Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2016, 10:08:14 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Open Source Alternatives  (Read 1641 times)
pekv2

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 10:19:13 PM

I should say that I commonly find myself being annoyed by "user friendly" features so that is not necessarily a selling point for me. I am more interested in Linux because it allows customization. If I am already going to have a win7 partition for when I just need to get something done, my linux partition would be for doing the things that are a hassle in windows. One thing I've noticed from using windows 7 elsewhere is that it breaks alot of my scripts by demanding permissions before running a script from within a script. Using linux, there is a way to turn off this behavior, correct?:

If you change over to linux
get use to
Code:
sudo
su

and typing your PW constantly to do admin stuff which is everything, even running firestarter, you have to enter your pw.

Ok, I will probably get windows 7 and then also check out linux mint or peppermint as a second partition.

Huh

Think about it, does someone really want to learn the idiosyncrasies of 9 new programs at once? I haven't heard anyone raving about how the open source software is superior, it is just cheaper and supposedly more customizable. I think the smartest thing is to have windows to allow me to keep doing what I am doing (for the most part), then also have linux to use when windows won't cut it and for experimentation/learning.

I understand your gonna use both or might or w/e, What the three question mark confused face is for, is that, you said your gonna use windows 7 but you don't like user friendly stuff. lol  And don't take my words as bad or insulting they have no tone.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90953.msg1005699#msg1005699

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 01:27:30 AM

I am choosing to use windows 7 despite the "user friendly" aspects I find annoying because I am familiar with it, the software I am familiar with works on it, and the alternatives appear to be more of a hassle than the learning curve is worth. And no offense taken at all, I think it is discouraging that there are people who would take offense.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.