Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:03:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S5 review  (Read 5588 times)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:43:32 PM

server psus and cables.....  Similar to SP20 draw per cable? I wonder if anybody has taken any readings yet.  

Both miners have 4 power connectors. The SP20 can draw significantly more power per cable.

4 cables at the kwatt meter = 552 watts  so 552 x .92 = 508 watts / 4 = 127 watts at the cable.

it must use 4 pcie cables 2 are not safe.

I am at freq 231.  I will test faster in 7 hours or so .  time to crash. I am tired.

Would I buy these yes , but I know I am changing out fans.

If I do buy some.

@ bick

is the sp20 not as loud.  if you down clock to better power numbers  like 1000 to  1300gh  it is better for sound.  I can spend $0 extra money  on a sp20.  but I can't see that with the s-5.  

Now all of mine are in a home that I share with the wife.  We will be able to sleep tonight with no noise issues since I swapped out the fans on the s-5.  I am running 7 underclocked sp20's no extra money for sound mods need . Just down clocking.

For most of us that buy it the game with the s-5 will be what is the cheapest fan replacement that allows a good clock and decent sound.  I spent 27 for the two fans.  10 on ebay for the delta and 16 on amazon for the  silverstone.

Thanks judypug... simple retro fit for S5s not a bad way or SP20s. I used to own 2 SP30's brilliant machines and sold them after they worked flawlessly for a month. Need to discuss this with my guy in Norway. Seeing as he will deal with this issue not me as the datacenter is on his turf.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Syke (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 04:47:24 PM

Syke thanks for review.  does your stock fan look like mine?

case is 38 mm but blades are 25mm?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907219.msg9980310#msg9980310

Yeah, it's the same weird fan. Works great but sounds awful.

12 hrs in and it is rock solid at 350mhz doing 1155 GH/s with 120 V and a hot room. There is no difficulty running this thing at spec as advertised. Temps running a very cool 63c.

My SP20 peaks at about 1500 GH/s under the same conditions.

Buy & Hold
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:00:46 PM

The airguides on the fans aren't a sign of a crap fan. They are designed to help shape the airflow and make it more laminar. It gives some of the benefits of  a counter-rotating fan (like the Delta GFBs) without the added cost.

If you have time, use a smoke machine and look at the flow pattern of a standard fan vs one like this or the Delta FFC1212DE. It's pretty interesting.

Does anyone else here have a 50A+ adjustable power supply? I'd be interested to see some efficiency numbers in the range of 9V-14V.
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:06:05 PM

Hi Syke,

Thank you for the review posting!!   Cheesy
I understand you're imitating our marketing techniques, but why did you copy the miner loudness ?  Grin Grin Grin

So SP, does that mean since everybody is copying, you are going to lower your price and actually report your SP20 as a 1.1-1.3T miner? Smiley
Syke (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:07:36 PM

Does anyone else here have a 50A+ adjustable power supply? I'd be interested to see some efficiency numbers in the range of 9V-14V.

Now that they have a good ASIC, I would hope they have a board in design that can adjust voltages. This would be a perfect setup for the S6.

Buy & Hold
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:13:13 PM

Now that they have a good ASIC, I would hope they have a board in design that can adjust voltages. This would be a perfect setup for the S6.
I guess it will depend if they have spontaneous combustion issues with the S5. I don't imagine they'd want to go back to buying VRM components for the S6 unless they need to.
What they might do is include a server PSU where you can trim the output voltage through PMBus instead of an ATX supply, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Tongue
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 05:16:54 PM

... if they have spontaneous combustion issues with the S5 ...
One can only hope  Grin

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
thomas_s

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:17:09 PM

Hi Syke,

I understand you're imitating our marketing techniques, but why did you copy the miner loudness ?  Grin Grin Grin

So SP, does that mean since everybody is copying, you are going to lower your price and actually report your SP20 as a 1.1-1.3T miner? Smiley
I've tested a bunch all 1.5-1.6 a few at 1.7, 1 at 1.4 due to a dead ASIC. It really depends on the environment they are in, if they are in a well cooled space they work at the advertised speeds. Well cooled isn't in most homes.
Syke (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 06:02:28 PM

Overclocked to 375 MHz. 1 hr in:

Ambient: 40c
ASIC temp: 69c
Board temp: 75c
Performance: 1250 GH/s
Power: 730 W
Efficiency: .58 J/GH (low efficiency Bronze PSU)

Buy & Hold
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 06:03:54 PM

ASIC temp: 69c
Board temp: 75c
That's interesting. Anyone know where the sensors are located?
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 06:14:17 PM

Gotta learn from the master!   Grin

Bitcoin mining will come with noise hazard and heat!!!  for commercial mining operations you'll need the ear muff, no matter you use S5 or SP20.

Hi Syke,

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 06:20:52 PM

One can only hope  Grin
Dude. Not cool.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 06:24:37 PM

Gotta learn from the master! 
You're not one to speak either, considering the launch issues beyond the S1.

MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 07:15:26 PM

Cry
As usual, S5 will get better and better!

Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 07:22:55 PM

One can only hope  Grin
Dude. Not cool.
As long as BitcoinWarranty / Yoshi are ok with my humor (and they do), it's ok.

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 07:26:05 PM

One can only hope  Grin
Dude. Not cool.
As long as BitcoinWarranty / Yoshi are taking it with Humor (and they do), it's ok.

Very healthy competition and healthy fun. Nice to see it between fabricators. Shills and fanbois should learn something.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 07:32:19 PM

Humor is a must okay!  

I don't think he really means to hope our hardware to catch on fire!  We know he is not that evil!  Good group of guys over there, too!!  

He has a bitter experience with that already...  

Bitcoin World is evolving so fast and most of us play works 24/7 non-stop with naps in between with super charged coffee or caffeine loaded drinks, we have to have humor and be positive to stay healthier  

YOSHI from Bitmain

*normally support staffs are monitoring this account...  

One can only hope  Grin
Dude. Not cool.
As long as BitcoinWarranty / Yoshi are taking it with Humor (and they do), it's ok.

Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 07:35:57 PM

Humor is okay! 

I don't think he really means to hope our hardware to catch on fire!  We know he is not that evil!  Good group of guys over there, too!! 

He has a bitter experience with that already... 

Bitcoin World is evolving so fast and most of us works 24/7 non-stop with naps in between with super charged coffee or caffeine loaded drinks, we have to have humor and be positive to stay healthier 

YOSHI from Bitmain

*normally support staffs are monitoring this account... 

One can only hope  Grin
Dude. Not cool.
tushay  lol

bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 07:40:17 PM

Bitcoin mining will come with noise hazard and heat!!!  for commercial mining operations you'll need the ear muff, no matter you use S5 or SP20.

I think this is where I take both you and SP-T to task for implying the S5 and SP20 are 'home' miners.  I unconditionally agree regarding commercial operations in data centers, server rooms, garages, etc.  But 'home' miners are in the home.  At stock settings, I believe neither of these would fit that category very well.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 07:44:15 PM

Bitcoin mining will come with noise hazard and heat!!!  for commercial mining operations you'll need the ear muff, no matter you use S5 or SP20.

I think this is where I take both you and SP-T to task for implying the S5 and SP20 are 'home' miners.  I unconditionally agree regarding commercial operations in data centers, server rooms, garages, etc.  But 'home' miners are in the home.  At stock settings, I believe neither of these would fit that category very well.

exactly, although i am pretty sure that bitmain can put better fans on S5 (they already suggested that it might be possible through BitMW) and maybe include a pull fan.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: