Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:17:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Book club"  (Read 6480 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 04:51:39 PM

Yes sir!  Although debunking what is traditional "Leftism" will be a topic of a later book I intend to write, so I hope they come at it from a different approach.  Why I'll be writing that one later is that the traditionally "Leftist" ideologies are more complex and, some, are even more abstract so it's going to be harder to make that case.

I just can't imagine you attempting to write a book on Libertarianism without a thorough debunking of all of the following:

- Heartland Institute
- Cato Institute
- George C. Marshall Institute
- Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine
- The Oregon Petition
- Frederick Seitz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 05:24:27 PM

*  "National System of Political Economy" by F. List
*  "Harmony of Interests" by Henry C. Carey
*  "Report on Manufacturers" by Alexander Hamilton
*  "Sophisms of Free Trade" by John B. Byles
*  "Surviving the Cataclysm" by Webster G. Tarpley

Excellent. Are any of these other than the first available online? I'd be more than willing to provide the same service as I have for it.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 08:48:51 PM

Yes sir!  Although debunking what is traditional "Leftism" will be a topic of a later book I intend to write, so I hope they come at it from a different approach.  Why I'll be writing that one later is that the traditionally "Leftist" ideologies are more complex and, some, are even more abstract so it's going to be harder to make that case.

I just can't imagine you attempting to write a book on Libertarianism without a thorough debunking of all of the following:

- Heartland Institute
- Cato Institute
- George C. Marshall Institute
- Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine
- The Oregon Petition
- Frederick Seitz

That's a great point.  I haven't done the sufficient research to show the backing of all these artificially created flavors of Libertarianism, although that is a part of the book I intend to write, it is a part to which I'm going to need to do sufficient research.

That is, unless you'd like to help me write it.  It's more for the public good that I'm embarked on such a project than anything else.

Cheesy

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
niemivh

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 08:57:39 PM

Excellent. Are any of these other than the first available online? I'd be more than willing to provide the same service as I have for it.

Yes, you should be able to find all of them quite easily online as a PDF except Webster Tarpley's book.  He's the only person living on this list and therefore still has to make a living at his work.

Although I would read Tarpley's book last.  It is like 600 -700 pages and is very dense and assertive of a writing style.  The guy's clearly a grade-A genius, but his writing may come across a little abrasive because he doesn't have much sympathy debating those that he should be instructing.  I've talked to him on a few occasions (I was let into his secret little club of activists) and he conducts his meetings like he writes his books, odds are, if you are disagreeing with him you better reconsider your premise.  He's who Jeff Rense calls "the greatest living historian" and it seems pretty accurate to me.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 09:03:24 PM

Yes, you should be able to find all of them quite easily online as a PDF except Webster Tarpley's book.  He's the only person living on this list and therefore still has to make a living at his work.

Good. I'll put turning them into epubs on my "to do" list.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
niemivh

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 09:35:20 PM

Good. I'll put turning them into epubs on my "to do" list.

Also, before the accusations start flying about, I am most in line with the spirit of Hamilton, Carey and Tarpley.  F. List and J.B. Byles both had imperial aspirations but both give exquisite and throughout debunking of the then "traditional economics" (the father of modern Neo-Liberal or Washington Consensus schools) found in Smith, J.B. Say, Ricardo and Malthus.  That is why I recommend, and admire their works, because their insights and deconstruction of that mass of sophistry that was (and is) traditional (establishment) economics is admirable.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 11:18:10 PM

For "Harmony of Interests", I cannot find an intact text. The most inclusive excerpts I could find are here: http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/D/1851-1875/carey/harmxx.htm
Will that be sufficient?

I believe this is the entire text of "Report on Manufacturers" by Alexander Hamilton:
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch4s31.html

Looks like Archive.org has already done most of my work for me on "Sophisms of Free Trade":
http://archive.org/details/sophismsoffreetr032056mbp

If these documents meet your approval, I'll add them to the top posting once I'm done converting them.

niemivh

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 11:33:48 PM

For "Harmony of Interests", I cannot find an intact text. The most inclusive excerpts I could find are here: http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/D/1851-1875/carey/harmxx.htm
Will that be sufficient?

I believe this is the entire text of "Report on Manufacturers" by Alexander Hamilton:
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch4s31.html

Looks like Archive.org has already done most of my work for me on "Sophisms of Free Trade":
http://archive.org/details/sophismsoffreetr032056mbp

If these documents meet your approval, I'll add them to the top posting once I'm done converting them.

Here is Hamilton's "Report on Manufacturers", although that one you have looks like it may be intact, it posted me on Chapter 4.  If it's a complete work then that's great too.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Report_on_manufactures.html?id=gCk5AAAAMAAJ

This looks good for "Sophisms", although it's missing the first chapter for some reason:  http://books.google.com/books/about/Sophisms_of_free_trade_and_popular_polit.html?id=iZYBAAAAQAAJ .  If your link doesn't work for some reason, use this one I found.

As for "Harmony of Interests", does this work?  http://books.google.com/books?id=UukpAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

I just bought all these books in the physical sense, which was a little bit expensive, but I probably spend a few hundred on books every month, so I don't feel the sting as much - I'm used to that financial pain.  I'm still resisting the eReader technology, I'll be the last hold out.

Tongue

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 11:53:37 PM

I just bought all these books in the physical sense, which was a little bit expensive, but I probably spend a few hundred on books every month, so I don't feel the sting as much - I'm used to that financial pain.  I'm still resisting the eReader technology, I'll be the last hold out.

Tongue

The problem with the Google version of "harmony" is that it is a PDF with pictures of pages rather than pages of text. PDF is the worst format to covert from, and that's the worst kind of PDF. The other two both have epub versions, which essentially means my work on them will be limited to making sure the formatting isn't screwed. So, while I'm doing that, if you could find a PDF version of "harmony" that has text, or better yet, a plain text version of some kind, I'd greatly appreciate it.

niemivh

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 08:12:30 PM

Tongue

The problem with the Google version of "harmony" is that it is a PDF with pictures of pages rather than pages of text. PDF is the worst format to covert from, and that's the worst kind of PDF. The other two both have epub versions, which essentially means my work on them will be limited to making sure the formatting isn't screwed. So, while I'm doing that, if you could find a PDF version of "harmony" that has text, or better yet, a plain text version of some kind, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Yeah, my books was basically just printed scans of these pages and had a bunch of artifacts and nastiness.

But this is the real history of the USA's prosperity, the ruling oligarchy that we presently labor under did a heck of a job burying this history and removing it from the realm of academia.  It's this hard to find an actual unmutilated copy of it.

(I'll post it if I find it)

niemivh

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 11:29:20 PM

Tongue

Hi, how far are you along with those books?

Smiley

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 11:41:02 PM

Tongue

Smiley

They are essentially complete, but you showed no further interest, so I have left them sit in my dropbox folder. I'm not motivated to search down a legible copy of "harmony", but if you want, I can add those two links to the OP.

niemivh

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 04:33:54 PM

Tongue

Smiley

They are essentially complete, but you showed no further interest, so I have left them sit in my dropbox folder. I'm not motivated to search down a legible copy of "harmony", but if you want, I can add those two links to the OP.

So you are not reading them then?  Why is that?  What am I supposed to read that you posted other than Agorism and Steven Molyneux's "Universally Preferable Behavior"?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: