Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:56:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Machine Advice - Hardware Advice and Which OS is best?  (Read 3973 times)
rcaruso90 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 03:53:55 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2011, 04:14:58 PM by rcaruso90

Hi All,

I'm very new to bitcoin mining. Right before i heard about BC and how awesome it is, i had ordered parts for a Hackintosh (a pc that can run mac). I would list all specs but from what i can tell GPU is the important factor. I have a "EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card" coming. I know that that's crap, but i don't game so a GPU wasn't my top priority. If it helps, i have as Intel Core i7-860 for this machine i'm building (It's the current LifeHacker.com hackintosh build if you want to see the rest of the specs).

Since i want to be able to run OS X I am thinking of upgrading to one of the ATI Radeon HD 5870 or 5770 cards that Mac Pro's can come with to ensure compatibility. (Specs for MP: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html). Would this card be good for mining? I want the card to be able to pay for itself somewhat quickly if i were to sell the BC for dollars.

Also, for software, what is the best setup? I have access to a copy of win7, OS X 10.6 and, of course, different linux distros. If it's possible to get good results on OS X I would prefer that, but i am not unwilling to boot into another OS to make some digital bank!

Lastly, it sounds like pools are better than solo mining, whats the best pool in your opinion?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

-----------
Help a newb out! 17sLsrMDafh2WKGnWHZ4rZdqxTbAjLYB5r

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:04:16 PM

the best pool is either bitcoinpool, or btcguild, because they both have no fees. deepbit is the biggest, but it has 3% fee. personally, i wouldn't use deepbit because they're inching to 50% hashing power, which could compromise the network.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
rcaruso90 (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:12:55 PM

the best pool is either bitcoinpool, or btcguild, because they both have no fees. deepbit is the biggest, but it has 3% fee. personally, i wouldn't use deepbit because they're inching to 50% hashing power, which could compromise the network.

Thanks! I looked at bitcoinpool earlier and they sound pretty good. Now i just need to get this new hardware built and running! I have a MacBook Pro now and I  didn't have any luck running Diablo Miner. Kept getting error messages. Hopefully this new machine will work.

Any tips on the hardware/software stuff?

I'd send you a tip but I have no BC yet Sad (I promise i will when i get up an running)
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:02:36 PM

linux is the best OS for mining, but windows is better for serious overclocking.

a dual-boot system - set overclock rates in windows and then boot to linux to mine with the new settings - is best, if you're somewhat experienced with overclocking.  be careful with it though - you can toast your GPU without half trying.  i note that i've been quite happy with the slightly more constrained overclocking available using AMDOverdriveCtrl in linux only.

MacOS is... well... i'm not a fan - neither of the functionality, nor of the philosophy behind it.  YMMV.
elrock

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:20:44 PM

With Mac OS, you're limited to DiabloMiner and I think just one other miner (can't remember the name, sorry).  Linux offers more options but you will be using its terminal application a lot.  (I'm primarily a Mac person but have set up a mining rig with Ubuntu.)

Here is a mining hardware comparison of the various GPUs on the market.  Looks like the 5870 may be your best choice for mining.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 07:05:02 PM

a dual-boot system - set overclock rates in windows and then boot to linux to mine with the new settings - is best, if you're somewhat experienced with overclocking.

This requires finding a proper bios and re-flashing, in order for the settings to be available in Linux, correct?  I'm mostly interested in lowering my memory clock limits as my densely-packed miners are already running near their thermal limits.  AMDOverdriveCtrl won't let me go below 625 on some of my 5870s.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
rcaruso90 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:46:49 AM

So a couple more questions, how essential is overclocking?

and how quickly do you guys earn BC? I want to try to figure out how long it will take me to earn before i invest in a nicer rig.

Also, are all 5870's good, or are some better than others...?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: