So every BTC traded on SR is traded twice on Mtgox. That means 11,5k daily SR volume can lead to 23k daily Mtgox volume.
That's close to _half_ of Mtgox volume!!

Now not every seller will want to sell his BTC, but it's an interesting quote nevertheless.

Edit: Okay, maybe not close to half. But significant still. This does dismiss other exchanges though. How big of a market-share does Mtgox currently have? 60% I believe?

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:59:14 PM

mtgox monthly volume 7-10x larger than SR's,  contrary to previous speculations that mostly SR marketplace fuels Bitcoin economy
You're comparing two very different things. Stock exchange volume world wide is many times global GDP...
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 11:21:24 PM

You're comparing two very different things. Stock exchange volume world wide is many times global GDP...

contrary to previous speculations that stock exchanges have anything to do with production on this planet.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 12:59:07 AM

What is your point?

The FOREX market has a total daily turnover rate of $4 trillion.  The gross world product is about $80 trillion.  SR is selling manufactured goods, they take capital and labor and create goods that are more valuable than the parts separate.  MtGox is a zero-sum game for speculators and just a place to exchange currency for those that want to buy or sell something using the Bitcoin currency.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 01:59:53 AM

What is your point?

The FOREX market has a total daily turnover rate of $4 trillion.  The gross world product is about $80 trillion.  SR is selling manufactured goods, they take capital and labor and create goods that are more valuable than the parts separate.  MtGox is a zero-sum game for speculators and just a place to exchange currency for those that want to buy or sell something using the Bitcoin currency.

exactly.  When I was day trading on gox I was doing 5-10 trades a day of most of my balance so the trade volume has nothing to do with how much money is actually there or doing something of value.

nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 02:04:55 AM

Daily crawls? Damn. I didn't think Tor was fast enough that they could access every SR page in only 24 hours.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 03:07:43 AM

of sales approaches 11,650 BTC/day. By means of comparison, the average daily volume of exchanges for
US dollars on the largest Bitcoin exchange, Mt.Gox [4] is approximately 59,980 BTC/day

Very interesting quote in my opinion. A buyer on SR needs to buy BTC, while the seller on SR needs to sell it if he wants fiat.
So every BTC traded on SR is traded twice on Mtgox. That means 11,5k daily SR volume can lead to 23k daily Mtgox volume.

Now not every seller will want to sell his BTC, but it's an interesting quote nevertheless.

Edit: Okay, maybe not close to half. But significant still. This does dismiss other exchanges though. How big of a market-share does Mtgox currently have? 60% I believe?

Given that MtGox follows the KYC requirements and even bans Tor logins, it is highly likely that most of SR-related exchange happens elsewhere. It is also likely that a portion of SR coins stays withing the system, simply enabling barter (dope for guns for lamps and back).

Gox currently has ~80% of non-OTC trades.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 03:26:35 AM

No way does every SR trade hit Gox twice. Lots of miners are going to just buy directly, lots of sellers are going to save in BTC, some will spend revenue back at SR as mentioned. Then you've got the fact that other exchanges make up about 20% of formal volume and the fact the SR users are going to tend more heavily away from Gox and will sell OTC if possible. I'd be very surprised if 1/2 of SR volume ended up on Gox, def not 2x.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
SpontaneousDisorder (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:21:57 AM

Since every buy is a sell also, there should be no need to double count SR volume?
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:26:09 AM

It struck me that monthly profits are estimated at $140k.  Let's say with stealth deals $200k. The amount of work behind SR must be enormous: coding, constant security audits, server infrastructure (likely distributed), management of escrows, dispute resolution, customer support, whatnot.  There is no way a single person can run this business with this success.

So, it's a small group of people working very hard and risking a lot for a miserable renumeration.

===

As for the SR trade volume, it's estimated at $65k daily.  For comparison, Gox daily volume has generally been in the range of $200-$400k. Overall daily Bitcoin transaction volume, after eliminating the "change" transactions to self, has been equivalent to ~one million USD (blockchain.info).

What I'd really like to know is what fraction of overall BTC transaction volume is due to "mixing" services. If this is significant, it could be argued that SR represents a significant part of BTC economy; if mixing does not contribute a lot, then the conclusion is that there is much, much more to Bitcoin (1-2M daily) than SR (65k daily).

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 04:07:06 PM

What is your point?

exactly.  When I was day trading on gox I was doing 5-10 trades a day of most of my balance so the trade volume has nothing to do with how much money is actually there or doing something of value.

I refuse to believe that Bitcoin economy is driven strictly by SR marketplace as it was claimed elsewhere on this forum, surprisingly SR is more successful than I initially thought without delving into that realm. Comparing SR and Mtgox volume was indeed inadequate.
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 04:20:08 PM

What is your point?

I refuse to believe that Bitcoin economy is driven strictly by SR marketplace as it was claimed elsewhere on this forum, surprisingly SR is more successful than I initially thought without delving into that realm. Comparing SR and Mtgox volume was indeed inadequate.

I agree bitcoin economy is not *strictly* driven by SR, but what other actual commerce occurs in bitcoins? The only thing of a similar magnitude (possibly bigger) is gambling. What else is there? People selling GPUs and doodads OTC. Speculation (some of which is captured by MtGox volume).

Looking at this study, I suspect it greatly underestimates SR-related business. The largest transactions between repeat buyers and sellers almost certainly occur off-exchange, not unlike they do with eBay.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 02:32:13 AM

It struck me that monthly profits are estimated at $140k.  Let's say with stealth deals $200k. The amount of work behind SR must be enormous: coding, constant security audits, server infrastructure (likely distributed), management of escrows, dispute resolution, customer support, whatnot.  There is no way a single person can run this business with this success.

It's always good to remember that revenue is an unreliable indicator of profit.  Many people starting their first business grossly underestimate the cost of overheads and especially how much those overheads will increase as the business grows.  You soon reach the stage where it's impossible for one person to handle all aspects of running the business, but often before you have sufficient profits to automate processes and hire additional staff and before your business has anything which makes it attractive to outside investors (even if the owner is willing to trade equity for capital to fund growth). 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: