Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:23:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making my first bitcoin usb miner hub.  (Read 2925 times)
hipoy (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 10:26:37 PM

Hi guys so i have always wanted to get into bitcoin mining but never had the money to invest or wanted to put my computer through the strain. I have recently got my hands on a raspberry pi for free and now that im working im thinking of setting up a USB miner hub. Now i am aware that i will probably not make a profit for a long time if ever but its something i want to do a side project. But i was wondering what do you guys think would be a good USB miner to buy first.

So fare i have been looking at YELLOWJACKET - 2GH+ USB STICK MINER and the HEX•FURY - 11GH+ USB STICK MINER. I was thinking of getting a couple of yellow jackets or just the one hex fury. What do you guys thinking would be the best investment and are there better options or should i just spend the money on buying a miner as it will be costing me around $250 AUD all up if i go for the hex fury.

Just so you guys know what im looking in to making i came across this guide and i like the look of how it is setup so ill be making something like this.
https://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner

Thanks for the help and information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
desertfox470

Activity: 542
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 10:31:06 PM

Antminers are pretty good.  I would suggest maybe looking at a U2. Also it is very unlikely you will ever make a profit.
hipoy (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 11:04:29 PM

Is it possible to buy anything that will make a profit for $250 or would i need to pay alot more.
desertfox470

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 11:07:02 PM

Is it possible to buy anything that will make a profit for $250 or would i need to pay alot more.
Would it have to be powered by the usb hub, or would it be able to be plugged into the wall for power?
hipoy (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 11:31:07 PM

No it does not have to be USB it can be plugged into the wall.
caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 12:08:54 AM

I doubt it will make enough profit, before the difficulty increases or the halving happen.
Best option might be to buy bitcoins of that worth .

cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2014, 04:18:33 AM

250 AUD could get you much more hashing power than 2 to 11 GHS, look for a rockminer r box, still its a USB miner but 40 GHS, heck i think even the new 100GHS rockminers are still withing your price range. At least with 100GHS you can have production. If you have the time to wait I would get 1 or 2 rockminers and point them at your eobot account and MINE GHS. That was how I got started. You can also do faucets and things for any coin they have and trade them for GHS in eobot as well. Eobot is a very nice starting pool to use.

All equipment will make a profit, in due time, making a profit overnight, is not possible with any machine. Small machines are harder to make a profit on unless you have some back end cloud mining you got your hands on for free backing it up. Larher machines can get a faster ROI when the time is right. I have a 3 month ROI on my big machines. But smaller machines are much harder to do that. 10GHS may get you MAYBE 0.00000500 BTC an hour if you are lucky. and every time the difficulty increases your reward goes down.

With small rigs I advise also watch triple mining very closely, if you hop on board there at the right time, you can make a lot of BTC even with small miners. I am stil not clear why more people do not use that site, but whatever their payout is rediculously high, IF you are only in for the previous 24 hours of the block being solved, anything longer than that could not be very profitable.

desertfox470

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 05:09:26 AM

You can get some ant miner S1's or even a S3. At that range it might be better to not be a usb miner.
Itun

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:16:30 AM

Is mining off of these usb miners profitable at all?

Unless you get a sweet, sweet deal, it might be hard to make some real btc due to the ever increasing difficulty.
Braedo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

BtcMarkets - Australian Bitcoin Trading Platform

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 03:57:34 AM

I was also looking at building a small miner like this. Was hoping for 12ghs and to also set it up as a full node to help the network.

If your looking for profit this isn't the setup for you.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
██████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ██████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, double dice] ↑↓
aacoins

Activity: 112

Run a Full Node-Just Do It!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 06:49:57 AM

I was also looking at building a small miner like this. Was hoping for 12ghs and to also set it up as a full node to help the network.

If your looking for profit this isn't the setup for you.
I don't think you quite understand what a full node is but anyway12 gh/s would run you somewhere around $80 in up front cost, your power costs would be slim but still if I was doing that I would buy 2 s1's for the 80$(May be more with shipping included) underclock them (So easy a cave man could do it) and get 280 Gh/s and make 30 cents(With power factored in) a day compared to 4 cents a day.

I mean obviously you're not concerned with ROI as much as just getting your feet wet and helping the community but still 30 cents gets you a lot closer to an ROI than 4 cents

Edit:
Hi guys so i have always wanted to get into bitcoin mining but never had the money to invest or wanted to put my computer through the strain. I have recently got my hands on a raspberry pi for free and now that im working im thinking of setting up a USB miner hub. Now i am aware that i will probably not make a profit for a long time if ever but its something i want to do a side project. But i was wondering what do you guys think would be a good USB miner to buy first.

So fare i have been looking at YELLOWJACKET - 2GH+ USB STICK MINER and the HEX•FURY - 11GH+ USB STICK MINER. I was thinking of getting a couple of yellow jackets or just the one hex fury. What do you guys thinking would be the best investment and are there better options or should i just spend the money on buying a miner as it will be costing me around $250 AUD all up if i go for the hex fury.

Just so you guys know what im looking in to making i came across this guide and i like the look of how it is setup so ill be making something like this.
https://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner

Thanks for the help and information.

And as for you op buy an s3 for 170 bucks, make 2.50(before power costs) a day probably ROI before the halving (I have a bunch of these including the paycoin burst I ROI'd in ~3 months) and thats 441 Gh/s compared to 11 in the hex fury

Edit2: All prices in US $

BTC-1AacoiNQXHJtsVuTFZRZnX6iGXtFgHHYae
XPY-PAACoin14KZNe2sPcpFUH4SDah6LkbqPsF
Tip Jar Smiley
Braedo

Activity: 70

BtcMarkets - Australian Bitcoin Trading Platform

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 06:55:40 AM

I understand what a full node is.

Running an s1 at AUD0.22/KWH will likely lose me money. The mining side of the setup was merely for hobby purposes.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
██████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ██████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, double dice] ↑↓
aacoins

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 07:10:34 AM

I understand what a full node is.

Running an s1 at AUD0.22/KWH will likely lose me money. The mining side of the setup was merely for hobby purposes.

Oh wow I was unaware of australian electric prices, wow I may have to retract my statement, I only pay < 0.1 AUD/KWH for electricity and all of my s1's make me about 0.19 AUD/day after electric costs. Sorry If I came off rude, was just trying to help and the node comment was just due to wording, It's late here I'm tired and when I read it it just didn't sound right to me

Have a good one now  Smiley

EDIT: All prices translated to AUD from USD using google so if they're wrong blame google Tongue

Tip Jar Smiley
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 04:25:35 PM

maybe antminer s5, which use new nm processor, that help in low consumption
aacoins

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 04:39:55 PM

maybe antminer s5, which use new nm processor, that help in low consumption
With power rates in australia (at least by what i have read in this thread) with an investment of less than a thousand dollars ROI would be a slim shot in hell. Even with nextgen equipment they are paying more than double what I am in power and the s5 if going to take me 100+ days to roi at 200 days they may not make it before the halving and then the chance of profit are even slimmer.

So i think theyre only real choice is to mine for sport and not profit or to find a hosting solution in the US

Tip Jar Smiley
tonycamp

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:03:32 AM

if the hub is for pens do forget it you need like 1 tera hash for good income

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>