Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:20:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It Safe To Transfer Wallets Through The Internet?  (Read 1999 times)
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 03:36:04 PM

NOT AT ALL

What I would do is to get the private key, break it up into several pieces, encrypt each part separately, and send all the encrypted parts and their keys separately over different channels.

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sifter

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 02:10:29 PM

What I would do is to get the private key, break it up into several pieces, encrypt each part separately, and send all the encrypted parts and their keys separately over different channels.

That's actually a really good idea.

That's security.

But what I would do is just upload the dat to a cloud.

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
activebiz

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 03:30:21 PM

u should encrypt the file before sending it thru email.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 06:55:40 PM

Use 7zip with encrypted filename and pass and use an anonymous host. Mega is suposed to be encrypted. Anonfiles was also anonymous i think and safe but i think its down.
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 06:02:32 AM

It is safe if you encrypt your wallet file with a good password using a good encryption algorithm.

For your information, when people use the blockchain.info wallet service, their wallet files are encrypted in their browser and are then uploaded to the site server. Smiley
Dr. Lua

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 03:11:07 PM

If they encrypted - yes.
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 03:15:05 PM

Hi.
Stupidly, I left my BTC wallet (it's on a thumbdrive) at home. I was wondering if it was safe for someone to e-mail it to me? The wallet has a MultiBit password but i'm not entirely sure it would secure it enough. Is there a way I can completely secure it if I were to pass it through e-mail or should i just be patient and wait a week until i'm home? I currently use a temporary wallet with nothing in it - but its still a wallet.
Thanks
you can encrypt your wallet,i think in this way will be ok.
Corenin
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 03:34:45 PM

as you told your wallet is already encrypted then it is not a big risk if password is highly secured
for additional security put the wallet file in archive(zip,rar) and encrypt this also
and then ask them to send you wallet by email and password by cell phone over call
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:12:58 AM

I would second what Farmer17 said below:

I won't send it directly with emails. If you need your bitcoin urgently I would suggest you to ask someone to further encrypt the file (using 7zip, winrar, or whatever software you trust) before sending it, and ofc don't include that encryption password in the email.

A password-protected wallet put inside a password-protected ZIP file is double security. Then you can send it over the email. Of course, don't include the ZIP password in the email, just ask over the phone.

And if you're still paranoid: when you receive the wallet, you can transfer the funds to a new address immediately to start with a fresh wallet.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: