Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:31:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you find your private keys in bitcoin core wallet?  (Read 762 times)
doublemore (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:11:31 AM

Where do you find your private keys in bitcoin core wallet?

Read in another thread i should back them up beyond wallet.dat, so what i should write them down or something? anyway where are they and do you get a new private key for each new address i assume?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:14:50 AM

Read in another thread i should back them up beyond wallet.dat, so what i should write them down or something? anyway where are they and do you get a new private key for each new address i assume?

You assume correctly...
You need to use the help > debug interface > console (sorry, i translated this, my wallet is in my local language)
In the console, you can export your private keys, but be carefull not to expose them!

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 08:21:51 AM

Do not export your 100+ private keys and write them on paper, just make one or more good backups of the encrypted wallet.dat. If you need something you can backup on paper use an HD wallet and write down the seed. Keep in mind that you have to do regular backups with bitcoin core as the wallet keeps only ~100 address and private keys pregenerated for you.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
doublemore (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:22:21 AM

You assume correctly...
You need to use the help > debug interface > console (sorry, i translated this, my wallet is in my local language)
In the console, you can export your private keys, but be carefull not to expose them!

How do you mean expose? just as in someone physically seeing them?

Any other mistakes that can be made or is this a simple process?
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:29:06 AM

You assume correctly...

Indeed, physically seeing them, or malware stealing them... But personally, i would follow shorena's advice... I blindly pointed you to the console, without questioning why you would want to export a list of private keys...

The biggest mistake would be to expose your keys in any way OR not using a HD wallet, and forgetting to export the keys for any new addresses that get generated in the future...

All in all, read shorena's advice, it's more helpfull than mine Wink

zzaza
Legendary

Activity: 926
Merit: 1000

Zoltan - PD Moderator

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:47:24 AM

You assume correctly...

Indeed, physically seeing them, or malware stealing them... But personally, i would follow shorena's advice... I blindly pointed you to the console, without questioning why you would want to export a list of private keys...

The biggest mistake would be to expose your keys in any way OR not using a HD wallet, and forgetting to export the keys for any new addresses that get generated in the future...

All in all, read shorena's advice, it's more helpfull than mine Wink

True dat, i cant imagine a way why you would need it. +1 to shorena

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 02:13:41 AM

If you look in Bitcoin Core's menu, you will see the Backup feature. It is that easy.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: