Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:31:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: forum.bitcoin.org should run advertising  (Read 2161 times)
mikegogulski (OP)

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 04:46:29 AM

forum.bitcoin.org should run advertising.

I don't know exactly what the motivations of the current forum operators are, but the Bitcoin forums, right now, are an extraordinarily critical resource for the growth and sustenance of the Bitcoin ecosystem.

Therefore, those incentives should be strengthened.

Please, oh gracious forum admins, whose noses we are not worthy to pick, add advertising to the forums, so that you may obtain an additional monetary incentive for your work.

That is all. If this message does not pertain to you, please return now to your scheduled work allocation.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 04:51:32 AM

I've thought about it. At first I thought I would like it because then I could advertise. Then I changed my mind and realized I'd MUCH rather, whoever was paying for the site, would ask for donations if they needed more money. I'm sure many would donate and then you don't have to worry about advertising rules and conflicts of interest...it's way more simple and fair.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 04:59:02 AM

I've thought about it. At first I thought I would like it because then I could advertise. Then I changed my mind and realized I'd MUCH rather, whoever was paying for the site, would ask for donations if they needed more money. I'm sure many would donate and then you don't have to worry about advertising rules and conflicts of interest...it's way more simple and fair.

Whichever. Take donations. Run ads. Let supporters give, and random jackasses pay Smiley Both ways, the forum becomes an income stream for its operators, and therefore more likely to stay up.

nickwit

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:02:16 AM

I think it would be quite useful to have a side-bar with graphical ads... a bit like these

http://9rules.com/design/

but a bit wider maybe. I'd be quite interested to see what other people are selling for bitcoins - and I'd be quite interested in advertising.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:33:13 AM

The forum is hosted on sourceforge.net, guys. So you don't need to worry about the site going down.

However, you could allocate the revenues to something like bitcoin bounties.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:38:00 AM

The forum is not hosted on SourceForge.net.

I would prefer donations if necessary. Ads are annoying.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:41:15 AM

The forum is not hosted on SourceForge.net.

Just use ads block.

mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 05:54:41 AM

Only if you don't run AdBlock.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 07:13:21 AM

NO ads please. A site about financial topics with ads looks really fishy and untrustworthy. It would undermine the efforts under way to convey more professionalism.

I also recommend disallowing graphical banners in signatures. There is no reason why people should be able to put annoying ads here for free.

If money is needed to keep hosting the server, just request some donations, I'm sure there are many people with coins lying around that are interested in the future availability of this forum.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 07:17:12 AM

You should add a "donate bitcoin" button on the homepage Grin

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 07:45:02 AM

"advertisements ?
do you mean various "banner networks" in 80% times used to code injection[via 1px iframe or otherways]or other malicious purposes without their owners notice or consent by 3-rd-party entities[anonymously in 90% cases] ? no, thats BAD idea, IMO.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 09:22:43 AM

operation fabulous the site, donate all proceeds to the faucet?
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:06:39 AM

How about getting a partnership with one of the hosting providers that accept bitcoin? They host the forums for free or for a heavy discount and in return they get a perma ad thanking them for their contribution.

Though, I've never heard sirius asking for help. Maybe he is rich and has no problem paying the bills by himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: