Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:31:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins  (Read 122189 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 01:05:09 PM

Very interesting reading. I also see you are working on a Trezor clone, and progress in releasing details? I could not find it on your blog.

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 07:39:35 PM

Stellaw always posts good teardown reviews that are very helpful. BitLox seems to be having some quality control issues. I received my review unit last week and it was defective out of the box. It happens. They are sending me a new unit and I should have a full review online next week. I can tell you that the keyboard on my first review unit did not have the bulge in the middle Stellaw showed in their photos and the keyboard was fine, actually had better feel than the one on my Case wallet.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 08:49:18 PM

KeepKey Bitcoin Wallet - Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4N3jtZrEI

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 09:33:32 PM

KeepKey Bitcoin Wallet - Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4N3jtZrEI

KeepKey IMO made a mistake when they decided not to incorporate passphrase protected wallets like Trezor did. KeepKey works fine, looks beautiful but you really need to keep your seed protected very very well.

With a Trezor you can use a simple passphrase you can remember and if a thief discovers your seed he would not be able to steal any bitcoin stored in your passphrase protected wallet (if you have a few bitcoin not protected by the passphrase they would be at risk.) Trezor devs really produced a well designed product with just about every option you could ask for.

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:16:06 PM

With a Trezor you can use a simple passphrase you can remember and if a thief discovers your seed he would not be able to steal any bitcoin stored in your passphrase protected wallet (if you have a few bitcoin not protected by the passphrase they would be at risk.) Trezor devs really produced a well designed product with just about every option you could ask for.
I don't see the difference. You have to protect your seed in the same way you protect your passphrase.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 02:35:28 AM

I don't see the difference. You have to protect your seed in the same way you protect your passphrase.

When you initialize your Trezor you are given your seed of course. When you use your Trezor if you do not create a passphrase protected wallet all your bitcoin could be stolen if a thief gets your seed. You have the option in Trezor to create passphrase protected wallets that only show up in myTrezor.com if you enter your passphrase after the PIN.

A thief who gets your seed but not your passphrase will never be able to access the passphrase protected wallet. Do you own a Trezor? If not take a look at the user manual advanced settings for more info.

Bridgewater

Activity: 133

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 12:24:19 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2016, 12:01:16 AM by Bridgewater

The Trezor stores the mnemonics in plain text on a generic microcontroller.   If someone steals the Trezor, it could be possible to use physical hacking techniques to get the mnemonic out of it, thus bypassing the PIN protection.   In that case, all wallets created from those mnemonics would be stolen.

But if you create a wallet based on the mnemonics inside the Trezor PLUS a passphrase, then it would be impossible for the person in physical possession of the device to steal your money without the passphrase for that particular wallet.

Having wallet passphrases means you can carry the Trezor around with you and not worry about losing it, or even getting held at gunpoint because you can give them dummy/low-balance wallet passphrases while the thief will be completely unaware of your large-balance wallet.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:13:05 AM

Having wallet passphrases means you can carry the Trezor around with you and not worry about losing it, or even getting held at gunpoint because you can give them dummy/low-balance wallet passphrases while the thief will be completely unaware of your large-balance wallet.
Does Tresor allow 2 seeds/passphrases, one for dummy/low-balance and another for large-balance wallets?
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 02:38:35 PM

Does Tresor allow 2 seeds/passphrases, one for dummy/low-balance and another for large-balance wallets?

Trezor only has one seed that all wallets and addresses are derived from. You can set up more than one passphrase protected wallet. Trezor talks about this use case here.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 06:35:28 PM

KeepKey Wants to Pay You to Be an Affiliate

http://bitcoinist.net/keepkey-wants-to-pay-you-to-be-an-affiliate/

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 04:16:35 PM

Bitcoin CoolWallet Review – It’s Indeed a Cool Wallet

https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin-coolwallet-review/

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 07:29:10 PM

Just added first full BitLox Bitcoin Hardware Wallet Review. Hope you find it useful.

Watercooler

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:09:33 PM

I've just ordered my first hardware wallet, I went for the Ledger Nano. Hopefully it arrives next week  Smiley

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

▓▓▓ BITMIXER.IO ▓▓▓▓▓▓ High Volume Bitcoin MIXER ▓▓▓
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 09:04:36 PM

I've just ordered my first hardware wallet, I went for the Ledger Nano. Hopefully it arrives next week  Smiley

You'll probably like it.  It seems to be a good product at the right price.  So far I have not had problems with it.

It works, and the price is right.  What more would I, a simple man, really want?
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 08:55:27 AM

KeepKey Bitcoin Wallet video review

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/keepkey-bitcoin-wallet-video-review/?utm_content=buffer90135&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 02:35:05 PM

You'll probably like it.  It seems to be a good product at the right price.  So far I have not had problems with it.

It works, and the price is right.  What more would I, a simple man, really want?

A wallet with passphrase support? That way if your seed is stolen your bitcoins are still safe ... as long as you do not forget your passphrase of course:) Even using a simple passphrase adds a significant security layer to your hardware wallet. AFAIK the only hardware wallets that allow you to protect a wallet with a passphrase are Trezor and BitLox.

Bridgewater

Activity: 133

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 02:50:32 AM

A wallet with passphrase support? That way if your seed is stolen your bitcoins are still safe ... as long as you do not forget your passphrase of course:) Even using a simple passphrase adds a significant security layer to your hardware wallet. AFAIK the only hardware wallets that allow you to protect a wallet with a passphrase are Trezor and BitLox.

Not disagreeing that the addition of a passphrase would increase security.  That would be awesome.

However, you could say that the Ledger Nano does not "need" the passphrase as much as the Trezor does.    Trezor stores the mnemonic in plain text on a generic open-source microcontroller, so it is more susceptible to hardware attack vectors than the way Ledger Nano stores its seed--the closed-source smartcard element.  The latter would require infinitely more resources to crack--or reveal existence of a backdoor)--which, considering the widespread use of it in the banking sector, would be prohibitively expensive for such an attack.
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 04:33:12 AM

Not disagreeing that the addition of a passphrase would increase security.  That would be awesome.

also I'm not adding a passphrase because that would have to be done in a non interoperable way - PBKDF2 is just too slow to run on an 8 bits CPU operating around 10 MHz. It would be indeed trivial to just have a 3DES typically. If people feel like that could fit a new BIP it's a different story.

However, you could say that the Ledger Nano does not "need" the passphrase as much as the Trezor does.    Trezor stores the mnemonic in plain text on a generic open-source microcontroller, so it is more susceptible to hardware attack vectors than the way Ledger Nano stores its seed--the closed-source smartcard element.  The latter would require infinitely more resources to crack--or reveal existence of a backdoor)--which, considering the widespread use of it in the banking sector, would be prohibitively expensive for such an attack.

yes, that's exactly the reason why I'm not pushing that option too much. It should be mandatory if you store a secret on a generic microcontroller, especially if that secret is complicated to revoke - typically what's acceptable for Bitcoin is not fine for remote authentication

BitLox

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 10:57:13 AM

Just added first full BitLox Bitcoin Hardware Wallet Review. Hope you find it useful.

I'd like to post this additional info: this week the BitLox team will be uploading & open sourcing our apps (Chrome/Web/iOS/Android) that interface with this hardware wallet.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 10:02:02 AM

Only now realised this thread does not have reviews made around here and some others...

Trezor
KeepKey 1, 2, 3, 4
Ledger Nano
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: