Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:49:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of internet speed to mining  (Read 5883 times)
EVilaghy (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:59:46 PM

I have had this question in the back of my head for a while now.

How important is internet speed to mining?  Do I need a fast connection to get a bigger payout?  I have both FIOS and TWC here and want to put all of my machines on the TWC but don't want to lose anything in terms of performance.

What's up?
BTC-TMXSTAR

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 04:52:11 PM

Same here, i also want to know  Grin
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 01:41:17 AM

No, you only need stable connection.
EVilaghy (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:06:44 AM

I found some information on another site but thank you for the simple answer it is more appreciative
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:15:15 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2014, 06:41:05 AM by Kluge

Assuming you have more than a few kb/s up and down, all that matters is latency. FIOS will probably get you ~20-40% latency reduction, but it doesn't really matter with wired broadband connections because they're already extremely low (unless the network in your particular area is way over-sold or the cable connection's going further out than it really ought to be allowed, which is always possible [but unlikely if you're in an urban-enough place to have FiOS], and you won't know until you take the plunge).

tl;dr - you're fine with anything but satellite ISP and dial-up. 3G is probably fine, 4G is good. ISDN is probably fine. T1 would be great. DSL is probably okay, but DSL performance (esp latency and reliability) varies greatly by the exact area you're installing: you can use the same DSL provider and have excellent service on one block, exceptionally shitty service on the next (the same is true with cable, but usually to a much lesser extent).

NO, REALLY, TL;DR - you're fine either way.
Window2Wall

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:32:50 AM

With stratum, your connection speed really does not matter (to a point). The stratum protocol will allow you use very little bandwidth even for a very large mining farm.

As long as you are using a wired internet connection that is considered "broadband" by modern standards you should be fine
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 02:44:49 PM

I have had this question in the back of my head for a while now.

How important is internet speed to mining?  Do I need a fast connection to get a bigger payout?  I have both FIOS and TWC here and want to put all of my machines on the TWC but don't want to lose anything in terms of performance.

What's up?

Latency is way more important then connection bandwidth, you should always choose the pool which is closest to you for best result.

EVilaghy (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:29:50 PM

On Latency,

If My S1 GUi says the machine is running at 187 but the pool says 124 then that is Latency?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:44:53 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2014, 08:06:27 PM by Kluge

On Latency,

If My S1 GUi says the machine is running at 187 but the pool says 124 then that is Latency?
Maybe. Probably just variance, though. The "gaps" between new blocks and new work, and when work actually reaches you will cause a drop in your effective overall hashrate (your miner will continue trying to solve or submit old work, but they'll be stale by the time they reach the mining pool) - but as long as you're on DSL or better, it shouldn't make any significant impact (unless you have an enormous mining farm where a .1% loss in effective overall hashrate translates to an >$500/mo loss, and then maybe you'll want to think about ways to reduce latency as much as reasonably possible).

For normal miners, I wouldn't be concerned about latency unless a ping to the server takes >100ms. A significant farm, maybe >50ms - and a mega-farm, maybe >15ms (they should probably be running their own pool). Fiber connection to a server within a couple hundred miles should have a ping around 5-20ms, cable will probably be 15-40ms, DSL probably 60-120ms (3G 80-250ms, 4G 40-140ms, satellite 80-500ms).

ETA: to add to W2W's earlier post - stratum is MUCH more gentle with latency than how it used to be. You won't need to be getting each piece of work from the server now and basically just keep going without constant communication until you receive news to switch (and hopefully, you've submitted all your completed work prior to getting news to switch) - so getting the news to switch ASAP and making sure your own work is submitted prior to that is still important, but bandwidth requirements and the overall effect of latency is much reduced.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: