Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:18:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is genjix's work being removed?  (Read 1577 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:29:39 PM

I put a lot of work into the bitcoin.org clients page to make everything fairer, and now it will be removed, helping to recentralise bitcoin again.

If he is telling the truth I'd like to know what exactly his work is and why it's being removed. Why is he saying it's going to recentralize bitcoin?

I'd also appreciate it if someone could explain what he meant by:

Electrum maybe has a security flaw and Macs have random problems.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 12:33:24 PM

He was putting code on bitcoin.org without asking to anyone, without votes/poll ...

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:45:49 PM

I'd also appreciate it if someone could explain what he meant by:

Electrum maybe has a security flaw and Macs have random problems.

I've tried electrum on mac, and while it works like charm, it outputs weird errors to the console ("recursion limit exceeded" or something like that). However these errors don't seem to affect functionality in any way.

The security errors I don't know about, and I at least don't believe there isn't anything serious currently.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:27:04 PM

He was putting code on bitcoin.org without asking to anyone, without votes/poll ...
Yes, he ruffled a bunch of feathers by unilaterally changing bitcoin.org instead of submitting a pull request that could be tweaked and argued about.

You can see the discussion here:  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4FFBF1DF.8070203%40justmoon.de&forum_name=bitcoin-development

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:37:49 PM

Yes, he ruffled a bunch of feathers by unilaterally changing bitcoin.org instead of submitting a pull request that could be tweaked and argued about.

You can see the discussion here:  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4FFBF1DF.8070203%40justmoon.de&forum_name=bitcoin-development

Thank you for the transparency.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:51:42 PM

You can see the discussion here:  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4FFBF1DF.8070203%40justmoon.de&forum_name=bitcoin-development

wow that forum sure looks like a bureaucratic hell.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 07:59:03 PM

Mmm.  That's why if I were King I'd fast forward to a couple years from now when there were several mature bitcoin clients and bitcoin.org would not list any directly at all (see w3c.org for an example, you won't find a "Download a Web Browser Now!" link).

But I'm not King and unlike the Web there aren't a bunch of mature, well-funded bitcoin clients to choose from yet.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 08:40:19 PM

Mmm.  That's why if I were King I'd fast forward to a couple years from now when there were several mature bitcoin clients and bitcoin.org would not list any directly at all (see w3c.org for an example, you won't find a "Download a Web Browser Now!" link).

But I'm not King and unlike the Web there aren't a bunch of mature, well-funded bitcoin clients to choose from yet.

that's an interesting perspective. was it your view all along that the 'mainline' client was actually just a proof-of-concept, and that the client side of things would eventually be taken over by third parties?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 10:39:16 PM

Its funny that the european government mandated internet explorer show a list of competing browsers randomly generated.

Beuraucratic hell indeed.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 12:14:48 AM

that's an interesting perspective. was it your view all along that the 'mainline' client was actually just a proof-of-concept, and that the client side of things would eventually be taken over by third parties?
Sure-- I've always liked the BitTorrent/W3C model because it is less centralized (lots of different implementations of the protocol, as opposed to a project like Perl, where essentially everybody runs the same code).  I consider Satoshi's code the "reference" client, though, not "proof-of-concept", since there is no formal specification.

(I've written a formal specification, and I think having a working reference implementation is better than An Officially Blessed Pile of Paper).

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:26:40 AM

Agreed you can't decentralize Bitcoin unless their are more then a few Bitcoin clients produced by different entities, I believe the first step to helping with this process is to helping developers understand Bitcoin at the coding level with intutive documentation.

I hope to help educate developers with the Pseudo-code Client Documentation project which is aimed at providing snippets of example codes but in Pseudocode language and in the end I hope to have different coders contribute examples codes into every language possible. The end result could be that anyone with programming "know-how" can develop their own clients for what ever the reason or cause.

Gweedo was kind enough to contribute java code to generate a bitcoin address at the command line check it out: https://github.com/Xenland/Bitcoin-Pseudocode-Client/tree/gh-pages/examples/java/Commandline%20Generate%20Bitcoin%20Address
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: