Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:45:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum lost password [REGENERATED !]  (Read 11324 times)
carafleur (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

lost@bitcoinica.com

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 09:42:12 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 02:12:26 PM by carafleur

Good day everyone,
I'm posting in the newbies section because like the topic title says, I lost my electrum password; and I use the newbie section as a punition to my dumbness Embarrassed
It's been a few weeks from now, and I've tried and tried and tried to remember it, unsuccessfully  Cry
It's so frustrating to see my money like it's behind a bulletproof glass !

So I'm asking the (awesome) Electrum dev-team a few questions :
- Is there a maximum number of tries I can do before a software lock is applied to my wallet ?
- Is there a magical way to recover the wallet, or send the funds to another ?
- Is there a brute-force solution existing ? (even though I know my passwords are very often more than 12 chars, including specials...)
- Do you have any suggestion helping me to get my coins back ?

I had only 3.7 BTC in there, so it's no big deal, but I would be happy to give 1 if you make my wallet back to life again Wink

Thanks for reading,
Blessings for helping

“We build but to tear down. Most of our work and resource is squandered. Our onward march is marked by devastation. Everywhere there is an appalling loss of time, effort and life. A cheerless view, but true"
“Most certainly, some planets are not inhabited, but others are, and among these there must exist life under all conditions and phases of development.”

Tesla N

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 12:14:05 AM

No, there should be no software lock.
Do you still remember the seed password? If not, unfortunately there's no viable way of recovering your password as the keys are all encrypted. If there were a backdoor, the password feature would be useless to everyone.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 03:23:51 AM

Depending on how much you can remember about what your password was likely to be, it might be possible to brute-force it.  The more you can remember, the more likely it is.  How narrow can you figure the number of characters (certain that it is more than 8 but less than 15?)  Do you believe you were likely to have used numbers? How many?  Punctuation? Capital letters vs. lower case?  Can you remember any portion of what it would be?  If you know most of it, but just have a few characters your are unsure about, brute-forcing becomes more possible.
carafleur (OP)

lost@bitcoinica.com

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 09:21:29 PM

Ok thanks everyone for confirming what I feared.
My best options are :
- hypnose to have a chance recalling the mysterious sequence of typed in keys (yet twice !)
- brute forcing with a yet to define chronic alcoholic parameter active...

Bottoms up!
Cheers

“We build but to tear down. Most of our work and resource is squandered. Our onward march is marked by devastation. Everywhere there is an appalling loss of time, effort and life. A cheerless view, but true"
“Most certainly, some planets are not inhabited, but others are, and among these there must exist life under all conditions and phases of development.”

Tesla N
carafleur (OP)

lost@bitcoinica.com

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 02:04:16 PM

Hi dudes,
I unexpectedly found my wallet generation seed in a hidden file lost in some folder of my messy disk !
And I'd like to say THANK YOU SMART DEVS !
whoaao, regenerating from seed is a wonderful thing Smiley
I just needed to delete (well renamed for backup) my existing electrum.dat, and relaunch the client. It justs asks you the right thing (seed ID) to regenerate a non encrypted wallet, and voilà Wink
Once again thanks to you electrum devs, you enlighted my cloudy sunday =)

Where can I send a 0.37BTC donation (10% of my no-more-lost funds) ?
I found this address for donations on the ecdsa.org electrum website : 1NTiGdrGgQrA46x9dv7XKhznKgcHrhVxo Is it still available ?
All the best

Tesla N
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 02:58:52 PM

Hi dudes,
I unexpectedly found my wallet generation seed in a hidden file lost in some folder of my messy disk !
And I'd like to say THANK YOU SMART DEVS !
whoaao, regenerating from seed is a wonderful thing Smiley
I just needed to delete (well renamed for backup) my existing electrum.dat, and relaunch the client. It justs asks you the right thing (seed ID) to regenerate a non encrypted wallet, and voilà Wink
Once again thanks to you electrum devs, you enlighted my cloudy sunday =)

Where can I send a 0.37BTC donation (10% of my no-more-lost funds) ?
I found this address for donations on the ecdsa.org electrum website : 1NTiGdrGgQrA46x9dv7XKhznKgcHrhVxo Is it still available ?
All the best
It seems that it's still available - someone sent 0.4 on 3rd this month.
http://blockchain.info/address/1NTiGdrGgQrA46x9dv7XKhznKgcHrhVxo
carafleur (OP)

lost@bitcoinica.com

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 03:32:52 PM

Yay, it's done

Tesla N
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: