OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins
<< < (129/139) > >>
Neptunium:
Quote from: SpartanBit on June 20, 2016, 07:59:06 PM

Quote from: btchip on June 20, 2016, 02:28:15 PM

More details about Ledger Nano S : https://medium.com/@Ledger/ledger-nano-s-secure-multi-currency-hardware-wallet-65b0574cfaa1

Well that didn't take long. On my way to preorder....

I love that they added an LED display.
BitcoinNewsMagazine:
I think they had to add a screen in order to compete with Trezor and KeepKey both at $99 now. Smart move. If I read the specs right they have fixed the problems people complained about: you can now initialize a Nano S on an infected computer and no more security card to bother with. I do note they only allow for a four digit PIN though. I would feel more comfortable with a longer PIN. And they beat both Trezor and KeepKey to be the first to offer a hardware wallet for Ether looks like and at a cheaper price. I look forward to buying one.
bitcoinisfurture:
Thanks. This is really great stuff of having all under one roof. This will help while thinking which one is a better wallet and what distinguishes one from another. A must read .
btchip:
Quote from: BitcoinNewsMagazine on June 20, 2016, 06:21:00 PM

Reported on reddit that the Nano S will work with Mycelium on Android. Could you guys please consider selling a decent OTG adaptor for newer phones that use USB C? I am aware there are adaptors for sale on Amazon but they are crap, do not work.

yes, we're considering that

Quote from: AussieHash on June 20, 2016, 08:28:03 PM

How does PIN entry work ? Like setting the time on your oven ?

pretty much, you scroll through the numbers with the up/down keys and validate each digit by pressing both simultaneously

Are passphrases supported ?

they are but not enabled yet as the stretching still takes about 10 seconds

How are seeds generated ? Just like HW.1 by the chrome app ?

Seeds are generated by the device on this hardware

Does seed generation use 2 sources of entropy ?

It just uses the chip entropy for the time being but that's quite easy to change (we started with that because the Blue can be set up without being connected to anything)

Is the mnemonic seed generated on the hardware wallet and exclusively displayed on the OLED screen ? Or on the chrome wallet extension like HW.1 ?

It's only displayed on the device screen

How does mnemonic seed recovery work ?

You enter the mnemonic words on device - same than with the PIN. It's a bit painful but still usable as we can suggest auto completion after we get the first 3-4 letters of each word.

Out of the box does Ledger S work with mycelium/electrum or will they need updates ?

they need an update which is basically just changing the USB device ID. It should be published when the device is out.

Will a new udev rule be required for *nix ?

Yes because the device ID changed

What happens after 3 incorrect PIN attempts ? Will Ledger S share the power cycle requirement between PIN attempts ?

The device seed is wiped after 3 wrong PINs. Since the PIN is entered on device, we don't have that power cycle requirement as a malware cannot wipe the device on its own.

What are the specs of the STM chip ?

The Secure Element is an ST31H320, the generic MCU is an STM32F042

Where are the apps stored ? On the STM ?

Applications are stored on the Secure Element.

What source code of Ledger S is available to review ? What's closed source/NDA and unavailable ?

The code will be available on https://github.com/LedgerHQ - it will include all high level applications and the STM32 firmware.

The ST31 kernel (bootloader, isolation, implementation of the SDK APIs) is unavailable right now but will be over time as we figure a way to properly isolate the Hardware Abstraction Layer that we cannot release and have something users can build and link against. We described the way forward in a Medium post earlier.
The rough roadmap looks like :
* Provide more code as read-only material (you can compile chunks into the apps, but not verify what's on device)
* Provide an Open Source version of the isolation kernel that can work on a generic MCU with MPU/MMU support
* Provide a version of the above that can be compiled, linked against an encrypted binary blob implementing the NDA-ed parts (mostly related to chip initialization, memory & I/O), loaded and verified on device

When's shipping?

29th of July

Do you have a video of S in action ?

Coming soon, in a couple weeks

Do you need a reviewer ? :-)

Of course you'll get one :)
Quote from: BitcoinNewsMagazine on June 20, 2016, 10:58:50 PM

I think they had to add a screen in order to compete with Trezor and KeepKey both at $99 now

I think the most distinctive feature of the Nano S (not considering the screen or the Secure Element) is the ability to write your own applications and load them on demand
Quote from: BitcoinNewsMagazine on June 20, 2016, 10:58:50 PM

I do note they only allow for a four digit PIN though. I would feel more comfortable with a longer PIN.

That would be easy to tweak, but we tried to pick something convenient for the user experience first.
BitcoinNewsMagazine:
Good to know thanks for taking the time. I think you will sell all the Nano S you can make.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page