Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:48:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stamp hot wallet problem?  (Read 4314 times)
Bitalo_Martin

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 03:08:02 PM

there are exchanges like bitalo.com out there that do not take control over the coins at all but have user-side generated keys that are stored only in encrypted form on the servers, combined with full multi-signature wallets and backup transaction so that you can get the coins back, even when the site loses all data or goes completely offline.

People just need to use it :-)

Good initiative, thanks for showing us that this can work, and illustrating how irresponsible and borderline criminal established exchanges are for not adopting such practices.

Think about what Bitstamp have been working on instead: A fancy chart UI for trading and an Android app. Meanwhile, they can't even ensure or prove that cold wallet coins aren't lost.

You do realize that a multi-signature address on an exchange involves other issues that greatly impact usability as an exchange
Multi signature means both you and the exchange need to agree for funds to be spent. If the exchange is compromised in a way that does not let them use their own keys your funds will still be stuck.

Multi-sig cold storage on exchanges would be a neat feature for added trust but it would make a lot of things more complicated (try filling up a hot wallet from cold storage if you require the signatures from different users. You'd need a whole new scheme where a part of the cold wallet is still owned by the exchange which kind of defeats the whole point).

The bottom line is that if you want to be able to make fast trades in both directions (usd <-> btc)  you will have to place trust in the system to some degree because the blockchain can't help you here.

I would actually argue that currently for the majority of users it is best that an exchange handles their funds rather than sharing that responsibility (if you lose your key(s) for a multisig address on an exchange the funds are basically gone).

Transparency on how cold storage is implemented however is of prime importance. We'll see what bitstamp has to say soon and if they have done their job remotely well the damage should be minimal.

Btw it is clear that people can't withdraw if the hot wallet might be compromised. If I were running the exchange that would be my first reaction too. Stop all movements of funds until it is clear what is safe and what is not.

This is exactly the point: Multi-Signature implementations make it possible that YOU must explicitly agree that the exchange or whatever service provider can move or take control of your coins! That way you keep control, which is the basic principle of Bitcoin and why it was invented. People dont trust banks and go into bitcoin and then they use bank-like and even more shady services like Gox or Stamp? Does not make much sense to me.

Instant trading should be rather done with BTC-IOUs, not with bitcoins

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 03:11:48 PM

Until then, we'll have to cope with this amateur hour.

THIS times a trillion!

No way in hell would this happen to NYSE, NASDAQ, CME, CBOE, BATS etc...

Now I'm not comparing the scope or scale here, but until BTC exchanges up all their shit together it is indeed Mickey Mouse Club shenanigans like this that would NEVER happen on traditional major exchanges.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
raid_n

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:16:28 PM

Satoshi created a currency unit without a central party being necessary to prevent unit duplication.

And you want to tell me it's impossible for centralized exchanges to build a clever system that enables users to have some form of control over their trading funds? Well, perhaps it is.

The fact that it is centralized means that if the server(s) is in fact potentially compromised of course they can't let you control your funds because how should they know if your actions are legitimate or not?

Cold storage should ensure that in a worst case scenario most of the exchange funds are safe.

This incident will reveal if bitstamp can be trusted further down the road. We can expect a more thorough audit and if indeed only the hot wallet was compromised and users who lost funds are reimbursed
it will be a good thing not only for stamp but for confidence in bitcoin in general.

Now if that does not happen we can expect gloomy times ahead.

freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:53:13 PM

You do realize that a multi-signature address on an exchange involves other issues that greatly impact usability as an exchange
Multi signature means both you and the exchange need to agree for funds to be spent. If the exchange is compromised in a way that does not let them use their own keys your funds will still be stuck.

Multi-sig cold storage on exchanges would be a neat feature for added trust but it would make a lot of things more complicated (try filling up a hot wallet from cold storage if you require the signatures from different users. You'd need a whole new scheme where a part of the cold wallet is still owned by the exchange which kind of defeats the whole point).

The bottom line is that if you want to be able to make fast trades in both directions (usd <-> btc)  you will have to place trust in the system to some degree because the blockchain can't help you here.

I would actually argue that currently for the majority of users it is best that an exchange handles their funds rather than sharing that responsibility (if you lose your key(s) for a multisig address on an exchange the funds are basically gone).

Transparency on how cold storage is implemented however is of prime importance. We'll see what bitstamp has to say soon and if they have done their job remotely well the damage should be minimal.

Btw it is clear that people can't withdraw if the hot wallet might be compromised. If I were running the exchange that would be my first reaction too. Stop all movements of funds until it is clear what is safe and what is not.
The users don't need to hold the keys, that would be disastrous because people could trade, lose and then refuse to pay, but if Bitstamp held 3 keys on different servers and had them all sign each transaction; they would be a lot more difficult to hack.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
blade87

Activity: 644

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:57:49 PM

If Stamp is down is Coinbase not working either? Coinbase is really my only means of complete exit. Lips sealed
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:01:24 PM

freebit13: How do those servers get get the signal to sign transactions?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
freebit13

Activity: 616

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:05:29 PM

True...

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:13:34 PM

What are these??

https://blockchain.info/tx/4e2310ee5f5d95ea17878f558406e24d10e6234a614fd960bbcddcb2ccd25dd4

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:21:40 PM

they can periodically check list of pending transactions, correlate that to account balances and then sign if transaction is fine & some validations pass - like unusually high volume of tx going out would require manual intervention, etc

this way single signing server compromise will do nothing, but central db compromise will of course still be a problem, but that is much easier to secure since it does not need outside connectivity.

i am satoshi
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:25:54 PM

If Stamp is down is Coinbase not working either? Coinbase is really my only means of complete exit. Lips sealed

no they have decoupled from stamp a long time ago. so go, exit  Grin

i am satoshi
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: