Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:29:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people sell bitcoins and move the money back to their bank?  (Read 3564 times)
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:01:42 PM

It's something I don't understand.
So you buy some bitcoins, you then sell them at a good price (you've made a profit) and then bitcoin goes down inevitably at which point you can buy more and then the price goes up and you sell them again.
At what point do you decide to quit and cash out?
Is it fear of a Bitcoinica type situation?
Surely once you have Bitcoins/$ in the system you can play this game forever.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 06:12:01 PM

I have bills to pay and lemons to buy sometimes.

Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:17:11 PM

I have bills to pay and lemons to buy sometimes.

Basic life needs for most.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:19:04 PM

I've never cashed out.  Never intend to.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Sitarow
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:23:06 PM

I cant wait for the day when you can pay BTC for

Basic life needs.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 06:38:37 PM

I convert them to Amazon gift credit with spendbitcoins.com if the rate is around $0.50 +/- deviation for a week. You can store up gift credit on Amazon and I trust their security more than my lack of an offline wallet (not that I've ever gotten a ton of BTC to justify making one). If I hadn't converted, I only would have gained around a couple bucks total, when the rate jumped from $5.xx to $6.xx.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 07:07:12 PM

How do you know this is happening? Of course there are miners that sell BTC to pay expenses, but why do you think speculators cash out other than for arbitrage? I'm sure some do, but for the most part folks are in the game, win or lose.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 07:56:37 PM

As a somewhat related aside, this sort of proves that the notion of a deflationary spiral for bitcoins is just a bunch of hot air. When people need to, they spend BTC, no matter what they think it might do a week, month or year from now.
Sitarow
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:01:30 PM

Canada government last week adjusted the details associated with mortgages that will take effect July 9th thats two weeks from today. Therefore maybe they will be needing their own bailout. Here is an interesting article to read on one persons take of the situation.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:10:23 PM

I've never cashed out.  Never intend to.
+1 same here.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:11:06 PM

Expenses
Debt
Diversification/Profit taking
Spending
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 10:14:07 PM

So you buy some bitcoins, you then sell them at a good price (you've made a profit) and then bitcoin goes down inevitably at which point you can buy more and then the price goes up and you sell them again.
At what point do you decide to quit and cash out?

When you misjudge the level of the rise.  For instance, let's say I sold after figuring $6.10 was about the top of this little run we just saw.  I'ld now hav to buy back at more than what I sold it for.

Predictions are hard, especially about the future.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 10:17:06 PM

For bitcoin miners like myself we purchased video cards with 6 month+ payoff time frames so we have to sell constantly when the price is good just to get to a break even point before we start to make real profit.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 10:40:32 PM

For bitcoin miners like myself we purchased video cards with 6 month+ payoff time frames so we have to sell constantly when the price is good just to get to a break even point before we start to make real profit.

Miners won't earn profits selling constantly at a price higher than cost. They have to hoard and speculate just like everyone else.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 11:09:20 PM

Keep the banks off my back.  Last I check, they still don't take bitcoins for the fiat I owe them.
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 12:16:48 AM

Miners won't earn profits selling constantly at a price higher than cost. They have to hoard and speculate just like everyone else.
I don't pay for power.  So 100% of my sold coins go to paying off the last GPU I bought.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:43:04 AM

Counting only USD based assets, my net worth is -$50k (students loans, mortgage).
Counting only BTC based assets, my net worth is > $7k and rapidly growing.

That's why I sell BTC.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 04:11:42 AM

I sell because I spent all my dollars on coins and now earn only coins.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:44:07 AM

I don't pay for power.  So 100% of my sold coins go to paying off the last GPU I bought.
Yeah that's an option when you're 12 or a thief.
TehZomB

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 05:51:06 AM

Yeah that's an option when you're 12 or a thief.

Not true. I own two houses that I rent out, in both lease agreements I cover the power bill.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: