Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:52:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one get started in devlopment for Bitcoin?  (Read 2918 times)
meowball

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:47:25 PM

Thanks for the answer, I am just looking to get some practice coding so I can try and one day get a job as a programmer, everywhere I apply I don't get many call returns because everyone wants experience.  Its hard to get experience if no one gives you the chance to get some, so I want to start working on side projects to show them I can code

Age old dogma of what comes first ? the egg or chicken.

Freshers need to understand that experience doesnt need to be in a company. Build your own calculator, that counts as an experience. Get the meaning ?

I understand that part, the thing is, I am not going to bring in to a job interview a working calculator, they will look at me like I am crazy.  What they want to see is you actively working with random people on the internet so that you can work and contribute to a team

You can consider contributing within an altcoin community. There are many opportunities out there!

If you enjoy C++ and the intricacies of making a Qt wallet, then you can be a coin dev. If you enjoy making apps, then you can be a web or mobile dev. I've touched coin development, but I enjoy making apps that brings real use cases to the coin much more. To be an app dev, you would probably need to get familiar with RPC and how that works. There are also tons of libraries in different languages for RPC.

If you are interested in making apps and becoming part of an active altcoin community, you can find many if you browse around. I would recommend HYPER  Wink. If you like games, then this would be the community to be at! You can also find open source projects all over the place. For HYPER, I created this github group. There aren't many projects on there yet. They are just open source projects that I have and want to work on. Outside of that, I have a few private repositories where I am working on something called "Hyper Gaming Gateway". More info is in my sig. If you're interested in that, you can PM me!

You are welcome to propose or work on a project anytime you want! If you're like me, you can get intimidated by large open source projects, especially when there isn't sufficient documentation and you don't really know where to get started. Like you, I also have a degree in CS, but I also have a day job. PM if you would like to work together and/or you want to join a coin community with lots of support!
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aemon (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:16:18 PM

@legend

I guess the thing is I have applied at a few places and I don't even get call backs.  My Resume looks good(My brother is a software engineer that does hiring in a different city, said it looked great)  Every place I have been applying to says things like, Show us your github and open source projects you have worked on.  Well I really haven't worked on any so its hard to start from anywhere, I have my normal job and I am active, its hard to just begin coding on open source stuff I feel when I don't have a lot of time. 

@Meow

I am going to take you up on your offer, pm sent.
legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:02:20 PM

@legend

I guess the thing is I have applied at a few places and I don't even get call backs.  My Resume looks good(My brother is a software engineer that does hiring in a different city, said it looked great)  Every place I have been applying to says things like, Show us your github and open source projects you have worked on.  Well I really haven't worked on any so its hard to start from anywhere, I have my normal job and I am active, its hard to just begin coding on open source stuff I feel when I don't have a lot of time. 

@Meow

NEVER, trust family & friend's reviews. If you have a kid, ask him he'll give you the most honest review lol

On a serious note, what do you mean by a normal job ? are you working in softwares or Huh

Work on something small, dont aim big, I'd like to interview someone someday soon, and I'd like to hire someone who knows a lot of little things instead of one single thing where he spent half his adult hood. While the later is good but in a competitive market you need to diversify your skill sets. Am I making sense ?

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 03:20:34 PM

Look here : https://bitcoin.org/en/development . You can see some of the great projects which will help you to start development for Bitcoin. Best of luck! Smiley

@legend

@Meow

NEVER, trust family & friend's reviews. If you have a kid, ask him he'll give you the most honest review lol

If you can't even trust your family and friends, who would you trust then? Huh You can't live in this world with motto "TRUST NO ONE". Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:22:33 PM

If you can't even trust your family and friends, who would you trust then? Huh You can't live in this world with motto "TRUST NO ONE". Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

Dont misquote me, your family members will always support you no matter how much you - pardon my language- suck at something. It'll be always 'good' to them.
Dont bring philosophy into psychology.

But if you have to, then I believe this will satisfy you ;

Full quote :

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

--- Buddh

First ones to remind me this on this forum are Benu da and spndr7 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=217095.0

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
Aemon (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:29:34 PM

On a serious note, what do you mean by a normal job ? are you working in softwares or Huh

Work on something small, dont aim big, I'd like to interview someone someday soon, and I'd like to hire someone who knows a lot of little things instead of one single thing where he spent half his adult hood. While the later is good but in a competitive market you need to diversify your skill sets. Am I making sense ?

I will first say, I always trust friends and family.  If they can't tell you the truth then they aren't helping you at all, which is the main point.  My brother interviews people for software development and looks at thousands of Resumes, he isn't go to not make mine good. 

My normal job, is just an IT job, no coding, just mostly help desk and fix it stuff. 

That is what I have been doing, just learning stuff little by little and trying to put something together.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: