Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:46:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is not a currency and this is why.  (Read 4055 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 06:04:42 AM

"I decided to fact-check myself and I (found) that Bitcoin was actually larger than some national currencies ... We've been moving up the list, if you look at the total value of all the bitcoins in circulation versus the total value of other currencies, we're up to 20 or 40 national currencies that are smaller than Bitcoin. As Bitcoin gets bigger and we move up that list, we're on the path to Bitcoin being a serious world currency." - Gavin Andresen

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:29:18 AM

"I decided to fact-check myself and I (found) that Bitcoin was actually larger than some national currencies ... We've been moving up the list, if you look at the total value of all the bitcoins in circulation versus the total value of other currencies, we're up to 20 or 40 national currencies that are smaller than Bitcoin. As Bitcoin gets bigger and we move up that list, we're on the path to Bitcoin being a serious world currency." - Gavin Andresen
There are many very small currencies that are controlled by very small countries. I wouldn't say that it would be a very big feat to be larger then these currencies.

What would be a meaningful feat would be to grow enough so that bitcoin is larger then more major economies and currencies.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:35:46 AM

There are many very small currencies that are controlled by very small countries. I wouldn't say that it would be a very big feat to be larger then these currencies.

What would be a meaningful feat would be to grow enough so that bitcoin is larger then more major economies and currencies.
Right. That's what he said.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:32:11 AM

This is extracted from the Nakamoto's paper:

A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online
payments
to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution.

Say again BTC is not a currency and you're hiding the truth.

Yeah..!! I agree.!! I take BTC as currency n I use it like one.!

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 09:23:44 AM

It is funny that the first "real" crypto-currency, that can actually claim to be a "real" currency in that it is exchanged in a loop, might not be Bitcoin but the crypto of Ecuador.  Until now they have been using the USD, but now they will have a blockchain currency.  One can only assume that it might be locked in to the USD, which will be very interesting indeed.  The ramifications of having a digital blockchain USD equivalent, might really shake up the the cryptosphere. 

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113208/ecuador-officially-launches-its-own-e-money-system

where does it say it is a blockchain currency?

bitcoiner77

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 10:33:45 PM

I Believe in bitcoin as a network and a currency because its so veristile and amazing blockchain it can be used for danm near anything i just wish it was 2011 again and I was a smarter person back then lol but wishin aint goin make it happen hehhe heres to a great 2015 for all you bitcoin involved folk !!
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:04:26 PM

A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online
payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution.
Cash is currency by definition. What cash do you think the paper is written about?

Yeah in reality you are right, I just like playing devil's advocate sometimes..... along with a little LARPING at trolling.
If paper money backed by 1's & 0's on some banksters screen is used as currency........
dmugetsu

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:16:38 PM

One thing

It's digital currency
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:27:29 PM

By same logic as OP, many government issue banknotes/bills have not been currency for a long, long time, except in isolated communities. They just go in and out of banks and tills, get recorded in ledgers whether handwritten or electronic, the value maybe forwarded by check or wire to head office. Then forwarded back as paychecks. But the specific pieces of "currency" may never complete a loop. If that is the definition, then currency isn't currency. If all we're concerned about is the value completing the loop, then bitcoin is part of many loops.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: