Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:41:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: how can you build a ASIC miner ?  (Read 2914 times)
zamaliphe (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 12:18:07 AM

what tools do you need and experience ?

i'm not looking to build a GPU miners as i know how i can build a GPU mining rig

i'm looking to ASIC miners
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 12:23:16 AM

People don't build ASIC miners. Companies do. People just buy them.
ruffian

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 12:24:37 AM

Companies are people
zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 12:28:17 AM

Companies are people

exactly and in fact i'm doing a start-up we are in funding face 1 now

but we are looking to create a cloud mining platform and we want to create our miners as this is the only way to lower the cost
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 12:31:47 AM

Companies are people

Or so says the US Supreme Court... when it comes to contributing to political campaigns, lol.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission

But of course, that's not what I meant. Consumers don't build ASICs. It's not like buying parts and building a PC.
zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 12:34:16 AM

i do understand what its i'm just looking for a good start
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 12:39:48 AM

Companies are people

exactly and in fact i'm doing a start-up we are in funding face 1 now

but we are looking to create a cloud mining platform and we want to create our miners as this is the only way to lower the cost

You're a newbie with a negative trust rating and you're asking for how-to-build instructions for an ASIC miner on a public forum. And you're also looking for funding to build a cloudmining operation.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=909464.0

Good luck with that, lol! You're trying to run before you can even walk.
zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 12:44:08 AM

beaning  newbie here dosnot mean i'm nob you understate me without even know who I’m

and for negative trust zon some fu* off ask me a question about a loan  them provided me with negative feedback

so any way i can walk very well in fact i was doing very good but just thought i would need an account here recently 

bearda

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 01:11:04 AM

Basically you need to have pretty advanced knowledge of digital logic/VHDL/etc, really understand the math underlying the crypto routines in block mining, and have a relationship with a facility that can handle chip fabrication.  If you're asking that question it sounds like you have none of those skills.  Seriously, it's not a task to be taken lightly.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 01:26:36 AM

Or build a board around someone else's chips, which can do pretty well if you do it right (Technobit, Peppermining etc).

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 01:31:17 AM

Or build a board around someone else's chips, which can do pretty well if you do it right (Technobit, Peppermining etc).
that is basicly what i think i will go for so which ship you think is the best profile now ? maybe fro alt coin ?
profile == (parts are easy to find AND great hash power)
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 01:38:06 AM

I don't really know. Who's selling chips currently? Anything built now is going to have to compete with a generation of 0.2-0.3W/GH stuff in a few months, which is going to hurt longevity. Also as a rule I ignore altcoins so can't (or won't, either way) give advice there.

If you can get a barrel of BE200 for cheap and underclock the crap out of 'em might be okay. Avalon's new chips are available in quantity and have decent (for extant hardware) power efficiency, not sure about pricing though. I'm looking forward to BE300 availability but information is sparse and the chips themselves are two months away.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 01:50:20 AM

I don't really know. Who's selling chips currently? Anything built now is going to have to compete with a generation of 0.2-0.3W/GH stuff in a few months, which is going to hurt longevity. Also as a rule I ignore altcoins so can't (or won't, either way) give advice there.

If you can get a barrel of BE200 for cheap and underclock the crap out of 'em might be okay. Avalon's new chips are available in quantity and have decent (for extant hardware) power efficiency, not sure about pricing though. I'm looking forward to BE300 availability but information is sparse and the chips themselves are two months away.

i dont care about power consuming i get a very cheep power  where i will be hosting this
its one of my main reasons to think about it

1-  power cheep
2- internet cheep and fast
3- location is cheep and secure

the only costly part will be the miners so if we can make them then it will be WoW
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:00:33 AM

You need to weigh the expected savings of producing miners vs purchasing exising miners in bulk from a large manufacturer, against the opportunity cost of mined coins during the time between which you'd have hardware in hand if you bought existing versus the expected start of mining from in-house-production hardware. If you can use less-efficient gear and have somewhere to put it, talk to Bitmain about some of the petahashes of S3s they're unloading on the cheap. Buy a truckload or three, run them until the daily operating cost equals the daily average yield, then start working them down with undervolts and underclocks.

zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 02:07:37 AM

i'm thinking to buy some of this

http://www.blackarrowsoftware.com/store/bitcoin-asics/

any recommendation ? suggestions of better or maybe lower rate products ?
charlieSeen

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:09:58 AM

Really?

Companies hire people to build and manufacture the chips for the company so they can sell them.

Who do you think companies design, research and test their chips?
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:13:07 AM

i'm thinking to buy some of this

http://www.blackarrowsoftware.com/store/bitcoin-asics/

any recommendation ? suggestions of better or maybe lower rate products ?

That sounds just about right.   (Blackarrow have a poor reputation)
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:24:12 AM

Really?

Companies hire people to build and manufacture the chips for the company so they can sell them.

Who do you think companies design, research and test their chips?

+1
correct thanks

I could argue all day about this. But this is clearly someone who is in over their head. And asking about chips from a known scam company (BlackArrow) boldly illustrates this.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:28:06 AM

If you want Blackarrow chips, I bet Technobit has a bunch they'd be willing to unload since they haven't put them on boards for customers due in August yet.

zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 02:29:34 AM

@all i'm not asking to urgo with any one please i'm asking for information from a trusted persons that is all what i need  if blackarrowsoftware.com is scams then this is Good i found out about this early but i saw peoples selling small amounts of chips on Ebay this is why thy must soled some before any way if you do know thy are scamming what is a good alternative thanks
zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 02:31:46 AM

If you want Blackarrow chips, I bet Technobit has a bunch they'd be willing to unload since they haven't put them on boards for customers due in August yet.

can you provide me with a link to explain this please ?
why and where?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:42:24 AM

BlackArrow was several months behind on shipping their miners. Basic things supposed to have shipped in February were unavailable in July. They offered to their customers a trade which amounted to about six Minion ASICs for every ASIC in a piece of hardware (so the X-1, a 1-chip miner, would become six loose chips) and they could do whatever they wanted with the chips. Technobit, capitalizing on that, announced a four-ASIC board built for the Minion ASIC and an offer to take in chips in trade for assembly. A four-chip board would cost eight chips - four to install on the board, and four taken as payment. They were supposed to be shipping out these boards in August. Minersource worked out a big "group buy" which should have been delivered just a hair over four months ago and, as far as I know, very few people have gotten theirs yet. Boards were trickling out at a few a day for a while, and riddled with problems. The thread hasn't been updated with progress in a couple months and I think a lot of people have just given up. So it's possible that Technobit has a crate full of Minions hanging out in the back room not doing anything - that's not saying they should, since some of those probably belong on customer boards, but some of them were taken in as payment for things which might have been delivered. If they haven't used those chips yet, they might be willing to sell them. Or stick them on boards for you?

In any case, the BlackArrow Minion is probably not a good chip to build around. If it had met its target efficiency (about 0.55W/GH) instead of blowing it pretty badly, it'd be very competetive for a while. If I'm thinking right, the $500K/25k chips comes in about $200/TH which is a good price but ASICs are only going to be half the cost of a miner - even less if PSU are considered. And BlackArrow has been really good about blowing deadlines and ripping people off, so who knows if you'd ever even get the chips.

zamaliphe (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 02:48:16 AM

@sidehack
thanks so much for your reply its one of the main reason for this post is to get information from people who have an experience in this and get suggestions from others who have try and learn from other people mistakes  Smiley

thanks so much for your answer
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 03:59:59 AM

You have 3 options.

1. Buy Bitmain miners
2. Buy Spondoolies miners
3. Spend $10,000,000 USD to build your own.

I'm guessing you can't affort option #3, so spend what little money you do have on Bitmain and Spondoolies.

Buy & Hold
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:00:16 AM

@all i'm not asking to urgo with any one please i'm asking for information from a trusted persons that is all what i need  if blackarrowsoftware.com is scams then this is Good i found out about this early but i saw peoples selling small amounts of chips on Ebay this is why thy must soled some before any way if you do know thy are scamming what is a good alternative thanks

"Urgo"?
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:14:04 AM

Just let this die. The guy has no intention of building a miner or a farm. This is all just lame backstory for funding loans for his cloud mining "operation" or actually starting a future ponzi cloud mining outfit.
ruffian

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:19:33 PM

Just let this die. The guy has no intention of building a miner or a farm. This is all just lame backstory for funding loans for his cloud mining "operation" or actually starting a future ponzi cloud mining outfit.

I agree OP probably will not be able to accomplish what he hopes to but I still find it interesting to hear about some of the knowledge needed to accomplish this. This information would not be easy to find using a simple google search and maybe somebody may be able to use some of this information in future.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:27:16 PM

I'm here not necessarily because I trust anyone to do anything ever, but because I do like the idea of building an ASIC miner and have looked into it a bit. So if that's the present discussion, I'd like to participate.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:45:58 PM

I'm here not necessarily because I trust anyone to do anything ever, but because I do like the idea of building an ASIC miner and have looked into it a bit. So if that's the present discussion, I'd like to participate.
Not accusing you of doing anything wrong, and I definitely don't mind the idea of a thread to discuss it. I'd just suggest to maybe start a new thread, so as not to possibly give legitimacy to a guy who is likely here just to scam people. Tongue
mwizard

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 11:22:38 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2015, 11:58:25 PM by mwizard

There have been several attempts by groups in the past to design their own ASIC miner board.  See for example:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641957.msg7168771#msg7168771

https://github.com/blockerupter

and

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=422243.0

and

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294235

If anyone is contemplating designing their own ASIC miner board I suggest you do a search on "Open source ASIC miners".  There were a few attempts by groups in 2013.  It may also give you an idea on what is involved.  It was not simple then, and has become far harder now with the modern chips running at very high clock rates and in some cases drawing hundreds of watts.

opieum2

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:47:29 PM

You sound incredibly ignorant of the process,hence the crap you are catching on this from people more familiar with it. IF you had done your research you would not be on here looking for help. When it comes to a venture like this it requires alot of attention to detail. How you type also reveals alot about that, with that said:

First if you are looking to get investors....you are not getting any now if have not done your research first as you have to present detailed information. First find out what is required to build your ASIC OR source the hardware from an existing chip maker along with reference designs.

An ASIC will not cost you 10 million to produce (thats the hardware supply AFTER prototyping). 15,000-20,000USD will be enough to produce a prototype. Going with a company like Synopsys they can produce that on the higher end provided you have the right engineers who understand sha256 decoding. You need some good engineers to build this which does requires investment (3 million to cover ALL up front costs roughly) If you want this venture to succeed DO NOT TAKE PRE-ORDERS! The risk must be on you. You must have hardware in hand to sell. Unless the venture is for a private mining collective, learn from the failed scams on this forum.

As a newbie, I suggest you do alot more research on how an ASIC and how it works that extends WAY beyond this forum. There is plenty of documentation on the subject on google.

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: