Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:51:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin price insurance  (Read 1725 times)
wangxinxi (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

Founder & CEO of Coinut.com, Litecoin Core Dev

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 08:36:51 AM

Most of you posses some Bitcoins. If the price goes down, you lose money. Do you need some kind of insurance that will compensate you if the price goes down?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 08:43:24 AM

Their is the need for theft insurance, not insurance for bitcoin price fluctuations. Prices going down is usually a time to buy bitcoin.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 10:06:27 AM

Do you need some kind of insurance that will compensate you if the price goes down?
We already have some kind of insurance against that (you should know, you're providing it). What we need is a better kind of insurance, ie, vanilla options. Get to it.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
wangxinxi (OP)

Activity: 826

Founder & CEO of Coinut.com, Litecoin Core Dev

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 10:24:35 AM

Do you need some kind of insurance that will compensate you if the price goes down?
We already have some kind of insurance against that (you should know, you're providing it). What we need is a better kind of insurance, ie, vanilla options. Get to it.

Haha, thanks. We will probably release vanilla options by the end of Jan. I just want to know whether people need it.  Grin
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 10:54:53 AM

Haha, thanks. We will probably release vanilla options by the end of Jan. I just want to know whether people need it.  Grin
Yeah, I just found your other thread about that, thereby making my earlier response seem redundant. I've spoken on numerous occasions about the need for vanilla options, and now you're making me put my money where my mouth is. I'll need some time to think about this.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 11:38:33 AM

the insurance against that is to hold, like always
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 01:37:17 PM

If a person has 1000 bucks, buy 250 bucks worth of bitcoin. The remaining balance is your insurance *if the price goes down*. If it does happen, use another 250 to buy more. whatever balance remaining is still your insurance in case of a drop. As it goes down further, use that to buy more until you are dry  Grin

It sounds silly because if you don't believe in any of these insurance thing, then use the whole of 1000 to buy at the spot price.

Barabbas0

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 03:35:28 PM

If a person has 1000 bucks, buy 250 bucks worth of bitcoin. The remaining balance is your insurance *if the price goes down*. If it does happen, use another 250 to buy more. whatever balance remaining is still your insurance in case of a drop. As it goes down further, use that to buy more until you are dry  Grin

It sounds silly because if you don't believe in any of these insurance thing, then use the whole of 1000 to buy at the spot price.

You really have no idea how hedging works, do you? I, for one, would value BTC derivatives. At the very least, I expect a lot of attention to married puts.
Undermood
Legendary

Activity: 950

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 03:37:04 PM

Their is the need for theft insurance, not insurance for bitcoin price fluctuations. Prices going down is usually a time to buy bitcoin.
some business dealing with bitcoin maybe need this service to lock their profit and eliminate the price fluctuation risk specially when bitcoin is under down turn!

╓▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖,
         ,▄██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▄,
        ▄████▀▀░░        ░╙▀▓███▓,
      ,███╣▒▒▒░░╓╖╖╖╖╖╖,░░░▒▒╢▓▓▓[
     ╓▓██▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╢▓▓▓▓
    ╖▒▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▓▓▓▓▒░,
   ╫▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒               "▓▓▓▓▓▓  ╟
  ▐▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓╖              ▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ]
 ,▓▓░░░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▄           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓`░░ ▐▓▌
 ╟▓▓▌░░░ ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓         ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░╓▓▓▓
 ╟▓▓▓▓   ░`▓▓▓▓▓▓,      ╟▓▓▓▓▓╜░░░░╓▓▓▓▓
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓,░ ░ ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖   ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░╟▓▓▓▓▌
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖░   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌ ╓██████▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓`
   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌  ░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓  ░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓╢╣╢╢▓███▓█▀
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓@░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▄░▒▒░▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀
            ╙▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀`
InfinitusToken.io
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███

███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
   ███
⚑⚑ Read our Whitepaper
⚑⚑ Medium ⚑⚑ Telegram
[/ta
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 03:47:46 PM

some business dealing with bitcoin maybe need this service to lock their profit and eliminate the price fluctuation risk specially when bitcoin is under down turn!
this is like a kind of future contracts to hedge the risk! But personal investors can also profit from trading it!
Barabbas0

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 05:20:59 PM

this is like a kind of future contracts to hedge the risk! But personal investors can also profit from trading it!

Or like any derivatives contract. One trader's risk is another trader's protection. You can use options for extra leverage (risk) or to move around delta, protecting your downside at the expense of the upside. FWIW, November '13 would be less "violent" if options were available. Put prices would be balanced by those seeking protection or leverage.
hdd3go
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 05:25:14 PM

Bitcoin insurance ,interesting , and more and more Bitcoin financial instruments are coming true.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 05:31:21 PM

never thought about this before "bitcoin price insurance"
and how it works?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 08:59:36 PM

maybe your answer is "LOCKS" from

https://coinapult.com/

?

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 03:03:12 AM

If a person has 1000 bucks, buy 250 bucks worth of bitcoin. The remaining balance is your insurance *if the price goes down*. If it does happen, use another 250 to buy more. whatever balance remaining is still your insurance in case of a drop. As it goes down further, use that to buy more until you are dry  Grin

You really have no idea how hedging works, do you? I, for one, would value BTC derivatives. At the very least, I expect a lot of attention to married puts.

Hedging is a form of investment insurance. If you bet 250 and pile up another 500 when price goes down, basically that is done to protect your position.

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:41:03 AM

If a person has 1000 bucks, buy 250 bucks worth of bitcoin. The remaining balance is your insurance *if the price goes down*. If it does happen, use another 250 to buy more. whatever balance remaining is still your insurance in case of a drop. As it goes down further, use that to buy more until you are dry  Grin

Hedging is a form of investment insurance. If you bet 250 and pile up another 500 when price goes down, basically that is done to protect your position.

tyrexs

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:07:53 AM

im just hear bitcoin price insurance, what is that

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:03:18 AM

The insurance against theft or lost password is most needed, but unfortunately there is no way to prove that the coins are stolen by others instead of you

Barabbas0

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:56:27 PM

im just hear bitcoin price insurance, what is that

You should read up on option strategies, but basically, say you own 100 shares of XYZ. XYZ currently trades at $100/share. You want protect yourself against a downturn, so you decide to buy a $95 put contract. That contract gives you (buyer) the right to sell 100 shares (1 option contract per 100 shares) of XYZ at $95 (Strike price) at any point between now and an agreed upon point in the future (expiration date).

The seller has the obligation of taking those shares if you exercise. This is risky, as XYZ could plummet to, say, $50 and now the seller has to buy at $95 and sell at $50. This risk is reflected in the price of the contract.

If XYZ rises, you profit from your shares, but lose the cost of the put contract. If it falls, you get to sell at $95, even if XYZ goes bankrupt.

That's put insurance in a nutshell. There's also calls which give the buyer the right to buy at a certain price. In November 2013 if you could have purchased a $2000 BTC call, it probably would have been extremely pricey, but in early 2014 when the price plummeted you would have only been out the cost of the call contract, instead of holding onto a depreciating asset.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 02:09:25 PM

This is ok, if you have many BTC, then yes, you can make insurance. I do not know any company, which do that type of BTC price insurance  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: