Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:23:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WikileaksCoin  (Read 823 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 10:31:54 PM

The idea is that anyone can timestamp "leaks" which can be inserted into a chain for anyone to see.

Perhaps a percentage of the coin generation goes to wikileaks or openleaks for them to monitor the chain for these leaks.

It would be hard for governments to take it down and it would be transparent which is the whole point. I wonder if bradley manning would be not in jail today if he had this ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 11:18:13 PM

The idea is that anyone can timestamp "leaks" which can be inserted into a chain for anyone to see.

Perhaps a percentage of the coin generation goes to wikileaks or openleaks for them to monitor the chain for these leaks.

It would be hard for governments to take it down and it would be transparent which is the whole point. I wonder if bradley manning would be not in jail today if he had this ?

Wikileaks take great care in removing any identifying marks from leaked documents, they don't just get stuff and publish stuff. This would remove the de-identifying work so leakers would have to do this themselves.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 11:39:42 PM

I wonder if bradley manning would be not in jail today if he had this ?

Bradley Manning would not be in jail today were he to have stuck a piece of duct tape on his mouth, figuratively speaking.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 11:57:20 PM

I wonder if bradley manning would be not in jail today if he had this ?

Bradley Manning would not be in jail today were he to have stuck a piece of duct tape on his mouth, figuratively speaking.

This is true. In the end I suppose it comes down to "doing a satoshi" if you want to keep your identity hidden.

We need all the pressure on government that we can possibly leverage. The question is how can we do this without resorting to assassination markets ?

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 12:02:46 AM

Wikileaks take great care in removing any identifying marks from leaked documents, they don't just get stuff and publish stuff. This would remove the de-identifying work so leakers would have to do this themselves.

Perhaps a charity client with addresses built in you can donate too like wikileaks would be better.

Sometimes I forget bitcoin is only pseudo-anonymous.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: