Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:35:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: closed  (Read 14858 times)
sebnow

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 08:54:17 AM

Actually, it's not "fully" insured (it being your investment)
Say you buy one for 2 BTC. If pirate defaults, you only get 1 BTC back. That's 50% insurance on 3% WPR. Still not a good idea if you think pirate will default in less than 17 weeks.
Yeah, there's no advantage to this over just depositing 1BTC with pirate and getting 7% WPR. If Pirate defaults you lose the 1 BTC either way, except you can invest the other 1 BTC in something else.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 12:06:32 AM

Say you buy one for 2 BTC. If pirate defaults, you only get 1 BTC back. That's 50% insurance on 3% WPR. Still not a good idea if you think pirate will default in less than 17 weeks.

this is precisely how I've evaluated YARR. It is in fact, a partially insured bond. The typical trading price makes the insurance considerably less valuable, and(or) the premium exceptionally high.

the current offer to sell all of YARR to the highest bidder
A. calls into question the true value of the insurance provided
B. the solidity of any investment in YARR until such time as the asset is transferred to the eventual purchaser.

I would personally be interested in YARR at 1.1-1.2.

Hopefully your sale of the YARR business will go quickly.

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 12:29:12 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2012, 12:43:15 AM by nimda

I have done a bit of work on this. It turns out that a share of YARR for any less than 1.725 BTC is the best deal anywhere, short of investing thousands of coins directly with pirate and putting thousands more in cold storage. The thread also looks at PPT.X bonds because they are also partially insured.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96092

The flip-side is that the current prices are too high; you can get the same risk and a better return by investing sans-insurance.
macboy80

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 01:25:45 AM

this is precisely how I've evaluated YARR. It is in fact, a partially insured bond. The typical trading price makes the insurance considerably less valuable, and(or) the premium exceptionally high.

B. the solidity of any investment in YARR until such time as the asset is transferred to the eventual purchaser.

I tend to agree with you. It seems that, until this sale has been completed and we know and trust the buyer, the actual value of the bond can be no more than the buyback amount of 1.3 BTC.

Disclaimer: I currently hold YARR
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 01:36:05 AM

I tend to agree with you. It seems that, until this sale has been completed and we know and trust the buyer, the actual value of the bond can be no more than the buyback amount of 1.3 BTC.

Disclaimer: I currently hold YARR
usagi has stated that YARR holds 3700 BTC in assets. Therefore, it's unreasonable to think that he would force the 1.3 BTC buyback: that would mean a loss of 1110 BTC. At least in this case, the invisible hand -- everyone doing what's best for them -- means the best for everyone.
macboy80

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:15:50 AM

usagi has stated that YARR holds 3700 BTC in assets. Therefore, it's unreasonable to think that he would force the 1.3 BTC buyback: that would mean a loss of 1110 BTC. At least in this case, the invisible hand -- everyone doing what's best for them -- means the best for everyone.

I think we misunderstand each other. I was trying to say that a prospective buyer would have the option to exercise the buyback @ 1.3 BTC, not usagi. I also do not understand your math. I see that there were 2000 shares of YARR that received a dividend today. To buy back, it would be 1.3 * 2000 = 2600 BTC leaving 1100 BTC for profit.
waltmarkers

Activity: 104

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:41:55 AM

In 3 days there will be 1,000 new backing for YARR and I will sell up to 1500 new shares around 1.40-1.50. This has been announced for about a week now. I really don't know why people like you and Nimda keep spreading FUD about 1.90, volume at that level is what, 100, compared to maybe 3,000 under 1.40.

Actually - you said people were buying it for 1.9. How is that FUD? 
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:48:43 AM

Yeah, there's no advantage to this over just depositing 1BTC with pirate and getting 7% WPR. If Pirate defaults you lose the 1 BTC either way, except you can invest the other 1 BTC in something else.

This (along with Nimda, Obsi, and Psy's statements among others) are great examples of why if you don't know how to manage your money, for god's sake give it to a competent money manager.

If you did what you said and invested 1 bitcoin in pirate and 0.9 in say mining, your total interest rate would be about 4.3% The problem is that YARR pays a comparable interest rate at just 1.4 bitcoins. So investing in YARR at or around the average sale price is a better investment than what you have proposed.

In 3 days there will be 1,000 new backing for YARR and I will sell up to 1500 new shares around 1.40-1.50. This has been announced for about a week now. I really don't know why people like you and Nimda keep spreading FUD about 1.90, volume at that level is what, 100, compared to maybe 3,000 under 1.40.
Whoa whoa! Now you're accusing me of FUD? FUD != Math. Let's look at that bold part. It is correct. However, at the time of my calculations, the market price of YARR was 1.9 Bitcoins. Therefore, an assessment based on 1.4 Bitcoins was absolutely useless. You couldn't get YARR for 1.4 Bitcoins.

Now for the blue part (color mine). I was "spreading FUD" about 1.9 because that was the price. You couldn't get a share of YARR for less than 1.9 Bitcoins.

(Subject to investor's evaluation of pirate's default risk -- as risk of him defaulting in the next month approaches ~90%, staying totally away from him becomes the only option.)

Actually - you said people were buying it for 1.9. How is that FUD? 
^Pretty much this. At this point, you are spreading lies about me. The fact is that people did pay up to 1.89 BTC for YARR. Another mathematical fact is that they weren't getting the best possible return on their risk. Now that the price is sub 1.7, YARR is again viable. Flaming me for using the market price is useless and outright libel.

I think we misunderstand each other. I was trying to say that a prospective buyer would have the option to exercise the buyback @ 1.3 BTC, not usagi. I also do not understand your math. I see that there were 2000 shares of YARR that received a dividend today. To buy back, it would be 1.3 * 2000 = 2600 BTC leaving 1100 BTC for profit.
This is true. However, the prospective buyer would pay at least 5000 BTC, so the profit would be negative.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:01:27 PM

*(there has been no official announcement that I can find but rumor has it at 5%.)

Hmm? There has been an official announcement, unless you don't consider the BS&T thread official...

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 11:17:49 PM

*(there has been no official announcement that I can find but rumor has it at 5%.)

Hmm? There has been an official announcement, unless you don't consider the BS&T thread official...

5,000+ BTC 3%
        15,000+ BTC 4%
        25,000+ BTC 5%
 is that the new rates ?

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:36:36 PM

why are you lowering now if there's whole week ahead with unchanged rates?
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:38:11 PM

There isn't.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 12:16:26 AM

There isn't.

New rates are effective 8/20...
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 12:20:41 AM

There isn't.

New rates are effective 8/20...

I guess thats for the previous weeks deposits.

puffn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 01:47:31 AM

The question now is if people run to insured pirate pass throughs to save them from full pirate default, or not. If not, I expect that the fair value is now ~1.42 instead of 1.55. This is of course when Usagi fixes the rate.

Looking for safe diversification? YABIF: Good Returns, Low Fees, Low Risk.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

I hold significant interest in
Bitcoin Mining Investments
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 03:06:33 AM

The question now is if people run to insured pirate pass throughs to save them from full pirate default, or not. If not, I expect that the fair value is now ~1.42 instead of 1.55. This is of course when Usagi fixes the rate.

Not sure why you would think the fair value would decrease. I actually think fair value will keep rising resulting in lower yields as interest rates in the Bitcoin economy in general keep declining as demand for cash declines. And interest rates will rise, later, when confidence in Pirate declines.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 05:35:34 AM

I see, thanks for explanation.
lenny_
Legendary

Activity: 1036

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 07:05:55 PM

Pirate has closed his BS&T. What will happen now with owners of YARR shares? Will you buy back all shares for 1 BTC each?

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:08:41 PM

Pirate has closed his BS&T. What will happen now with owners of YARR shares? Will you buy back all shares for 1 BTC each?
Where is this announcement?
Winterfrost

Activity: 573
Merit: 135

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:10:08 PM

Where is this announcement?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: