Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:08:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-06-29 forbes.com - Wikipedia's lame excuse for not accepting BTC  (Read 3748 times)
ben-abuya (OP)

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 02:54:08 PM

Wikipedia Accepts 'Enemies Of The Internet' Currencies

Jon Matonis

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/29/wikipedia-accepts-enemies-of-the-internet-currencies/

Following the disappointing example last year from the Electronic Freedom Foundation, Wikimedia specifically excludes donations in bitcoin and explains it with this odd statement:

Why does the Wikimedia Foundation not currently accept Bitcoin? The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. This has been interpreted to mean that we do not accept ‘artificial’ currencies – that is, those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government. We do, however, strive to provide as many methods of donating as possible and continue to monitor Bitcoin with interest and may revisit this position should circumstances change.

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 03:13:26 PM

Important topic. We really should convince Wikipedia to finally get on board with the Bitcoin train. It's long overdue.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 03:19:46 PM

Do you see people? Do you see how afraid people are to risk facing violence in pursuit of their freedom? How do people ever expect to be free with this kind of mindset is beyond me, they might as well just walk inside an actual cage and sign a voluntary slave contract.

Rock on Matonis, call out those enslaved pussies!

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ben-abuya (OP)

Activity: 323

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 03:26:02 PM

That reason they give is patently ridiculous. They have a fiduciary responsibility? To whom? Well, to the person who gave them the money. If that person wants to give them money in BTC, how can it be a dereliction of duty to accept it? If they want, they can convert it immediately into FRNs.

"This has been interpreted" -- note the weasel passive voice, interpreted by whom?

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 03:29:50 PM

My guess is that this is echo-on effects from the wikileaks stuff. Because wikileaks uses wikimedia software already, I guess they're trying to distance themselves by not accepting funding in the same manner. But I think this is incredibly stupid and short-sighted thinking.

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 03:32:26 PM

"This has been interpreted" -- note the weasel passive voice, interpreted by whom?

A drunk homeless man in central park who read it from a piece of paper handed to him by a wikipedia employee in exchange for $5 (full faith and credit dollars not BTC of course).

wikileaks answer is just idiotic.  At least with EFF while disappointing their answer didn't insult the intelligence of the user.  I have donated to wikipedia every single year in the past.  I never held their not accepting bitcoins against them.  I won't be donating in the future.  That answer is false and insulting to me and other donators.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 03:59:00 PM

bit-pay offers payment processing for 501(c)(3) organizations without charge and, as they claim, "ZERO Bitcoin Liability".
Maybe worth a shot for Tony to approach them directly suggesting and explaining this option.

We could also have a trusted member of the community collect donations for Wikimedia Foundation to be payed out as soon as they officially list Bitcoin as donation option. I don't think it would change anything though, because in the end they are probably just afraid to be associated with Bitcoin for whatever reason Sad

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:48:07 PM

bit-pay offers payment processing for 501(c)(3) organizations without charge and, as they claim, "ZERO Bitcoin Liability".
Maybe worth a shot for Tony to approach them directly suggesting and explaining this option.

We could also have a trusted member of the community collect donations for Wikimedia Foundation to be payed out as soon as they officially list Bitcoin as donation option. I don't think it would change anything though, because in the end they are probably just afraid to be associated with Bitcoin for whatever reason Sad

Nah-hah... screw that. Let them start accepting Bitcoin. All it takes is the slightest bit of spine. I for one would much rather donate my money to someone willing to accept BTC than to someone not willing.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 06:26:58 PM

Wikimedia Foundation does not need payment processing. What they need is donation processing, which is slightly different.

They need to be able to set up an account and, instead of getting a shopping cart plugin, just have a bitcoin address for which all received funds (minus fees) will be autoconverted to USD and deposited for them. Then they have no more excuse for not accepting bitcoin donations.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 06:29:42 PM

Nah-hah... screw that. Let them start accepting Bitcoin. All it takes is the slightest bit of spine. I for one would much rather donate my money to someone willing to accept BTC than to someone not willing.

Seriously, they aren't saying they don't know how, or that they don't see the return for the effort, or any other reason that might have a tinge of logic behind it, ... they are saying they don't want Bitcoin.  [And, by saying that, they are saying they don't want to promote Bitcoin or the idea that Bitcoin works as a payment system for donations.]

They are playing politics is all it is.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 06:33:52 PM

Hunger changes everything. Wiki is hurting for cash, I will only donate in bitcoin. Time is not on their side.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 06:45:22 PM

Wikimedia Foundation does not need payment processing. What they need is donation processing, which is slightly different.
Using a single Bitcoin address might not be the best option from a privacy and accounting perspective and frankly I don't see the big advantage compared to the way bit-pay currently handles donation processing.
Anyway - that's a surely a minor detail not really relevant for Wikimedia's decision to refuse Bitcoin donations Sad

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 06:59:33 PM

Do you see people? Do you see how afraid people are to risk facing violence in pursuit of their freedom? How do people ever expect to be free with this kind of mindset is beyond me, they might as well just walk inside an actual cage and sign a voluntary slave contract.
This.

They are playing politics is all it is.
And probably this too.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 07:54:24 PM

It has been interpreted to be responsible and prudent to hold bitcoins as long as possible.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 08:17:31 PM

If they can be picky, I guess they don't need donations very badly. No problem.
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

We should check if Conservapedia will accept bitcoin, that would attract some attention from Wikipedians. Cheesy

We could also use bounties to improve specific articles, offering "X BTC worth of USD" and convert it ourselves. That would be worth asking about on the bounty talk page, though. I think it's particularly easy to raise international software bounties with bitcoin.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 09:33:52 PM

If they can be picky, I guess they don't need donations very badly. No problem.

Made me wonder the same. To me it seems like they think its far too much effort to turn bitcoins into $$$ to spend in fiat form and any company asking for donations that relates to such a stance is clearly just taking someone for a ride.

Ive allready gotten sick and tired of their constant begging post/spreads and what not on wikipedia and the sad faces of how much they need my help.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 01:58:29 PM

Why hasn't any bitcoin fan forked wikipedia already ?

teknomunk

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:57:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  If you don't like how the Wikimedia Foundation operates, create your own.  The CC-BY-SA the content of Wikipedia is licensed under allows this to be done.

The opposite of libertarian is authoritarian | Use PGP encryption: 0x48DD8AAB | Places Accepting Bitcoin on an OpenStreetMap
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 03:00:42 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  If you don't like how the Wikimedia Foundation operates, create your own.  The CC-BY-SA the content of Wikipedia is licensed under allows this to be done.

Or we could also fuck the CC-BY-SA and make an illegal fork on Tor.

Because CC-BY-SA makes forking a real pain in the ass, and that is why there are so few forks of wikipedia.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: